In the existing climate of fiscal accountability and demand for measurable outcomes it is important to examine our traditional practice to ensure that they are both cost efficient and that they result in optimal patient outcomes. Leadership plays a pivotal role in nursing and healthcare change (Canadian Nurses Association [CNA], 2002). Nurses in all domains of practice and at different levels are obliged to maximize their leadership potential to ensure best practice.
Furthermore, nurses have a responsibility to ask questions and not to accept the status quo, in order to initiate efforts to achieve desired changes in healthcare. Practice reflection and leadership are two of the hallmarks of professional nursing that you will continue to develop as you engage in both this course and in your other baccalaureate courses.In this lesson, you are asked to reflect on an area of practice that relates to the topics in the course modules.
The content here and what is expected to emerge in the discussion forum, are designed to align with more formalized ways we reflect on practice in order to develop deeper self-awareness of our own leadership abilities and to increase our confidence in sharing our leadership experiences and learning with others.
Upon completion of Lesson 1.2 you should be able to discuss and/or demonstrate:
• An acceptance of responsibility and accountability for professional practice and development
• Empowerment of nurses through leadership qualities and skills in a variety of practice settings
• The leadership skills that positively impact health
• Critical thinking in nursing practice, while anticipating and responding to the realities of healthcare delivery
• The evidence base for a nursing leadership practice via an exploration of personal experience that is connected to the literature
• The role of nurse managers in leadership
• Competencies in interprofessional collaboration through understanding of the roles, responsibilities, and scopes of practice of other health care providers.
Thinking about your own practice area, select a previous or current leadership practice experience that reflects some of the general objectives of NURS 415. This experience can either be one that you experienced recently or are currently experiencing in your place of practice. For example1:
• You may have developed/are developing a policy in your workplace,
• You may have developed a teaching tool that is being used by staff,
• You may have been/ are on a committee that is implementing change in your institution (a new model of care),
• You may have conducted research in a specific area in your workplace,
• You may have been a preceptor for student nurses or new staff, or
• You may have taken a leadership role in a workplace committee.
Selecting a practice area and problem identification
These are examples to foster thought only. You may have another interesting topic for consideration. Remember to choose a challenging problem related to a population of patients facing neurological, sensory, integumentary, or endocrine illnesses.
You are expected to take the initiative to contact me about the topic you have chosen to write about. In turn, I may offer helpful and insightful comments/ideas to assist you for a successful outcome. Thus, it is your responsibility to demonstrate professional responsibility and accountability in seeking appropriate guidance, in preparing for the paper, showing interest and initiative, and in maintaining confidentiality. Additionally, you must exercise prudence while dealing with ethical and legal issues.
Module 1: Nursing Practice and Issues Associated with Leadership In this paper, you are asked to consider your own practice area, and
• Choose a challenging problem related to a population of patients facing neurological,sensory, integumentary, or endocrine illnesses.
• Define the problem clearly.
• Outline current practice.
• Review the literature on best practices in relation to this problem.
• Determine best practice recommendations for your practice area and clearly reference rationale. Who are the stakeholders, other than the patient, who will be impacted by a practice change?
• Outline the tasks involved in moving to this new practice. How will you measure if change has occurred and how would you go about creating an awareness regarding need for change in your workplace?
An integral part of the leadership process is collaboration, sharing, and support. Based on the readings from Lesson 1.1 and from the work you have done in preparing ideas for your paper outline, respond to the following prompts:What have you learned about your own leadership style and skills? What about those of your colleagues? Are there areas in your own leadership repertoire that need improvement? What supports are required for you to improve your nurse leadership? How empowered do you feel you are as a change agent? Support your opinion with reference to your readings. As well, feel free to share any helpful resources on leadership development that you have found (either by adding details into the dialogue box or by adding as attachments).
A. Implementation of shared governance. An example of an interesting paper would be your participation in a Nursing Council at your place of work and you trying to facilitate change. Helping staff nurses and/or yourself develop the skill, knowledge, and
characteristics to be involved in participatory management (a leadership perspective is required).
B. Examination of the health beliefs and practices of one cultural group different from your own to which you have access. You would work with that particular group and you compare values related to health-illness caring beliefs and practices, identifying with clients’ situations requiring improvement, and develop and implement a plan for change.
C. Planning, implementation and evaluation of a continuing education program/project.You have taken the initiative to plan, implement, and evaluate a continuing education program/project for a group of nurses, clients, or individuals interested in health
promotion, disease prevention, or those seeking to improve their understanding of existing pathology, based on their self-identified learning needs.
D. Identification whether nurses should be appointed to hospital and other health-related boards in a jurisdiction. You have been part of a project/study to determine whether or not nurses should be appointed to hospital and other health-related boards in your jurisdiction. You have developed a plan and implemented strategies to follow up on findings. What were some of the successes and challenges of the project/study?