Assessment Overview: The purpose of this assessment is for you to reflect on your values, beliefs and strengths as a person and as a professional. In addition, you will identify and discuss areas for improvement whilst utilizing recognized frameworks and models.
Part 1(1000 words)
• Complete a self-reflection (do not use a formal reflection model for this part of the assessment). You are required to address all of the 6 points detailed below and use headings.
• Points 1-5 relate to the learning outcomes:
• Articulate a critical awareness of self as a healthcare professional inn the context of a variety of patterns of knowledge such as the personal, empirical, aesthetic and ethical
• Apply a selection of approaches and tools in order to critically analyse and reflect on practice
• You may also discuss related themes such as mindfulness and emotional intelligence.
Six Points of Reflection:
1. Identify and discuss at least 2 values you consider important and worthy, that guide your decisions in your personal and professional life. They can be a mix of personal and/or professional life
2. Identify and discuss your personal and professional qualities (character strengths related to what you do well) and why they are important for your personal and professional development. Include how your strengths help you to be a better friend and/or professional colleague.
3. Define in your own words, your understanding of person-centredness and person-centred care for yourself and others gathered from a variety of existing definitions which must be acknowledged/referenced. View several definitions and then summarise and paraphrase them in your own words. Reference where you gathered your information from.
4. Identify and discuss at least 2 communication skills you possess and include why they are important to you as a person and as a professional. Focus on putting person-centredness into communication. Include the principles, language and terms of person-centredness in your discussion. When you discuss why they are important include how you know why and reference from the literature.
5. Identify and discuss at least 2 strategies you use to empower and care for yourself including why they are important. Consider how you connect with your inner strengths to improve your feelings of self-worth. It is personal to you. It’s about being aware of your own needs when attempting to bring balance and self-empowerment to your (sometimes busy & stressful) life. Discuss why these strategies are important in your personal and professional life and reference how you know why.
6. Critically reflect on your answers to questions 1-5 and identify and discuss at least 2 areas you wish to improve. Include why they are important for your personal and professional development and how they may benefit your current or future practice. Reference how you know why they will improve your practice. Also include how you would ensure you attain these improvements. Demonstrate your ability to be person-centred and consider the needs of others when planning and achieving your personal and professional development goals.
Be clear and concise. You could write approximately 135 -165 words per point. Do not include events, or disease focus scenarios. This reflection is about you. Demonstrate to your reader that you understand the principles of self-reflection. This will help prepare you to complete the formal reflection using a reflection model in assessment 2.
• Identify (name) and discuss (investigate/examine/argue) your values and personal and professional strengths including areas for improvement;
• Demonstrate through your writing why self-reflection is important for you in your personal and professional life;
• Discuss why a particular strategy is important and how you know it’s important;
• When you state why and how you know something is important, you must reference your sources of information taken from the research/evidence based literature;
• Use referencing to prove a point you are trying to make;
• Discussion/analysis/argument requires deeper thinking than identifying/naming, so must include references.