Common Scenarios in the Hospitality Industry
1. It is 3pm and you have just commenced your evening shift at the Grand Hotel as front desk customer service representative. Upon reviewing this evening’s arrival list/check-ins you realize you are extremely overbooked. The front office manager directs you to notify your loyal business guest, Ms. Vicky Foley of the situation and suggest a course of action.
2. You are an incentive travel planner with Merit Travel. Your group Goodyear Canada is scheduled to depart for Los Cabos in three days. This 60-delegate group is being rewarded for outstanding sales performance and you have designed an exciting itinerary of activities for them. The 5 star hotel they were booked into has notified you of water problems on the property, which has resulted in no running tap water. This may not be resolved by the time of their arrival. Contact the group leader, Mr. Bob Smith, and suggest a course of action.
3. Honeymooners, John and Sue Caldwell booked six months in advance for the Nassau South Beach Hotel. They depart Sunday morning and the property has just informed you the travel agent of property and beach damage as a result of Hurricane George. Inform your clients and save the situation.
4. Your guests Jack and Betty White are currently checked in with you at the Marriott, Miami. They arrived yesterday to spend a couple of nights before boarding their cruise ship in Miami for a 7 day Carnival Cruise. They requested an adjoining room for their children arriving this evening but it has just been brought to your attention that the guests in the adjoining room have extended their stay and will not be departing. Your front office manager has requested you notify Mr. & Mrs. White of the situation and suggest a course of action.
5. You are a coach tour escort working for Trafalgar Tours. You are scheduled to escort a group of nuns on a tour of Italy, which will include Rome and the Vatican. The hotel in Rome they are booked into for next week has just notified you of a hotel strike resulting in no accommodation there and overbooking at all other Rome hotel properties. Your job is to notify the group leader by telephone, Sister Mary Beth, and suggest a course of action.
6. Your client, the famous rock band Maroon Five, has booked a private aircraft charter with you for tomorrow morning Toronto to San Francisco. They are scheduled to perform a benefit concert in San Francisco tomorrow evening. The private aircraft is currently grounded in Miami as a result of a major weather disturbance and hurricane. It is possible the aircraft may not make it back to Toronto in time to fly the group to San Francisco before their concert. Notify the group manager, Mr. Frank Grotto, and suggest a course of action.
7. You are a catering coordinator with the Westin Harbour Castle Hotel. Your clients Joe Villani and Gina Garabaldi are being married tomorrow with the reception for 500 people at your hotel. The wedding cake has arrived and it is badly damaged. Call Gina and break the news. Suggest a course of action.
8. You are a travel agent and just realized that you sent the wrong flight e tickets to your clients, Tim and Sarah Hughes. Your clients are booked on a flight leaving for Cancun, Mexico this evening and in error you have given them tickets for a flight departing tomorrow evening. How can you leave a message to make this situation right?
9. You are employed as the dining room manager at the Oliver & Bonacini Restaurant, Bayview Village. Last evening the kitchen had a small grease fire resulting in the closure of the restaurant for the next 7 days for renovations. Your party room was booked this Sunday for a private 50thBirthday lunch. It is essential you notify the client Ms. Judy Black and suggest the course of action.
10. You are employed with the Courtyard Marriot, Markham as a food & beverage server and you have just had a visit from the local health inspector. They have closed your restaurant for tomorrow due to high bacteria count in the refrigerator. You must notify your regular guest Sue Mills and identify a course of action.
11. You are employed as a call center representative at Great Wolf Lodge, Niagara and your pool has just been closed for a two day intense cleaning. Your manager has requested you notify this evening arriving guests the Dickson family and their 4,6, and 8 year old children including a suitable course of action.