Part 1 ï¿½ Portfolio
You are required to write an assignment on a healthcareÃ¯Â¿Â½related topic.
Suggested topics include:
Ã¯Â¿Â½Communication strategies used in healthcare in relation to a specific illness/conditionÃ¯Â¿Â½
Ã¯Â¿Â½New communication technologies: How have these influenced communications in Healthcare?Ã¯Â¿Â½
You are required to prepare a either a Memorandum or AgendaÃ¯Â¿Â½(See below)
The MemorandumÃ¯Â¿Â½should inform staff of the next healthcare meeting and purpose of meeting.
Writing a Memo
- Write a draft:First make a draft of your memo listing all the possible points you can think of.
- Establish the purpose of your memo:Identify the main purpose of the memo. In other words, whatÃ¯Â¿Â½s your reason for writing it? This will be your subject and opening sentence.
- Decide the audience for your memo:Ask yourself, do you really need to send it to all the employees in a particular department, or just HCAÃ¯Â¿Â½s? Generally it should start like this:
To: (the people youÃ¯Â¿Â½re sending it to)
From: (your name and job title)
Subject: (the reason youÃ¯Â¿Â½re writing the memo)
Date: (including day, month and year)
- Edit your draft:Now go back to your first draft. Narrow down your points to the most important and essential ones.
You are required to write an AgendaÃ¯Â¿Â½for a Healthcare Staff Meeting. The meeting should be in relation to communications related legislation (ie: Social Media policy) and any other healthcare related topics of your choice.
- Open meeting and welcome participants.
- Apologies for any absenteeism.
- Minutes of previous meeting.
- Matters arising/under discussion from last meeting.
- Points of discussion for this meeting (i.e. Staff parking).
- Date, time and location of next meeting.
You are required to submit a formal letter of inquiryÃ¯Â¿Â½to obtain information about a residential care facility. Notes: The letter must be presented formally, word processed, spelling and grammar checked and content structured appropriately.
d. Email & Internet
You are required to send an email to the Healthcare Tutor. The email should be formal and at least 200 words.
The content of the email should relate to the healthcare area.
a) Oral Presentation
You are required to carry out an oral presentation on a topic of your choice relating to Healthcare. You should present your topic e.g. , Ã¯Â¿Â½a level 5 qualification in healthcare is a minimum requirement for HCAÃ¯Â¿Â½sÃ¯Â¿Â½ or Ã¯Â¿Â½empathy is a vital quality to have as a HCAÃ¯Â¿Â½, then engage the audience in a discussion around this topic, including asking and answering questions. You need to demonstrate your group and interpersonal skills by managing the discussion in terms of turn taking, including others; keeping on topic etc. Lastly you need to move the discussion to a consensus/conclusion in relation to the topic. For example - Ã¯Â¿Â½from this discussion it is clear that we agree that a level 5 qualification in healthcare is a minimum requirement for HCAÃ¯Â¿Â½sÃ¯Â¿Â½ or Ã¯Â¿Â½empathy is vital quality to have as a HCAÃ¯Â¿Â½. The presentation should be between 10-15 minutes long. You can use visual aids to support your presentation (i.e. PowerPoint, Poster, Flipchart, Props etc.)
You are required to develop a poster to inform the local community of a fundraising event for your local Elderly Care Facility.
Guidelines: The poster should include date, time, venue, contact person and any other relevant information that you feel is necessary. The poster should be created on an A4 page. Use of colour and pictures may be useful.