Virtual Communication Best Practices
You work for Quartz Power Group (QPG), an energy company in the United Kingdom. Your boss, Marcus White, Managing Director, has asked you to provide a report that gives best practices for running virtual meetings as the pandemic has your organization working virtually. QOG has implemented the use of MS Teams to hold their organizational meetings and Marcus is frustrated after the first few weeks as team members are using their cell phones during these meetings, not listening or responding, and some members aren’t even showing up for the meetings even though they have accepted the meeting invite.
As the Administrative Advisor for Quartz Power Group, you understand that working with real-time communication tools can have advantages and disadvantages. Developing this report will persuade Marcus to incorporate best practices into their virtual meetings.
The report body will include:
1. An introduction that describes the issue.
2. The analysis section will include two main parts:
a. You will start the report with best practices that QPG has already adapted. Watch this video of Marcus chairing a meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPhKhTI0Lss. Identify five best practices that QPG uses in this meeting and provide another three to five best practices for meetings using outside sources. Use a minimum of two outside resources such as the textbook, websites, blogs, or other internetresources. The purpose of identifying these is to ensure that your report explains to Marcus what the company does well (backed by research) and how they can transition these best practices to a virtual platform.
b. Research and identify eight to ten best practices for virtual meetings that QPG could implement. =Demonstrate how these are the same or new to the face-to-face meetings that QPG uses so Marcus
will understand how easy this will be to implement. If they are the same, you may have to explain how these will be used differently in a virtual setting. Use a minimum of two outside resources such as the textbook, websites, blogs, or other internet resources. Additionally, persuade Marcus by demonstrating the benefits of implementing these best practices (what problems have you resolved).
3. A summary of your analysis. There is no new information presented here. This is summary of the key points of the findings or analysis and is not more than one-half page in length. If the summary of information includes lots of data, a table or chart format would be recommended to ensure easy readability. Note thatthe summary section comes before the recommendations section.
4. Recommendations that offer best practices for virtual meetings for QPG to incorporate. This is the lastsection of the report, and the information should flow logically from the analysis and the summary (i.e., the reader should not be surprised by your recommendations). The recommendations are action items to resolve the problem or issue identified in the report purpose, and these are presented in a bulleted list (use numbers only if there is a sequence to be followed or an order of importance for your recommendations). There is no need to provide details or explanations for your recommendations, unless they are challenging for the reader(s) to accept.
1. Use Microsoft Word. Use the QRG 13 – Formal Business Report Style Guide for headings, page numbers, alignment and spacing, fonts and font size, and language.
2. Your document should be between seven to nine pages.
3. Include a minimum of two original visuals (graph, table or illustration). Do not cut and paste from the Internetand be sure to cite this information (just like in-text citations). Do not use video material as a source.
a. One visual will be based on the information from the Appendix below. This visual will be included in the findings section of the business report and will not be a direct copy of the table(s) provided, but a new graph or table you have created using this information.
b. The second visual can be an illustration (not necessarily numbers) that contains information (word clouds, concept charts, SmartArt, etc.) or another graph, table or chart. This second visual can be included in the findings or recommendations section of the business report.
4. Research Expectations: Your research must include at least four sources that have been published within the past seven years. Incorporating more than the minimum number of sources increases the credibility of your claims. You will be evaluated on the reliability and relevance of your sources. Do not use videos. In-text citations can include direct and paraphrased quotes. No quote should be over 40 words.
5. Edit your work before uploading the document in the appropriate Dropbox.