As a student, you must know that plagiarism is the arch-nemesis of your academic integrity. In fact, an apparently simple act of copy-pasting can tarnish your reputation in your academic institution. Surprisingly, even after knowing how fatal this act of plagiarism can be, many students fall prey to this menace.
Some of the common things considered as plagiarism are
- Copying and Pasting from resources without attributing credit to the source
- Placing others arguments or ideas as one’s own
- Paraphrasing other’s work without footnoting the source
- Not putting quotes or sayings of others in inverted commas.
This is exactly why every student needs to be acquainted with plagiarism like the back of their hands. This way, their academic paper won’t be tainted with plagiarised content. On that note, browse through the lesser-known facts about the act of plagiarism.
25 Basic, Statistical And Conceptual Facts About Plagiarism
While writing, you must give credit wherever you use information, facts or data from the sources you found, unless it is common knowledge. You already know this part. But we bet you were not aware of the following facts listed below:
- Plagiarism is a common form of offense among students
- Plagiarism Is Rising At An Alarming Rate.
Most college presidents (55% of them) say that plagiarism in the students' papers has increased over the past 10 years.
- 19. Virtual resources are contributing to plagiarism.
According to recent research, the global accessibility of the web has resulted in an increase in plagiarism.
- 20. Stats on the postgraduate students of Malawi
A 2018 study conducted on the students of the Mzuzu University of Malawi suggested that a majority of them (86.7%) committed plagiarism intentionally or unintentionally due to the pressure of scoring good grades.
- Nigerian Young Academy
Nigerian Young Academy, a group lead by Emmanuel Unuabonah, has been actively working to make people aware of the rampant malpractice of academic plagiarism in Nigeria.
- 23. Copyright Act was modified to define plagiarism.
In 1989, several modifications were made to the legal requirement for copyright infringement. It defined that authentic works are no longer needed to be marked with a copyright symbol to have copyright protection. So, the use of already published papers, whether online or in print, would be taken as plagiarism if it is used without permission and proper citations.
- International students in the US are more vulnerable to plagiarism.
A study conducted on the international students of the University of Minnesota suggests that nearly 85% of them resorted to plagiarism. This is primarily because they weren’t well-versed in English.
Similar research from other academic institutions has also revealed that international students are caught plagiarising at twice the rate of their domestic counterparts and are more likely to misunderstand the techniques of averting academic integrity violations.
- 25. Top UK universities record 40% rise in plagiarism.
According to a news published in The Guardian, some of the top universities have witnessed at least a 40% increase in plagiarism in the academic year 2016-2017. Leeds University has witnessed a sharp rise in reports of cheating. Cases of academic dishonesty more than doubled from 181 to 433 in three years. At Glasgow University, the number rose from 161 to 394.
Plagiarism has been a persistent issue within the academic domain for a long time now. However, complete knowledge of how to deal with this menace helps keep it in check.
Did you know facts about plagiarism?
Most students are unaware of the specific practices, which leads to plagiarism. So here are 10 facts about plagiarism:
- Citations are also termed plagiarised texts by the software used online.
- Phrases in everyday English are not counted as plagiarism.
- The act of paraphrasing sentences line by line is termed plagiarism.
- Incorporating common knowledge facts in your texts will not be termed plagiarism.
- There has been a noted rise in plagiarism since students started consulting online websites for their class assignments.
- The act of plagiarism is not something for which you can get arrested. It is not a civil crime.
- However, you can include excerpts in your answer to avoid unwanted plagiarism.
- You must also cite texts from websites without an author’s name to avoid plagiarism.
- Incorporating incorrect citations in your text
- Summarising content in your own words will help you get rid of plagiarism.
Why is plagiarism so important in academic writing? - Plagiarism Facts
If you check the facts about plagiarism available online, you will notice there are different criteria that can get to be termed as plagiarism. In academic writing, there are fixed rules that one needs to keep in mind. Otherwise, they will have to face dire consequences. There are universities that suspend students found guilty of plagiarism, both intentionally and unintentionally. Also, if you read through other interesting facts about plagiarism, the institutes never stop cross-checking their old archives and guess what? They take immediate action. Such a case was witnessed by New York Public Radio, where they found their articles published back in 2011 to be plagiarised from 17 sources. Academically plagiarism is a big issue because it s related to the authenticity level of a research work or published case study. And failing on such a huge scale will put the accountability rate of the entire institute under question.
What are the disadvantages of plagiarism? - Important facts about plagiarism
Now let’s have a look into various plagiarism facts that can work as disadvantages for students:
- Destroyed reputation:The act of plagiarism puts a question mark on a student's accountability. They are made to answer for deeds and prove the authenticity level of their other submitted works.
- Legal Repercussions: Researchers using someone else's work as their own are sued under copyright laws. They are made to answer in front of the court.
- Monetary Fines: Institutes charge penalties from individual students in the form of monetary fines. Here they are made to deposit a fixed amount as a fine to the university, compensating against the detected act of plagiarism.
- Suspension of Research License:As already discussed in the important facts about plagiarism, students who were found guilty of the same act had gotten their licenses suspended by the institutes. This way, they can no longer be part of a research programme and have to come up with something else.
What is the #1 cause of plagiarism? - Interesting facts about plagiarism
There are various actions that lead to plagiarism. But before we look into the same, here let’s consider 3 facts about plagiarism:
- Free tools available online are, at times, unable to detect plagiarism.
- Plagiarism is illegal in terms of educational institutes. It is not a criminal offence.
- Plagiarism is not always about the textual part of content. It can be a graph, table or picture, to be precise.
Moving forward now, let us focus on the #1 cause of plagiarism.
As claimed by researchers, students found guilty of submitting plagiarised texts were not accustomed to the general rules of plagiarism but wanted to bag higher grades. However, they failed to understand that such an act would make them susceptible towards the penalised offence of plagiarism.
Also, here are some fun facts about plagiarism:
- First, it is an academic offence, not a civil crime.
- Using someone else’s idea also gets termed as plagiarism
Ward off traces of plagiarism with MyAssignmenthelp.com
Students all over the world share common academic dilemmas. Avoiding plagiarism is one of them. They are in constant need of original resources, ideas, and information. That’s why MyAssignmenthelp.com delivers plagiarism-free assignment solutions to all.
We are a leading academic service provider with a team of qualified writers who are adept at composing original papers. Our writers are armed with expertise and experience to produce quality assignments for any academic level. They are always careful to dig up the most authentic resources for your academic paper.
Some of the indispensable features we can't do without
- 100% unique content guaranteed
- No hidden charges
- Discounts on placing the first order
- Amazing referral bonus
Authenticity is our priority. Every academic solution prepared by our experts goes through stringent quality control measures. This way, you get plagiarism-free assignment solutions every time. Place your order now by filling up the form at the top right side of the page and improve your grades.