You are a middle management analyst within your organization. You have been commissioned by the CEO of your company to evaluate the business performance of a company and its competitors in the global hospitality industry. You are required to prepare a group capsule report which critically evaluates the companies’ corporate governance, financial performance and company outlook, and provide a conclusion with recommendations on the company’s strategic priorities. To achieve this,you will need to undertake the following:
- Form a group and work together to complete this written assignment. Each group must consist of two (2) to four (4) people.
- Select your company (e.g. hotel/ resort group or foodservice/ catering group). Your company and together with two main competitors, you are required to conduct research by accessing a range of sources, including information produced by the companies and external academic or professional evaluations. External data may include financial press, analyst’s reports and, industry and market reports on the companies. However, as with all secondary data you must be aware of its limitations and always question its source and trustworthiness.
- Identify, select, and use a range of secondary data on these companies to help you assess your company's growth strategies, corporate governance, financial performance.
- Use your analysis and comparisons with its competitors that will help you to develop a conclusion (strategic priorities) on the best strategic way forward for the company.
You document must be formatted using standard report conventions. It should include numbered headings and may choose to add additional levels of headings to the fully justified and use 1.5 or double spacing. A list of references should be provided, and the sources should be formatted according to the Harvard style of referencing.
Your work will be assessed against the following criteria:
To what extent does the document show detailed information about the company and its competitors, and evaluation on their growth strategies such as geographical spread, brands and markets they serve, business models (i.e. franchise, management contract, owned, leases, etc) and the comparative advantages of your company over its competitors.
The quality and evaluation of the sources used and ability to reference using the Harvard style
To what extent does the document show detailed information about the company and its competitors which include:
- Brief introduction and history
- Growth strategies (geographical spread, brands and markets they serve, business model (i.e. franchise, management contract, owned/ leases, etc)
- Competitive set and comparative advantages
Step 1: Develop a table (appendix)
Step 2: Present the findings in charts(main body)
Step 3: Comparitive overview and Evaluation (main body)
- What business models adopted by your company and your competitors? E.g. franchise, management contract, leased/ owned, etc
- What are the pros and cons for the business models adopted to grow their hotel businesses? E.g. asset light/ asset heavy? Use theory
- Is the business model appropriate for your company to grow in comparison with your competitors? Also use theory
- What brand portfolios and market segments for your company and your competitors?
- What are the pros and cons of having these brand portfolios to grow their hotel businesses? E.g. brand dilution,concentration and/or distinctiveness
- Is the brand portfolio appropriate for your company in comparison with your competitors?
- Which geographical markets- continent/countries for your company and your competitors? Are their growing their markets?
- What are the pros and cons of having these markets? Market development/ market penetration strategies?
- Is the geographical market appropriate for your company in comparison with your competitors?
Survival/growth by delivering long-term added value to its stakeholders
- The significant advantages that an organization creates over its competitors.
- Such advantages allow the organization to add more value than its competitors in the same market.