CCFO1500 Critical care foundations
Critical Care Nursing is a specialty which exists to care for patients who are experiencing life-threatening health crises with a patient/family centred model of care. Nursing the critically ill patient is continuous and intensive, aided by technology. Critical Care Nurses require advanced problem solving abilities using specialized knowledge regarding the human response to critical illness. (CACCN Standards for Critical Care Nursing Practice 4th Edition 2009 Philosophical Statement)
Shock is an acute, widespread process of impaired tissue perfusion that results in cellular, metaboalic, and hemodynamic alterations. Urden Stacy Lough 8th Edition 2018 page 801
This assignment will be a review of your current nursing knowledge and experience as well as promoting new learning through your research to meet the requirements of this assignment.
Please complete the following items:
1. Describe the pathophysiology of shock.
2. Identify the primary forms of shock.
3. For each type of shock identify the causative factors and impact to the patient.
4. For each type of shock identify clinical presentations and why they occur.
5. For each type of shock describe the medical treatment plan and how each treatment modality works to improve the impact to the patient and support them in their recovery.
6. For each type of shock explore the nursing considerations for assessing, managing the patient. Also include how support or education is provided to the patient/family by the nurse and interprofessional team.