1.The assignment should be your own original work and should be properly type-written in your own words. It will be checked for plagiarism using Turnitin. Any plagiarism or copying from others will be dealt with through the university’s plagiarism procedures. Similarity (plagiarism) level higher than 10% is highly suspicious.
2. The whole report should be 1500 words plus any relevant material. Any references to materials should be given in standard Harvard or Vancouver form.
3. Your assignment must be submitted electronically via blackboard by the submission time or before. The report should be contained in a Word document or pdf document. No other means of submission will be accepted.
4. Drawings can be done by hand or electronically. They can either be scanned / copied into your Word or pdf document.
5. Any assignment submitted late, but within 5 working days of the deadline, will be given a maximum mark of 50%. Assignments submitted more than 5 working days after the deadline will not be marked, and a mark of 0% will be recorded.
6. Students with special needs will be addressed on individual basis. (Candidates that may require any special requirement will be dealt with on a one-on-one basis which must be discussed with the module tutor/lead before the due date).
This assignment is structured that students show evidence for partial fulfilment of the following module learning outcomes
1. Understand current development of reliability and condition monitoring methods.
2. Perform qualitative and quantitative analysis on mechanical systems.
3. Design a complete conditioning monitoring system for a machine using ISO standards.
4. Design of complete structural health monitoring system using SAE/ ISO standards.
5. Analyse a design for itsreliability and maintainability using ISO standard techniques.
? Understand current development of reliability and condition monitoring methods.
? Perform qualitative and quantitative analysis on mechanical systems.
? Design a complete conditioning monitoring system for a machine using ISO standards.
? Design of complete structural health monitoring system using SAE/ ISO standards.
? Analyse a design for its reliability and maintainability using ISO standard techniques.
Perform failure mode effects analysis (FMEA) on the same Ford motor engine. What is the advantages and disadvantages of quantitative method like RBD over qualitative method like FMEA?
1 Review the motor vehicle industry development, summarise the reliability methodologies development in the motor vehicle industry.
2 Look thought different online resources to find failure data for various components of the Ford motor engine, and construct a reliability block diagram (RBD) analysis for the motor engine.
3 Perform failure mode effects analysis (FMEA) on the same Ford motor engine. List the advantages and disadvantages of quantitative method like RBD over qualitative method like FMEA.
4 Propose a condition monitoring system (sensory - actuation system) that can be used to monitor system operational state and prevent system/ sub-systems failure. Describe in detail the main elements of the system. Use block diagrams to support your discussion.