1. Demonstrate a knowledge of alternative research methods based on a detailed understanding of relevant literature which will enable you to define research questions, and to assess the theoretical implications and limitations of chosen research methods
2. Demonstrate the following skills and abilities · Develop a research proposal which selects and justifies an appropriate method with appropriate discussion of the theoretical underpinning for your choice, and its strengths and weaknesses
What am I required to do in this assignment?
Assessment 1 requires you to produce a literature review of no more than 1,500 words on just one of the following topics:
• The advantages and disadvantages of collecting only secondary data.
• The advantages and disadvantages of using online data collection methods.
• The advantages and disadvantages of using interviews as a source of data.
• The advantages and disadvantages of collecting primary data.
You will need to identify the pertinent issues that impact the subject chosen and construct your literature review around those themes. You will need to demonstrate some critical evaluation of the literature reviewed. You are asked to draw conclusions at the end. You will need to use appropriate and recent literature. You need to adhere strictly to the Harvard referencing system.
The proposed work is as follows:
• You will be allocated a choice of issues which are precise and invite you to research a broad range of literature.
• You will have to conduct significant literature searches so that you can identify and use suitable academic theory and findings from which to synthesize your review.
• You should address the following points in your review:
o Definition and explanation of the terms you use.
o Demonstrate your understanding of the issue/s.
o Presentation of the relevant findings to date.
o Critically evaluate the literature.
o Draw conclusions from your findings.
Guidelines and Additional Information
• Preparation for this individual requires significant effort in researching the UoB Electronic Library. You may form your own study group to discuss the topic. However, each student is required to submit an individual report, comprising their own understanding, review, critical analysis and recommendations regarding the issue that you will be given
• Your report will be well presented and logically organized.
• Good clear presentation using an appropriate structure demonstrating effort to communicate effectively will result in higher grades.
What do I need to do to pass? (Threshold Expectations from UIF)
Prepare a literature review on a specific topic demonstrating correct Harvard referencing with basic evaluation of core concepts
How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade?
We will be filling this section in together in class on Click or tap to enter a date. make sure you have downloaded/printed out the
Assignment Brief and bring it to the session with you.
How does this assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?
This unit introduces the main methods of inquiry including primary research (qualitative and quantitative) and secondary research (document/data analyses). You will be introduced to the principles and practices of undertaking rigorous research for both academic and professional purposes in class. You will develop the skills necessary to help you to undertake this assignment.