Upon successful completion of this module, students will have demonstrated Knowledge
K1. That they can critically understand the human resource management issues, strategies,developments and practices adopted by different organisations and applied in a range of different institutional contexts.
K2. That they can examine the implications of multinational organisations for human resource management practices in host developed and developing market economies.
K3. That they have knowledge of the major employment policies of multinational companies and the problems that may arise within different countries.
S1. A critical understanding of the theories, systems, processes and aspects (national, strategic, operational) of international human resource management.
S2. That they can effectively apply knowledge, capacities and skills in managing an international workforce.
With reference to appropriate models, theories, frameworks and academic literature, you are required to select two of the following essay titles, one from Part A and one from Part B and provide an answer in the form of a discursive essay in not more than 2000 words for each title.
1. The influence of ‘‘culture shock’’ and its impact on expatriates who are deployed on internationalassignments is well-known in international HRM. Critically analyse and discuss how multinational corporations (MNCs) can limit its effects on staff for return on investment (ROI) and organisational effectiveness?
2. Identity and critically discuss the benefits of motivating expatriate workers in a global businessenvironment, including how this can lead to competitive advantage for an organisation?
3. Organisational strategy remains one of the core factors at the heart of organisational performance.Critically explain and analyse the relationship between organisational strategy, HR strategy and organisational performance within an international context?
1. With reference to theories and frameworks, critically examine the key differences between MNCs’ international staffing strategies and that of good practice?
2. Organisational culture is fundamental to achieving organisational success. Critically examine the relationship between national culture, organisational culture and expatriate failure to identify appropriate policies to minimise premature return of expatriates?
3. The concept of globalisation is fundamental to organisational success in the contemporary world of business. Critically identify and examine its impact on the convergence of HR practices in order for MNC’s to achieve their objectives? Word limits for assignments The word count is to be declared on the front page of your assignment. The word count does not include:
•Title and Contents page
Please note, in text citations and direct secondary quotations [e.g. “dibdab nonsense analysis” (Nwagbara, 2013, p. 689)] are INCLUDED in the word count. Summarising and compressing the information in your assignment into the word limit is one of the skills that students are expected to acquire, and demonstrate as part of the assignment process.