Demonstrate Knowledge and Understanding in the Unit
1. Demonstrate the following knowledge and understanding
- Recognize, understand and discuss the role and impact of key business and management functional areas, strategy and organizational structures and how they integrate together to achieve key organizational goals.
2. Demonstrate the following skills and abilities
- Work with others, develop your personal and professional skills and demonstrate your ability of self-management and learning and be able to use these skills for analyzing particular environments, and /or unique situations in which businesses are active.
What am I required to do in this assignment?
You may work in groups for developing this piece of the assessment, but the submission must be individual and distinctively different from other members’ submissions.
Assessment 2 is a written individual report of 2000 words (+/- 10%) based on a managerial problem which requires application to suggest practical solutions.
Your report should be in a ‘critical writing’ style and be based on the Case Study provided with examples from other organisations added as relevant Your report should focus particularly around dealing with staff issues and next step strategies as the organization grows or changes. There will be an opportunity for formative feedback following group presentations of research or case study analysis. Suggest good practical solutions in your recommendations section, supported by theories.
You will work together to develop your report in the class environment. During the class sessions, you will work to improve your understanding of the management issue identified and evaluate a business and conduct meaningful analysis and develop recommendations for the company by applying appropriate frameworks.
In order to pass Assessment 2 you will need to:
- Produce a report making use of academic theory to support conclusions and evidence based recommendations
- Demonstrate reasonable knowledge of management functions, roles and functions of managers
- Demonstrate understanding of different organizational structures, strategy and other management issues like CSR and business ethics.
- Use Harvard referencing both within the text and reference list
- Communicate effectively in an appropriate report format
We will be filling this section in together in class on Click or tap to enter a date. make sure you have downloaded/printed out the Assignment Brief and bring it to the session with you.
This unit contributes to Learning outcomes and Assessment Criteria in line with CMI Unit 501 Principles of Management and Leadership in an organisational context.
In the scheduled sessions there will be a lecture to introduce theories on a weekly topic area followed by more practical analysis and exploration around the application of theory to practice. The unit is challenging and varied in it’s approach and links to real world examples where possible.
You will be encouraged to take a ‘thinking-performer’ approach to topics in this unit, questioning the status quo and using your knowledge and skills to find creative solutions to improving organizational outcomes.
Assessment 2 enables you to showcase the learning experiences from the final weeks of the unit. You will research and analyse the case study and select a relevant business management issue to address. Your will use creativity and theory applied to the specific organisation and issue to suggest possible management behaviour and actions.
Topics typically covered in the final weeks are:
Organisational structure and change
Strategy and decision making
The roles of managers in achieving organizational goals including leadership
Critical issues in management: ethics, sustainability and corporate social responsibility
Utilise wider reading and research other material available on the organization. Write in Report format in the third person and use Harvard to reference. Use the following sections:
(title page, introduction, description of issues, knowledge of academic theory, application of theory to issues, theory used to support conclusions, recommendations, reference list and appendices as appropriate)