The impact of mega-events on socio-economic sustainability
1) The historical development and modernisation of contemporary events and festivals is a history full of social conflicts and tensions between different stakeholders. Drawing on the relevant academic literature, discuss this statement with particular reference to two events and/or festivals of your choice
2) Critically assess the social impacts of hosting large scale international events on the local community. Draw on the relevant academic literature and support your arguments with particular reference to, at least, 2 international events of your choice.
3) Over the last 30 years, political forces have increasingly appropriated high-profile, international mega events to pursue a variety of political objectives. Drawing on the relevant academic literature, discuss this statement with particular reference to two international events of your choice.
4) Local, national and/or international events can be an important ingredient in both nation-building and nation-branding projects. Drawing on the relevant academic literature, discuss this statement in relation to one location / country of your choice.
5) While reflecting on the realities of the Anthropocene and the usefulness of the concept of environmental sustainability, discuss the importance of striving towards environmental sustainability within local, national and/or international festival and event management. Draw on the relevant academic literature, and relevant examples of (sustainable) event management and marketing practice(es) of your choice, to support your discussion.
6) There is a growing realisation that physical change is not necessarily the best way to encourage wider social and economic development. Drawing on the relevant academic literature and one mega-event of your choice, critically discuss this statement in relation to socio-economic sustainability and mega-events.
7) Critically discuss the variety of modes in which disruptive technologies have impacted the international festival and events industry. Draw on the relevant academic literature, and a range (3-4) of specific festival and event examples of your choice, to support your discussion.