BUSI1360 MBA IB Key Skills
Linking your placement to theory
There a number of skills that you can develop during your placement. These include leadership, negotiation, change management and problem solving. There is a vast amount of literature on these topics.
Therefore, this module allows to critically analyse your own performance during your placement against models of good practice from the literature.
• Leadership is a well research area with multiple frameworks and concepts.
• Many organizational issues stem back to poor leadership/management:
Low staff engagement, poor productivity
• There are several different leadership frameworks including:
Leadership –Ethical Leadership
• Promotes wellbeing, citizenship behaviours and innovation
• Links found by Duan et al (2018) to Creativity
• Need to be willing to take risks
• Leaders can offer psychological empowerment to support risk taking
• Ethical leadership conceptualized by Enderle (1987) – ethics in decision making
Leadership – Your style?
• Now look at the different models/frameworks and see how you stack up against it.
• Do you have the behaviour and attributes needed for this leadership style?
• What are your strengths? What are your development needs.
1. Mobilise energy and commitment through joint identification of business problems and their solutions
2. Develop a shared vision of how to organise and manage for competitiveness
3. Identify the leadership
4. Focus on results, not on activities
5. Start change at the periphery, then let it spread to other units without pushing it from the top
6. Institutionalise success through formal policies, systems, andstructures
7. Monitor and adjust strategies in response to problems in the change process
Lewin’s Change Model
• The unfreeze, change, refreeze come from idea of changing a block of ice to an ice cone. You would have to unfreeze, then you must mould the iced water into the shape you want (change). Finally, you must solidify the new shape (refreeze).
• In change management setting this refers to:
v Unfreeze: preparing the organisation to accept that change is necessary
v Change: After the unfreeze period, implement the changes
v Refreeze: Anchor the changes into the corporate culture and develop ways to sustain the change