Learning Objectives: After completion of this exercise, the student will be able to:
1. Identify and distinguish between the various recruiting methods available to an employer, and select those most appropriate for a given situation.
2. With the aid of a job description, prepare an effective recruitment advertisement.
1. This assignment is to be completed in groups of 3 to 5 people. If you do not have a group please notify your instructor. Assignments completed by one or two people will not be accepted.
2. Background Information: The company is Compulearn.com, which designs and distributes computer based training materials to corporate clients. The training materials range from ready to purchase on-line courses and CD-Rom training programs to custom made programs tailored to the client’s needs. The company is based in Burlington, Ontario. Compulearn.com has been in business for 3 years, with many of the original employees still working for them. The company is planning on expanding into the education sector in the near future and at the present time does not have any direct competitors. The Assistant Manager- Customer Service and Sales has just resigned and a replacement must be found. As the HR Coordinator for Compulearn you are responsible for establishing a recruiting plan. The budget is modest so use recruitment methods that are cost effective
and reasonable given the level of the position.
3. With reference to the background information and the Job Description, identify 3 recruiting methods you would use to recruit applicants for this position with the goal of attracting a substantial pool of qualified applicants. Provide a detailed description of each method. Explain clearly your rationale for selecting each method. Your rationale should be based on the background information provided as well as your knowledge of recruiting methods. You may also want to discuss your choice of method in relation to type of job, location of job, qualifications, labour market, or budget. Put your answers in your own words. State any assumptions you have made.
4. Utilizing the job description, prepare a job advertisement. Applications should be forwarded to Mrs. Mary Hopes who is the Human Resources Officer for Compulearn.com Grading Criteria:
1. Recruiting methods selected:
A detailed description of each recruiting method is provided
Rationale clearly illustrates reasons for selecting each method as a means to attract a substantial pool of qualified applicants.
Any assumptions that were made are explained.
Writing free of spelling, grammar mistakes – well written.
2. Newspaper advertisement– research job ads to see how they are set up and worded.
Clear and concise, easy to read, no typos or spelling mistakes.
Uses important information from Job Description but does not copy word for word.
The advertisement fulfills the requirements of AIDA (attract, interest, desire, action).
Includes all important items from the recruiting message checklist (see below) that are not covered under
AIDA (attract, interest, desire, action).
Recruitment Message Checklist: Ads should include the following:
a) Job or position title
b) Brief and clear description of duties
c) Statement of Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required for the job
d) Working conditions (location, pay benefits offered, level of supervision)
e) How to apply (example: phone, resume, application, Canada Employment Agency)
f) Any legal requirements (example – consider employment and pay equity messaging you may wish to include) – you should research ads to see how these requirements can be worded