Learning outcomes in this assessment:
1. Explain the theory and practice of businesses
2. Describe a range of current problems and changes that organizations face in being successful Thinking skills
3. Critically evaluate research and theory to support decision-making and explain progress
4. Analyse complex issues, make reasoned judgments with incomplete data, and communicate conclusions clearly to specialist and non-specialist audiences Subject-based practical skills
5. Students will discuss good practice for organization success
6. Undertake a critical audit of skills and capabilities for a professional career and identify areas required for improvement Skills for life and work (general skills)
7. Developing and communicating critical evaluations of organization progress
8. Working effectively in teams
Individual assignment overview
The individual assignment is comprised of two parts: A and B. Part A is the simulation evaluation. Part B is the professional development reflection. Both parts are worth 50%.
Part A: Simulation evaluation
You have been managing your company in the business simulation activity for at least 5 years. You are now reviewing and presenting your future plans for the company. You are required to evaluate the success of your decisions and make recommendations for future plans. You are required to prepare and carry out a 5-year strategy review to shareholders.
You should cover:
· Vision and Strategy (e.g. vision, values, mission, HR, culture) 5%
· Performance review of each year’s progress including: 35%
â—¦ Competition analysis (10%): Porter’s five forces; market choice/share; competitors; internal capabilities; industry trends/ attractiveness;
â—¦ Simulation performance results (10%)
â—¦ Performance analysis (evaluation of strategy, decisions – Marketing / HR/ Logistics / Finance / Product development / Event response etc) (15%)
· Future Plans and recommendations 10%
â—¦ Key decisions for next 5 years, identify any changes to current strategy, why and how to achieve; recommendations – based on your performance and analysis, potential growth – internationalisation/ diversification or acquisition)
· Assess the success of the strategy or strategies compared to industry conditions and competitors.
· Analyse company performance e.g. comparing actual performance with targets in Business Plan, financial data analysis, decision analysis and justification of performance measures and strategy, application of business scorecard etc. Performance analysis further details:
· Explain why business plan achieved/ missed, why performance better/worse than competitors
· Explain differences from competitors/ industry
· Explain any changes made to business plan and company, why, any impact.
Professional Development Reflection Report
Your annual Performance Development Review is approaching. You are keen to reflect on how working in the team compares to what you have learnt on your previous MBA course and your understanding of how companies perform in your industry. You are required to prepare a report that covers research into one or two events from your simulation team looking at group dynamics, how decisions were made, leadership analysis, and implications for your professional development. This should cover:
· Identified events
· Review of relevant theory / theories / concepts
· Review of industry practices
· Application of theory and practices
· Recommendations for practice and research
Your individual report should be prepared as explained in the assessment and uploaded to the appropriate Turnitin link available on the module’s Moodle site. A cover page, which will be provided on the module’s Moodle site, should be included as part of the submission.
Written feedback will be provided via Turnitin within 15 working days of submission.