Learning outcomes assessed:
1. Demonstrate a critical understanding of the nature of strategy and strategic thinking and its application within a healthcare setting.
2. Critically analyse the internal and external influences that determine the success of strategic leadership including the importance and ability to create transformational change.
3. Critically evaluate personal leadership strength and synthesise them into continuous professional development plans.
4. Critically review and assess own skills and competencies and relate them to the professional standards for continuing professional development within health and social care.
Carefully read the module handbook, the marking criteria and the grade descriptors.
You are responsible for ensuring you understand the policy and regulations about academic misconduct. You must:
• Complete this work alone except where required or allowed by this assignment briefing paper and ensure it has not been written or composed by or with the assistance of any other person.
• Make sure all sentences or passages quoted from other people’s work in this assignment (with or without trivial changes) are in quotation marks, and are specifically acknowledged by reference to the author, work an
Critically analyse and review leadership within your organisation or one that you are familiar with.
For your chosen organisation, critically explore ways to improve the organization's leadership
• Critical analyse and provide an evaluation of the organisation’s leadership:
Using key tools and theories outlined within the module e.g. Transactional Analysis, Thomas C Conflict model, in the light of your organisation’s culture, model and structure. You should use examples and contemporary research data to support your evaluation.
• Based upon your evaluation, identify and ways in which your organisation can address gaps in the leadership style or approach; Total word count for this component:
Total marks for this component: 60%
You will need to support your answers throughout with robust research & examples/benchmarks/best practice from a wide range of sources. You need to include diagrams of the models that you have used in your analysis.
Assignment task 2
Based upon your analysis and evaluation of leadership styles and approaches in task one and their impact on an organisation, critically evaluate your role as a leader within your chosen organisation.
Write a short reflective log within which you consider the following:
• Your identified style and evaluation of how this might impact on those that you manage/have managed in the past;
• A reflection upon how your leadership style has impacted on others within the workplace.
Assignment task 3
Based upon your findings in task 1 and 2, outline how you will develop your leadership style/approach over the next 12 months. Your personal development plan should include the following:
Ø Identification of TWO development objectives that you will carry out to develop and/or improve your leadership style/approach;
Ø An action plan as to how you will do this. You should consider a range of development activities, which should include practice-based learning opportunities, for example, leading on a project at work, team activity or goal, individual coaching or mentoring from a leader that you admire. You should also consider how you can gain feedback on your leadership style from various perspectives – direct reports, peers and your own line manager.
Ø A mechanism to identify that you have met your development objectives. Your development objectives should be SMART – specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-bound. You should identify the resources that you will need to complete these objectives, e.g. access to a coach or mentor, online training and materials etc.
Note that you will be expected to undertake your objectives over the course of the programme and address them in your consultancy project in semester three