Purpose: To analyze the psychological basis for behaviour in a person displaying features of narcissism by analyzing early life experiences, Freudian or Neo-Freudian personality development theories, and learning theories.
Write a paper of approximately 1500 to 2000 words (which includes at least one reference other than your text, and an appendix with an article relevant to your subject). Use A.P.A. format for your title page, headings, introduction, discussion and conclusion.
1) Select a person in the news who displays characteristics of narcissism. (Print ONE article that clearly exhibits features of abnormal behaviour and narcissism for your appendix). Please submit for approval prior to writing your paper (including a one paragraph summary which describes the demonstrated traits of narcissism).
2) In your “Introduction”, briefly describe the event by referencing the appendix (See Appendix), displayed traits of narcissism, and why the person’s behaviour is of particular interest to you. Following that, outline what you will be covering in your paper.
3) In the body of your paper, use headings to describe the following:
- Describe any background information that is relevant to parenting or early life/childhood or historical experiences that could have influenced the development of narcissism.
- Describe the theory of learning you believe best fits the person’s behavior.
- Describe one of the Freudian or neo-Freudian theories, and discuss how their personality development could have enhanced this disorder. Include a discussion of at least one defense mechanism that was demonstrated by your person.
- Discuss traits of psychopathy and/or sociopathy and determine if either is relevant to your “person”. If not relevant, what other disorder would match?
4) In your “Conclusion”, indicate what challenges there would be if you had a relationship with this person (roommate, work, friend, romantic). Describe your coping skills and advice to others who were in the same situation.