- Evaluate and interpret divergent international cultures within business
- Analyse business communication situations
TASK DESCRIPTION TASK
A UK based company is considering to move its own production to another location in a developing country (A developing country of your choice). However, the company is concerned about the differences in cultural expectations and differences in cultural sensitivity from a country to another. Therefore, as an international business communications consultant you have been tasked to prepare an inclusive report for the senior management of the company addressing those concerns highlighting the following:
- An inclusive introduction to the context of international business and communications.
- Brief introduction to the selected developing country (A Developing country of your choice).
- Application of theories of international and intercultural communication on the selected context/Country (Hofstede, Samovar, Jandt etc.)
- Critical evaluation of cultural sensitivity when doing business in the selected country supported by relevant examples.
- Discuss and analyse different communication barriers experienced by foreign businesses in the selected country supported by different examples when relevant.
- Provide appropriate communication strategies and other relevant recommendations to enable the company to succeed in the selected developing country.
- Conclude your report.
Knowledge and Understanding of Subject
Your work must demonstrate the growing extent of your knowledge and understanding of concepts and underlying principles associated with the subject area. Knowledge relates to the facts, information and skills you have acquired through your learning. You demonstrate your understanding by interpreting the meaning of the facts and information (knowledge). This means that you need to select and include in your work the concepts, techniques, models, theories, etc. appropriate to the task(s) set. You should be able to explain the theories, concepts, etc. meaningfully to show your understanding. Your mark/grade will also depend upon the extent to which you demonstrate your knowledge and understanding; ideally each should be complete and detailed, with comprehensive coverage.
Specific to this assignment: Students need to demonstrate knowledge and comprehension of the role and process of networking but also other skills and processes which are essential within IBC. Task2 – explore the advantages/disadvantages of using different languages & the language of the buyer.
Your work must contain evidence of logical, analytical thinking, evaluation and synthesis. For example, to examine and break information down into parts, make inferences, compile, compare and contrast information. This means not just describing What! but also justifying: Why? How? When? Who? Where? At all times, you must provide justification for your arguments and judgements. Evidence that you have reflected upon the ideas of others within the subject area is crucial to you providing a reasoned and informed debate within your work. Furthermore, you should provide evidence that you are able to make sound judgements and convincing arguments using data and concepts. Sound, valid conclusions are necessary and must be derived from the content of your work. There should be no new information presented within your conclusion. Where relevant, alternative solutions and recommendations may be proposed.
Specific to this assignment: Students need to evaluate & analyse the importance of different aspects of business communication especially networking in different contexts. Task 2 – illustrate the pros & cons of using the buyer’s first language at all times
1.Extent of research and/or own reading, selection of credible sources, application of appropriate referencing conventions.
- Knowledge and Understanding of Subject
Extent of knowledge and understanding of concepts and underlying principles associated with the discipline.
Analysis, evaluation and synthesis; logic, argument and judgement; analytical reflection; organisation of ideas and evidence.
- Practical Application and Deployment
Deployment of methods, materials, tools and techniques; application of concepts; formulation of innovative and creative solutions to solve problems.
- Skills for Professional Practice
Attributes in professional practice: individual and collaborative working; deployment of appropriate media; presentation and organisation.