This Assignment assesses the following module Learning Outcomes:
1. Demonstrate the role of procurement and supply chain management within the business and strategic context
2. Demonstrate an understanding of supplier selection and the relationship this has on elements/ functions within the supply chain.
This assignment is to prepare a report tracing supply chains and logistics requirements of at least 3 raw materials used in a specific product you will be given. With this you are to prepare an outlook and strategy for the geographic or regional sourcing of these raw materials.
Electronic submission via Studynet:
▪ EVERY GROUP MEMBER TO SUBMIT AN IDENTICAL COPY OF “PART A”.
▪ Submit your own version of “Part B”
Following this you are to give (from a procurement perspective) an overview of the geographic sourcing of the key raw materials for your allocated product and, taking into account current developments, recommend a region from which to source the raw materials.
You will then need to discuss the likely logistics requirements for the product. The report should contain 4 sections:
Section 1: A discussion tracing the supply chains of the key raw materials from which your product is manufactured. This initial discussion will include a graphical overview of the supply chain of your appointed/chosen product from raw materials to final customer.
As part of your discussion, outline the manufacturing processes of the product allocated, and identify the three main raw materials used.
Section 2: Discuss the factors which need to be taken into account during the procurement of the key raw materials identified. Discuss current developments in the supply of these raw materials.
Section 3: Assuming your product is manufactured in the UK, you should recommend a country or region to supply the key raw materials for your group’s product:
Key issues to discuss include:
♦ Comment on the suitability of the various regions which might currently supply the raw materials
♦ With respect to the region you’ve recommended, discuss the current advantages and challenges faced with respect to using this area for one’s supply chain.
Section 4: Discuss the likely logistics requirements for the product, to the final assembly plant in the UK (state your assumptions for this). For this section, trace the transportation mode and “protective packaging” requirements (example stillage / racking / pallets etc) – from raw materials stage to final assembly of the product stablishing 10 full trucks of the School of Engineering and Technology
Sources should be consulted for underpinning material, they should be cited in text and a reference list included at the end of the report. If you have quoted external resources they need to be referenced appropriately, using either the Harvard or Vancouver referencing systems. The reference management software to use must be Mendeley.
Peer and Self-assessment (see below)
This is your assessment of your own, and your group members’ contribution. Each student should submit their own individual peer assessment form as a pdf document – please use the template provided.
Your mark will be moderated according to your performance in the self and peer assessment.
1. You are to submit the assignment as 2 documents (Part A and Part B) via Studynet. Each student should submit the group’s combined report (Part A) as well as the individual peer assessment (Part B).
2. This work will be marked anonymously as far as possible, and the marker will not see your names when marking the scripts. Write your group number AND all student numbers (NOT NAMES) on the first page of your submissions and include your own student number as the first characters in the filename.