Evaluate healthcare strategies and organizational behavior in the healthcare sector.
Critically analyze healthcare quality, patient safety and prevention of medical errors.
Critically appraise different leadership styles and approaches in the healthcare industry.
Critically analyze the essentials of good healthcare financial management.
You are just promoted as a manager of Mayo Clinic (https://www.mayoclinic.org/). You decide to implement new overall management strategy, new strategic plan and specific organizational behavior approach. In this relation prepare your ideas and critically discuss (2 pages max):
1.1 A range of different approaches to introducing your healthcare strategy and its implementation to the hospital staff.
1.2 Analyze the impact of team cultures and behaviors in the hospital in relation to your new strategic ideas.
1.3 Develop SMART objectives to measure the success of your strategic healthcare plan. Guidelines to assignment part 1:
Look deeply trough the website of Mayo Clinic and read carefully all the information, related to its management. Find information for internal and external analysis following these steps:
1. Create a list of all resources the clinic has – human resources, material recourses, technologies, know how, financial recourses, etc.
2. Make a short analysis if the recourses are sufficient and well allocated according to the information in internet. You can use info from other sources, critically analyzing Mayo Clinic and their management – forums, analytical websites, ranking websites (like webometrics) and so on.
3. Read the websites that give you information about the factors of the external environment in which Mayo Clinic operates – political and legislative, social, cultural, demographic and so on. Include information that is new and relevant – all the facts you collect must be not 5 years older. Try to find ready-made analysis for healthcare industry and Mayo Clinic itself. Read prognosis about the future development of the industry. Use only serious and trustful websites.
4. Prepare your own plan for management of the clinic in the next 5 years. You can include any idea of yours no matter how brave it is. The plan could be half page long or more. You don’t have to include all the obligatory topics of a strategic hospital plan – just the most important – mission, objectives, strategy and its steps for implementation and control.
5. Explain the approach that you will use to introduce your strategy to the hospital staff – bottom-up, top-bottom, participative or else. Give arguments why you choose the specific approach. What are its positive and negative sides and what makes it better than the other approaches according to you?
6. Analyze the team cultures and behaviors in the hospital. Explain what culture is established in Mayo Clinic at the moment and how will be impacted by the implementation of your strategy? List some specific activities you will take in order to achieve balance and good performance of staff. Describe how will you manage the resistance to change.
7. In order to achieve better results and effectiveness in the next 5 years explain what will be the objectives in your strategic plan. Prepare them in relation with SMART requirements.
Your objectives must be specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time-related. You can include as many objectives as you wish. If they are more than 5 you have to divide them in different groups according to the work function/ dimension.