Students pursuing higher academic studies in literature must write a character analysis. As easy as this two-word phrase – “character analysis” may sound, character analysis is one of the most challenging parts of studying literature. To begin with, students must study the main characters in a literary work and gather the character info from the characters in a play to build a character profile.
Wonder what other details are included to embellish the characters in literature. Tag along to uncover more.
Before divulging the steps on how to write about a character, let's gather some more details on the description of a character example.
Define Analysis In Literature
“What is a character study? What is the definition of character analysis?” Well, there is no such static character literary definition. But to answer 'what is a character analysis," one may say that literature characterization is a method of learning about people described in a story. When a student is asked to provide a character definition in literature, they must gather clues from a character that changes throughout the story and the events unfolding around it. How good a character analysis example turns out depends on how well a student describes the character notes taken from the story.
Now that the character analysis definition is available, it is natural to have an inquisition – "Why should one create a character analysis essay example?”
Purpose of analyzing character in literature
A character analysis example paragraph helps to check multiple tick boxes. Some of the most prominent ones include:
- The main aim of creating examples of character descriptions is to get a deeper understanding of the interweaving of various characters in literature and the plots and the plots and subplots that surround it.
- Character analysis allows examination of the justified use of literary elements like Symbolism, foreshadowing, etc.
- Provide structure to keep track of the complicated work when many characters need to be analyzed in a story
- Let readers get all the subtle details of a complicated story that might be overlooked.
- Works as an examining tool for interconnected literary work
Once the purpose is ascertained, it is easy for any student to ask how to write a good character
Methods Of Characterisation
Many students are confused when it comes to analyzing characters. Most of them wonder how to write good characters or describe characters in the best way. Well, there are many methods one can choose to define the characters. One common one includes:
If someone is interested to know how to make characters based on their physical description, they might need to describe the color of the character’s hair; the kind of dress the character wears; whether it is expensive or cheap, clean or shabby; the age of the character, etc.
- Action/attitude/behavior –
Use the action method of characterization when the assignment or assessment for a literary prompt suggests describing the behavior of the literary character. How do you write a description of a character based on the character's behavior? Experts suggest analyzing the type of character first and then highlighting how the character behaves, whether the character has a good or bad attitude, whether it is helpful or selfish, etc.
How to write a character analysis on inner thoughts? While writing a character analysis on a character's inner thoughts reveals what the character thinks, their personality, and feelings. These simple elements help readers understand the character's actions.
Now that the primary types of character analysis are known, it is natural to be interested to learn how to write a character description.
How To Do A Character Analysis?
To analyze a character, take the following steps:
1. Describe the Character's Personality
Like a human, every personality in literature is different, and so are their feelings, actions, and words. Therefore, it is easy to find out and describe the personality traits based on how the character thinks and behaves.
2. Determine the protagonist’s Character Type
Following are the types of characters a protagonist have. These character traits are usually depicted through the character’s words, actions, reactions, feelings, movements, thoughts, and mannerisms.
- Flat character- Has fixed one or two character traits
- Round character - Has a complex character that develops and changes throughout the story.
- Stock or stereotype character. These stereotypical characters are primarily observed in romantic novels or thrillers. Some of the typical character traits of these personalities include being hot-tempered stingy, and absent-minded.
- Static character. Static characters are similar to flat characters, with the only difference being that it never changes throughout the story and remains static in every event.
- Dynamic character- Dynamic characters change according to the storyline, and their growth can be observed in their actions.
- Define The Character's Role
When someone feels lost or confused about how to do character analysis, it is better to work on analyzing the character based on the character's role. Defining it after understanding the character type and personality trait helps one understand its role in a story. The character either plays a significant role, as a central element to the story, or a minor role to support the central characters in the story.
- Protagonist - The main character around which the story revolves
- Antagonist - The antagonist is the story’s villain who represents a challenge or an obstacle to the protagonist.
- Foil - A contrasting character to the protagonists is usually built to bring out the protagonists' character traits.
4. Describe The Character's Development
Explain how the character grows or unfolds in the story. Usually, a character's growth directly reflects how it deals with the story's conflict or how it unfolds. For example, in most literature, characters grow more potent after they fall apart and develop new relationships or identify a new trait in themselves.
Still Cannot Understand How To Do Character Analysis? Connect With Our Experts
Our MyAsssignmenthelp.com student support executives assist students in recognizing the steps and elements for creating a character analysis. They know how students often feel confused when they are assigned to analyze the most complicated character of a story or a character that has been hardly mentioned. However, the stringent deadline to build and submit a character analysis of literature makes them anxiously look for an expert who can teach them how to analyze a character. Without trustworthy academic helpers, students rush to our experts for exhaustive guidance. Our 100+ doctorate guides, tutors, and academic assistants have over a decade of industry experience analyzing literary characters for all academic papers and helping students score the desired academic grades.
Here is a glance at our unique features:
- 5000+ native literary character analysis experts to assist with academic papers.
- PhD-qualified scholars share secret tips to make a character analysis thorough and unique.
- Samples to show their built references
- A team of hard-working customer support executives is working 24x7 to offer the best assistance.
- Literary character analysis assistance is available at an unbelievable price.
Need instant help with literary character analysis? Get in touch with our experts.