221ECN Developing Academic and Professional Skills 2
This assignment is designed to assess learning outcomes 3 and 4 of the module. Students are expected to:
· Demonstrate a range of employability skills including but not limited to, team working, feasibility, presentation and time management skills.
· Reflect on their understanding of and preparation for the graduate labor market. This is an individual assignment. You are required to prepare an Employment Portfolio which showcases your employability skills. The Employment Portfolio is in 3 parts:
a) Write a reflective journal of approximately 1500 words (+/-10%) on the mock assessments and activities undertaken during the seminars with particular emphasis on how team working, verbal communication, critical thinking, adaptability, problem solving and interpersonal skills were demonstrated.
b) Complete an application pack for the placement position on page 2 consisting:
· A well-written CV
· A written cover letter
c) You have been successful at the assessment stage(s) and been invited for a video interview. Prepare a 2 minute video in response to the interview question ‘Tell me about yourself?
As the successful candidate you will be reporting to the Business Intelligence Manager and working as part of the Business Intelligence team, you'll be involved in providing insight and developing efficiencies for optimal and flexible reporting for the business. As a BI Intern you'll gain experience of the following areas:
• Execution of monthly reporting tasks.
• Helping to identify and make efficiency improvements within current reports.
• Enhancement and development of monthly reports and dashboards in an efficient and timely manner.
• Assist with the development and enhancement of Business Intelligence solutions utilizing all available resources and IT platforms in order to support an efficient and value-added process.
• Build business relationships, identify KPI’s and develop reporting requirements.
Provide ad-hoc information to business stakeholder.
Skills & Qualifications
• Keen to get an overall insight of several different functions
• Understanding of data processing and data modeling.
• Ability to collate data for business from multiple sources and send out to stakeholders with capability to build reports.
• Enjoys managing and playing with data
• Strong communication, influencing and facilitation skills.
• Ability to adapt working approach depending on specific requirements.
• Ability to work at both a detailed and high level
• Ability to work on own initiative (with support/mentoring as required)
• Ability to prioritize activities, work under pressure and multi-task
• Basic knowledge of Excel and SQL.
• Business Objects knowledge an advantage
• Individual must be outgoing and confident with a professional approach.
Please note that our Undergraduate Placement opportunities are only open to students who will be returning to their studies following their placement with us and are studying towards a relevant degree ideally, in Economics, Computer Science or Business (on target for 2.1 or above).
Criteria for Assessment
a) Reflective Journal. Breakdown as follows:
Discussion on the demonstration of the following skills:
· Team working
· Verbal communication
· Critical thinking
· Problem solving
Structure of the journal with clearly outlined introduction, main body and conclusion
Logical flow of journal
b) Application Pack. Breakdown as follows:
· Well written CV
· Written Cover Letter
c) 2 minute video interview – 20 marks. Breakdown as follows:
The video will be assessed on the following:
o Professionalism and verbal communication
o Body language
o Demonstration of intangible skills - personality, confidence, enthusiasm and passion
o Length of video