1 Demonstrate critical understanding of the principles of nutritional support and dietary assessment.
2 Demonstrate the following skills and abilities: Integrate assessment of a diet diary with development of appropriate nutritional recommendations and their application
What am I required to do in this assignment?
This assignment provides you a person’s biomedical information and her food intake of 3 days. You will base on the information provided to finish the tasks in the followings.
To provide a concise, written case study in format of a scientific laboratory report.
The dietary analysis must also contain the requested components practised in unit seminars/practicals:
Energy intake (3 days) / output (metabolic rate + energy expenditure etc.)
Dietary analysis summary tables (your choice from software output)appendix to include (diet diary, any additional outputs etc. – not included in word count)
Relevant graphs to assist explanation of analysis
Interpret the findings of your dietary analysis.
Outline of Report Structure
You should provide a concise, written case study in format of a scientific laboratory report. The dietary analysis must also contain the requested components practised in unit seminars. To satisfy this you must include the following in your report:
- Introduction: A briefly and concisely written introduction to the subject of the analysis.
- Method: This should be a brief yet detailed summary of “what happened” and “to whom”. Use of 3-day diet record rationale (critical approach). This should be in a logical fashion to allow the reader to repeat your work easily, e. g. the data analysis method and case information on the diet and biomedical analysis.
- Results: This is a summary of your chosen data for the case study using selective summary tables designed and graphed from Dietplan7 (not just cut and pasted! Good grades should be more synthesised!). In this you should concisely outline the main findings of your analysis. Use relevant tables and graphs to assist explanation of analysis. There should be a brief written description of each piece of data (table / graph) presented. Based on the shortcomings of his diet, you also need to propose a dietary plan (e.g. one day diet plan) to meet the needs of a clinical condition described in the case study
- Discussion: In this section you should attempt to interpret the findings of your dietary analysis. Appropriate comments need to be made on the reported results and a good attempt to link the results to previous research and relevant scientific facts. Clear reflective thought on the relevance of information included and your conclusions should be evident. Such as, general comments on her diet, the good part, as well as the bad part? Focus on the vitamins and minerals/elements do not meet the RDA/RNI. What’s the relationship of dietary fat intake and blood lipid profile; can you design dietary plan for her to meet/improve his situation; importantly, it should be focused on the dietary energy/fat/carbohydrate/protein management; All information sources used need to be clearly noted and identified formally with correct referencing.
- There are many useful nutritional assessment resources. However, one website, is worth to further learn and assess. Please go to the website https://www.dietaryguidelines.gov/ . You can use other software or apply this software to design an appropriate dietary 3 days dietary intake for this lady in the case study. You should focus on the diet which it only should be used to maintain a healthy body weight also the nutritional balance.
You should include at least 8 peer-reviewed scientific journal articles or textbooks as sources. These should be listed in Harvard referencing format, please check LRC website: https://lrweb.beds.ac.uk/media/87102/uobharvard17_18.pdf in a single reference list.
What do I need to do to pass? (Threshold Expectations from UIF)
Demonstrate the skills and understanding of how to evaluate dietary intake and requirements in a case study with dietary information under a specific disease condition.
Propose a dietary plan to meet the needs of a clinical condition described in the case study.
How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade?
- concisely understanding the case through the dietary analysis
- appreciation of case study uncertainty, and an appropriate use of scientific notation, units and any necessary calculations in your analysis
- an ability to interpret data from your case study, perform preliminary analysis of its meaning
- consideration of appropriate dietary plan with development of appropriate nutritional recommendations and their application.
How does this assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?
You are required to attend the workshop at 10-11am 18th October, Room D201 and another session will be arranged later