Demonstrate the following knowledge and understanding
Demonstrate a systematic understanding and critical appreciation of the interrelationship of diverse theories in the MBA toolkit to challenge existing preconceptions and develop positive and enquiring approaches to management and enterprise. Demonstrate an aptitude and ability to solve a defined business problem through enquiry having drawn upon your MBA studies and appreciating the interrelated nature of organisations.
Demonstrate the following skills and abilities
Demonstrate intelligent practice by imaginative and critical integration of theory and practice to create a tangible deliverable through critical insightful evaluation stipulating areas of excellence and reflecting on areas for development to improve performance in contemporary organisations. In addition, for specialist pathways:
- MBA (Finance) A focus on strategic finance and risk management
- MBA (Hospital and Health Services Management)
A focus on hospital and health service management and including economic, political, social and environmental change and the impact of regulatory and governance trends.
- MBA (Human Resource Management)
A focus on human resource management and development in complex situations and within and across borders.
- MBA (Logistics and Supply Chain Management)
A focus on sustainability of the relationship and expectation between markets, customers, supply chain partners and other stakeholders.
A focus on complex market situations taking account of the development and progression of the customer relationship and customer satisfaction.
- MBA (Oil and Gas Management)
A focus on the external context in which modern oil and gas organisations operate including economic, political, social and environmental change and the regulatory and governance trends impacting n different organisations.
- MBA (Digital Technology Management)
A focus on the management of communication and information technologies and contemporary information systems to inform and support decision making in a global knowledge-based economy.
What am I required to do in this assignment?
The unit aims to enable you to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of management and business as well as the skills essential to effective operation in a corporate, business, public sector or not for profit environment. It is a unit specifically designed to help your transition into the professional work environment through the integration of theory and practice supported by contemporary research evidence.
This unit provides the opportunity for you to investigate an area of interest drawing on the MBA toolkit developed through taught units and will support the development of lifelong learning through an Evidence-based management approach where analysis, evaluation and decision making are supported by research evidence from quality academic and practitioner sources.
The emphasis is on your independent learning through the application of management education to management practice to inform and enhance problem solving and decision making and to improve organisational effectiveness and performance You will develop an appreciation of the range of data sources and their collection and analysis in order to help you more critically assess a contemporary problem and solve a business issue.
Where relevant, it might be possible for students to collect primary data.please remember time is tight and, unless you have experience of data collection and analysis, this is discouraged. You will be expected to comply with the University ethics process including seeking approval where required.
The TIP Project enables you to consider a business problem, how this is framed and what solution you can present based on your appreciation of critical enquiry. The assessment requires you to consider in depth one aspect of the implementation of decisions. You will select your own topic, subject to approval by your tutor.
You will need to deliver a short Poster Presentation on your TIP Project plan to communicate:
- Potential for insightful outcomes
- Scope, aim and objectives
- Application of theory to practice
- Method of Analysis
What do I need to do to pass?
- Justify a choice of project and appraise its feasibility.
- Formulate a plan for a major project by developing aims and objectives and designing an outline method of analysis.
- Determine theories that may be appropriate for the project.
How do I produce high quality work that merits a good grade?
We will be filling this section in together in class on Click or tap to enter a date. make sure you have downloaded/printed out the Assignment Brief and bring it to the session with you.
Here are some of the requirements we will be discussing in the group briefings:
- Does your choice of topic provide potential for unique insightful outcomes?
- Is your aim clear – stated concisely in a short sentence
- You need to widely extend your reading through independent research using quality academic and practitioner sources
- What is your proposed method of analysis?
- Is evidence available?
- You will apply theory in practice for critical, in-depth analysis in the context of the chosen research topic
- You must use in-text citations throughout to acknowledge others’ ideas in support of your critical analysis
- You must use the Harvard style of referencing.
How does this assignment relate to what we are doing in scheduled sessions?
All students are expected to attend scheduled Advancing Professional Practice workshops between blocks to develop their personal, professional and academic skills in preparation for the final projects and their first post-MBA position.