Module Learning Outcomes (MLOs)
1. Demonstrate the ability to work in culturally diverse groups and teams and make appropriate and personal contributions to team effectiveness
2. Have critically evaluated personal strengths and weaknesses and have demonstrated the ability to engage in reflective self-development
3. Have critically reviewed the development of inter-personal and intra-personal skills in relation to what employers seek in postgraduate students
Instructions on Assessment
The module will be assessed by one summative assessment of 3500 words which comprises the following three components:
Part A – academic essay (1500 words) 40% of overall mark
Self-awareness is the key to career success. Using a range of relevant literature (both academic and professional sources), choose 2-3 of the core topics we have studied on this module and explore and critically evaluate why it is important for you to develop in these areas for your own successful career development.
You must include the following in your essay:
• A definition of self-awareness and an explanation of why it is important to the development of your leadership and/or management capability.
• Identify 2-3 of the core module topics from the following: giving and receiving feedback, values, learning to work in a team, emotional intelligence, cultural intelligence, personality, motivating self and others, leadership and management, and explain their importance to the development of self-awareness.
• Provide an overview of the context of your target job/profession/industry/sector with a focus on why you need to develop in the topics you have selected in order to succeed in this chosen sphere of work.
• A conclusion of your own attitudes towards self-awareness and how they might help or hinder your career development and success.
Part B – Establishing the Possessional and the Positional: A self-analysis (1500 words) 40% of overall mark
Drawing on the results of toolkits and/or psychometric texts you have completed during the course of this module, including those related to your topics of exploration in Part A , conduct a self-analysis identifying your strengths and weaknesses across the range of interpersonal and intrapersonal skills relevant to your target profession/industry/sector