The assignment requires a written report that provides a solution to a Human Resource contemporary issue within a new business that has seen rapid growth within the first year of operating. The report must include relevant models, theories, and concepts from which a solution will be offered.
LO 1 Define theories, models and concepts relating to the study of human behaviour in the workplace;
LO 2 Demonstrate an understanding of how these theories can explain the way that people behave and interact at work;
LO 3 Identify and explore the role of HRM in managing the employment relationship through policy and practice.
Report, 2,500 words
As a recruitment and selection specialist consultant you are required to assess your clients’ current recruitment and selection process to identify potential issues, and produce a report that uses relevant models, theories, and concepts to provide a solution that will also increase productivity for the firm.
“Strategic resourcing is a key part of strategic human resource management i.e., matching human resources to the strategic and operational requirements of the organisation and ensuring the full utilization of those resources. It is concerned with not only obtaining and keeping the number and quality of staff required but also with selecting ... people who ‘fit’ the culture and strategic requirements of the organization.” (Armstrong, 2012. P.204)
According to Fels (2020) many new businesses that experience rapid growth can experience unexpected problems, two of the most common are operational inefficiency due to poorly trained staff, and employees being overworked and getting ready to leave.
FarmBox is a company who grow and distribute fresh food produce directly to customers via an online ordering platform, based in Cheshire, UK. The company started in 2019 and began as a family run business that was staffed by 4 family members plus two farmhands, with the use of one delivery van. As the Covid pandemic struck in 2020 the business experienced unexpected rapid growth with orders tripling almost overnight, whilst the firm has the product to meet the demand of customers, investment was needed in equipment and more importantly, the number of staff needed to increase immediately if productivity was to remain effective.
To address this the owner placed an online advert for farmhands requiring CV’s to be emailed to the business. Candidates that FarmBox were interested in took part in a 20-minute online video interview that aimed to determine their skills and suitability and then successful candidates began work once they were able to evidence that they were free of the Covid virus. Upon starting the role, each new member of staff was given a tour of the farm and worked side by side with existing staff members for a day before being given individual responsibilities. – this whole process took two weeks to complete.
Description Of The Task – What You Are Being Asked To Do?
Shortly after recruitment, selection and onboarding was completed the operational productivity for the firm decreased, orders were late or incomplete and for the first time since opening, customer complaints were received. Staff are now working longer hours than contracted and many are looking to leave the company once they have secured alternative employment.
FarmBox has decided to employ your specialist HR firm to help identify the issues and rectify them, with the hope of retaining employees and effective productivity returning.
1) Define HRM recruitment and selection models, theories, and concepts (AMO Theory, Human Capital Theory, Michigan Framework, 5 P Model etc.) that FarmBox currently have in place and explain how these can affect the behaviour of the staff within the workplace, that may also be affecting the company productivity.
2) Assess the appropriateness of the HRM models, theories and concepts that have been deployed by FarmBox and identify the positive elements and any areas of the procedure that may need to improve.
3) Identify and recommend HRM models, theories, concepts, policies, and procedures for FarmBox to adopt to improve their operational productivity and employee relations through more effective HRM talent management.
Your work will be assessed on the extent to which it demonstrates your achievement of the stated learning outcomes for this assignment (see above) and against other key criteria, as defined in the University’s institutional grading descriptors. If it is appropriate to the format of your assignment and your subject area, a proportion of your marks will also depend upon your use of academic referencing conventions.
This assignment will be marked according to the grading descriptors for Level 4
This assignment should be submitted electronically via Moodle (module tutors will discuss this process with you during class time).
• Please ensure that your work has been saved in an appropriate file format (Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint, or PDF are the most widely used; Google Docs is also accepted). Your file must also contain at least 20 words of text, consist of fewer than 400 pages and be less than 40MB in size.
• You can submit your work as many times as you like before the submission date. If you do submit your work more than once, your earlier submission will be replaced by the most recent version.
• Once you have submitted your work, you will receive a digital receipt as proof of submission, which will be sent to your forwarded e-mail address (provided you have set this up). Please keep this receipt for future reference, along with the original electronic copy of your assignment
• You are reminded of the University’s regulations on academic misconduct, In submitting your assignment, you are acknowledging that you have read and understood these regulations