Andrezji is a 32 year old male who is currently living in a scatter flat waiting on the local authority to offer him more suitable accommodation. Andrezji works as a security guard at a local supermarket and has been there for 2 years. He also attends his local addiction counselling and rehabilitation clinic on a weekly basis.
Andrezji has issues with both alcohol and drug addiction. He is presently adhering to a methadone programme with some success but is struggling to control his alcohol intake.
Andrezji was born into a traditional nuclear family. His mother remained at home to look after Andrezji and his younger brother. His father was a plumber with his own business and the family were comfortable. However, his father was a heavy drinker and often went to the pub after work arriving home drunk. Andrezji and his brother witnessed a considerably amount of domestic harm between their parents which continued until he was Andrzej was 14 years old. This was when his father died due to liver disease.
The loss of his father meant that Andrezji and his mum and brother were plunged into poverty. For the first time they had to rely on benefits. Andrezji his brother and mum had to move home and change schools as well as trying to work through the loss of his father. Andrezji’s mother’s mental health deteriorated over the next few years. Andrezji became the family carer and took responsibility for looking after his brother and mother as best he could.
At school Andrezji struggled to keep up with work and with concentrating. In an attempt to fit in he started to hang with a crowd of boys who dabbled with drugs and alcohol which Andrezji found to be a welcome distraction to his home life.
Andrezji began to get into trouble at school and in his local community with vandalising play areas and petty theft from local shops. However, he did manage to secure a job as an apprentice joiner on leaving school. This however, did not last long as he was sacked for failing a drug and alcohol test at work.
Andrezji began a cycle of being in and out of employment. In his 20’s Andrezji met Mandy and they moved in together and quickly had two children. Andrezji still had a lot of caring responsibilities for his mother and with two children to care for he found money tight and his stress levels rising. Andrezji’s drinking became quite problematic which exacerbated his family’s financial situation and although, he never hit Mandy they did argue a lot in front of the children.
Andrezji and Mandy’s older child Lucy age 8 has started to wet the bed and has become very clingy to Mandy. Mandy, works part-time at the same supermarket Andrezji and is constantly living in fear he will be sacked for being drunk at work. Mandy has lost weight, as she is not eating properly. She loves Andrezji but his erratic behaviour is a worry.
Mandy has recently asked Andrezji to leave the family home and Andrezji has now returned to live with his mother.
Last week Andrezji received a warning from work for being late. Andrezji has been experiencing chest pain which he is worried about but is afraid to go to his GP. Andrezji misses Mandy and his children but he cannot stop drinking and choses this over his family. In the mornings, he has feelings of regret.
Mandy has not slept properly the last few months worrying about Lucy and worrying about money. Mandy has no family near her for support and is feeling isolated and when her children are in bed she cannot stop crying.
- Offer a definition of stress, which is consistent with current theories.
- A detailed description and evaluationof one current model of stress
- An explanation of the role of twointernal and two external factors in the development of stress symptoms (Please chose examples from the case study to support your answer)
- Identify and describe at least twophysical signs and symptoms of stress from individuals in the case study.
- Identify and describe least twopsychological effects of the stress reaction from individuals in the case study.
- Identify and describe at least twoemotional effects of the stress reaction from individuals within the case study.
- From the case study offer a description of at least twoways an individual’s social behaviour may alter as a result of stress
- A description of the effects Andrezji from the case study has upon his family, work performance and the community where he lives.