The Dominance of Global Agricultural Corporations: Explaining at Least Five Ways They Direct the Global Supply of Food
Next, write an essay in which you explain globalized and industrialized food production. Use the guidingquestions below to focus your discussion while providing a clear introduction, body, and conclusion.Make sure to organize your thoughts into a cohesive argument. A strong introductory paragraph canhelp you keep your paper focused and guide the reader through the whole argument. While you mayuse brief quotes from the sources, the majority of your answers should be in your own words. Inother words, I want you to explain your own understanding of the ideas, not simply quote the sources.You may choose to focus on some topics more than others but are expect to answer each question andcite all of the above sources. Don’t answer the questions as separate foci as many of the issues overlap.Use the questions to guide your written analysis of key issues and produce a single, cohesive essay.
1. Explain at least five ways that global agricultural corporations dominate and direct the global supply offood?
2. One the one hand, the USA, European Union, and Japan subsidize their domestic food productionbut on the other hand trade liberalization pacts like NAFTA or those signed under the WTO, requireother countries to remove subsidies and other “barriers to trade”. According to the materials for thisassignment, what are economic liberalization and agricultural subsidies and how are they impactingfood production and food security?
3. How have economic liberalization agreements impacted migration, food production, food customs,farmers, and food security in Mexico, South Korea, the USA, and elsewhere?
4. What are the implications of corporate ownership of seeds and other organisms (food patenting) forfarmers and food security?
5. The ETC Group argues that small farms are key to food sovereignty and security. Why are large,industrialized agricultural corporations not successful at feeding the world? How can governmentssupport the peasant food web?