For this assignment, you are required to submit:
• a presentation (with commentary notes) as a PowerPoint (or similar) file.
Please refer to the assignment guidance in the assignment area of the module for further guidance on the file types accepted by Turnitin.
Demonstrate knowledge and critical understanding of building economics including development appraisal, financing, cost factors and ways in which construction costs can be controlled pre-contract and post-contract.
Use established methods and techniques to analyse alternative construction design solutions and evaluate their impact on initial and lifecycle costs.
Produce cost estimates, cost plans and lifecycle costs associated with the construction and lifecycle of new building.
Locate information sources, assemble data and communicate information, arguments and analysis using the key techniques of building economics.
As the consultant assigned to project manage the development, and in consideration of your role in ensuring a successful project delivery, you have been asked to make a presentation to the client’s team to demonstrate the importance of the early design stages of the project.
In relation to the scenario above, your boss has asked you to submit your presentation with commentary notes in advance of the meeting.
Through your presentation you are required to critically evaluate the following factors:
• the importance of establishing the client’s requirements for the development early in the design process (two slides);
• the need to consider site and design factors, and their impact on the cost of construction
and investment potential both in the short and long term (three slides);
• early cost control methods used to establish the cost limit for the project including recommendation of a suitable approach (three slides).
(presentation slides equate to 500 words of this assignment)
Clearly state your assumptions and provide examples to support your explanation or discussion. Any back-up information or calculations should be included in your commentary notes.
• The presentation should consist of a maximum of eight slides. There will be an additional title slide for your name and module details. Your list of references can be put on a further additional slide.
• The presentation should include key points only and your commentary notes should elaborate on these points.
• Please check that the commentary notes for each slide are visible before you submit the assignment.
You should include a reference list with a minimum of eight separate relevant and appropriate sources that you have written about and cited within your work. A bibliography of uncited sources is not required. Further information to support you with this assignment is available within the study materials for this module on the UCEM VLE. If you have any questions about this assignment, please contact your Module Tutor or Module Leader via the VLE.
This guidance is designed to help you to do as well as possible in your assessments by explaining how the person marking your work will be judging it.
Your work will be assessed in relation to the requirements set out in the assessment criteria marking guide at the end of this document and the grading guidance section below.
It is recommended that you read both of these sections before starting your assessment to learn what will help you to achieve the highest marks. Once you have finished you should review the assessment before submitting it, to check you have done what is required to achieve the highest marks.
When you receive your feedback from your tutor you should clearly be able to see which categories you gained marks in and, where relevant, recommendations about how to improve your performance going forward.