Identifying the roles of leadership and management in the context of organizational performance
1. Identify and critically discuss the roles of leadership and management in the wider context of general organisational management and on the performance of organisations.
2. Explain and critically analyse theories and concepts of management and leadership and their application in organizations.
3. Choose ONE of the two case studies which include several management and leadership issues addressed in this unit.
4. From the perspective of an HR consultant, produce an individually written 2000 word report based on your chosen organisational case-study including the following:
5. Discuss and critique the problem that the organization is facing, arising from the management or leadership style that is apparent in the case study.
6. Identify at least one relevant theory of management or leadership which relates to the problem and justify your selection of this theory.
7. Make practical recommendations to resolve the problem including, benchmarked to other relevant organizations.
8. Identify and critique at least one problem in the case study organization arising from the approach to management and leadership. In doing so, identify and apply at least one relevant concept or theory of management and leadership to the problem(s) to produce a reasoned, practical solution
Mr. Jerry the Human resource management of Welcon automotive Ltd a well-known automobile multinational company. Mr. Jerry is very friendly, approachable, people-oriented leader. In the other hand he is a strict leader when it comes to work, he doesn’t tolerate mistakes with regards to ethics and values. One of the top managers once said to him that “Mr. Jerry you are a Task Master”. Jerry replied, “Why do you say this”. He said, “Jerry, you know who is good at what and how to get work done from them”. Mr. Jerry said with a smile, “Yes I agree with you and that’s why my team always complete all tasks on time.”
Majority of the employees in Welcon were very happy to work with Jerry due to his friendly nature. The employees always put extra effort in for anything which benefits the organisation. Things were going well till the organisation witnessed a transformation. As a part of organisational development there were many structural and policy changes in the organisation.
As a part of structural change, the top management witnessed a major change. The new top management was very keen in reducing the expenses of the organisation. Slowly the employees were facing many obstacles in performing their duties due to this cost cutting strategies, as the management failed to suggest any alternatives in those areas where they have implemented the cost cutting strategies.
This created a negative impact for employees. For many employees to complete the crucial daily tasks they needed to wait for authorisation from managers, which took lot of time and energy of the employees. The employees were not aware about the reason behind the cost cutting strategy.
Mr. Jerry was also very disappointed with the ongoing instability in the organisation. Many times he tried to highlight the issues faced by employees in completing their task for them.
The employees and the union have tried to discuss the issue with top management but it was not addressed. Hence, they have jointly decided to show their disregards by way of stopping oneself from putting their extra efforts for the organisation. They also know that this is not going to stop the basic profit of the organisation but surely this will make the management realize that they have to revisit the cost cutting policy.
Mr. Jerry who observed the change in employees’ activities said to the
employees “I have noticed the change in you all. I can’t support this change nor am i going to tolerate this”. He added, “Our way of working is not like this, you all have to give up this idea you created and work as usual and put those extra efforts in where ever required.” The employees also tried to make him understand., “We never want to do bring this up, but it is the last option we feel. We must have our voiced heard by management!
Mr. Jerry was dissatisfied with the response from the employees, he said “those who don’t give-up the idea, will have to face the consequences in the upcoming appraisal process”.