CMSE11089 Organisational Behaviour
Elements of Psychology
Purpose of this Assessment
This assessment has been designed to test the understanding and application of core concepts of organisational behaviour. As a multi-disciplinary subject that draws on elements of psychology, sociology and anthropology, organisational behaviour is an important component for aspiring managers in order to effectively manage the people within an organisation.
Scenario In the current political, economic, and social climate, a great deal of small to medium enterprises have to consider changing their organisational structure, processes and systems, infrastructure and human resources of the organisation. McKinsey (2020) stated that ‘As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to cause human suffering on a global scale, an increasing number of SMBs fear that the economic impact will also lead to a reduction in revenues and are uncertain about the future.’ As a future manager you need to develop the understanding of how to manage the soft resources of an organisation in a time of crisis by applying concepts of organisational behaviour.
Select a small to medium sized enterprise (turnover less than £25m, less than 250 employees or gross assets less than £12.5m based on the Companies Act 2006). This can be your own organisation you are currently work for or any other SME organisation that you have access to relevant information. Produce a report that analyses different components of organisational life, in the context of the selected organisation, and that provides recommendations for action in the time of uncertainty and change.
Section 1: Culture, Politics and Power
1. Using an organisational culture model, critically analyse the current organisational culture of your organisation.
2. Critically evaluate the influence of organisational politics and power in your organisation.
3. Produce recommendations for a change on organisational culture, politics and change that will benefit the organisation.
Section 2: Motivation
1. Evaluate one content theory of motivation, and one process theory of motivation and their importance to attain goals of the organisation.
2. Using one theory of motivation of your choice evaluate how to modify the behaviour of individuals in an organisation. 3. Produce recommendations on how to effectively motivate individuals in a time of crisis.
Section 3: Teamwork
1. Using relevant teamwork theories, analyse what are the components that make an effective team.
2. Applying a leadership model, and taking in consideration the concept of organisational change, critically evaluate the relevance of influencing behaviour in order to improve business performance and productivity. This provides evidence for All Learning Outcomes The format you need to follow is that of an individual written report that shows an understanding of all the concepts and theories highlighted in the brief. This report should be written in a concise, formal business style using single spacing and font size 12.
You are required to make use of headings, paragraphs and subsections as appropriate, and all work must be supported with research and referenced using the Harvard referencing system. Please also provide a bibliography using the Harvard referencing system at the end of your work. The current Assignment Brief covers the following Learning Outcomes Grading Criteria Learning Outcomes Pass Merit Distinction Task No. Evidence LO1 Analyse the influence of culture, politics and power on the behaviour of others in an organisational context P1 Analyse how an organisation’s culture, politics and power influence individual and team behaviour and performance.
M1 Critically analyse how the culture, politics and power of an organisation can influence individual and team behaviour and performance. LO1 and LO2 D1 Critically evaluate the relationship between culture, politics, power and motivation that enables teams and organisations to succeed providing justified recommendations.
Task 2 Business Report
LO2 Evaluate how to motivate individuals and teams to achieve a goal P2 Evaluate how content and process theories of motivation and motivational techniques enable effective achievement of goals in an organisational context. M2 Critically evaluate how to influence the behaviour of others through the effective application of behavioural motivational theories, concepts and models. LO3 Demonstrate an understanding of how to cooperate effectively with others P3 Explain what makes an effective team as opposed to an ineffective team.
M3 Analyse relevant team and group development theories to support the development of cooperation within effective teams. LO3 and LO4 D2 Critically analyse and evaluate the relevance of team development theories, concepts and philosophies that influence behaviour in the work place to improve business performance and productivity LO4 Apply concepts and philosophies of organisational behaviour to a given business situation P4 Apply concepts and philosophies of organisational behaviour within an organisational context and given business situation. M4 Evaluate how concepts and philosophies of OB inform and influence behaviour within a given business situation.