The feedback will be given by face to face with request of individual student, the annotations and marks on the student work (E-copy) in Moodle.
- Calculate the effect of forces on the aerodynamic characteristics of aircrafts/vehicles.
- Analyse boundary layer development on a flat plate, which can be used to approximately estimate boundary layer development on an airfoil.
To complete this assignment, you will perform analysis of a Wind Tunnel Test:
The aims of the experiments are to understand how the shape and angle of attack affect the drag and lift coefficients and to understand how to measure the drag and lift coefficients. The drag and lift coefficients must be obtained before carrying out the calculations on the drag and lift acting on the wing. The detailed theories applied to the experimental work have been given in the lab sheet, which are available in Moodle. Also, the students should show their understanding on the boundary layer theory to undergo both experimental and theoretical investigations.
The format of this assignment is a report including the analysis of the experimental data, and directly answering questions given below.
The objective of this experimental investigation is to determine the lift and drag coefficients of a given aerofoil by plotting the pressure distribution at various angles of attack, from 0 to 20 degrees. Based on the measurement in the lab work, your results should show the following:
- Using the data obtained, calculate Cp at each angle of attack, and plot the graph of Cp against x/c, and Cp against y/c; [25 marks]
- Determining the values of CL and CD by calculating the area under the graphs by means of any graphical method such as Simpson rule or any engineering software you are familiar with. [25 marks]
- Plotting the graph of CL vs Angle of Attack [5 marks]
- Plotting the graph of CD vs Angle of Attack [5 marks]
- Plotting the graph of CL/CD vs Angle of Attack [5 marks]
- Discussions on the accuracy of the experimental methods, compare with published results, and identify the resources of possible errors; [20 marks]
- Based on the boundary layer theory, show your understanding on the influence of boundary layer development and boundary layer separations on drag and lift generation, with reference to Reynolds number. Was the flow during the experiment Laminar or Turbulent? [15 marks]
Note that the references should be given if you cite others work in your discussion.
Submission instructions - What should be the format of the submission? / Where should it be submitted?
A single Word or PDF document only, containing your assignment and a reference list. No appendices are required. Please submit online via the appropriate turnitin submission on the module space.