1. What type of analytic study refers to a group of people who are born about the same time or share a common experience in a specified time period?
2. Public Health Nursing (PHN) in the U.S. began in the late 1800’s. Which pioneer of PHN established the House on Henry Street known as the Henry Street Mission and began work on a school nursing and was the first president of the National Organization of Public Health Nursing?
3. An example of a primary prevention activity in an urban setting is:
Conducting a breast self-exam seminar for middle-aged women
Screening for glaucoma in adults older than ≥40
Providing hearing protection for construction workers prior to exposure to loud (≥85 dB) of noise
Checking for contaminated water supply after a flood
4. Which rate describes the number of deaths in various categories in a given population and time?
5. Epidemiological investigations apply experimental methods to test:
Observation of the association between exposure and outcome
Description of the population characteristics
Treatment and prevention strategies
Retrospective analysis of the determinants of a health condition
6. What model is the interaction between an agent, a host, and the environment called?
Natural history of disease
Web of causation
Epidemiological triangle or triad
7. A community health nurse notices that in 2017, the number of newly diagnosed casesof gonorrhea has increased compared to the number of new cases in 2015. What rate was the nurse using?
8. As an orthopedic community health nurse, you are politically active and lobbying for bone density scans for post menopausal women to be included as basic care in health insurance plans (bone density scans are currently not included and reimbursed by insurance. This is an example of which of the following:
9. Nurses instructing elementary school teachers on strategies to include good nutrition habits into science and writing lesson plans would be an example of what level of prevention:
10. In December 2015, the cancer registry in city "X" revealed a total of 354 people living with cancer for this year. Which rate does this represent?
11. The physicians and nurses in the emergency room have seen a number of adult clients with similar symptoms that cannot be linked to a known diagnostic category. This has resulted in all these clients admitted to the hospital with 3 subsequent deaths. The physician or nurse would likely contact which of the following first?
The Office of Adult Protective Services
The Food and Drug Administration
The Research Center of the National Institute of Health
The Health Commissioner of the local health department
12. Epidemiology is utilized in developing disease prevention strategies. The use of secondary levels of prevention is important because:
Epidemiological studies can be used to evaluate quality of care
Health promotion interventions can be based in existing health care programs
The importance of evaluation in the use of health services by the community
Screening can be used to determine rates of disease occurrence in a community
13. Pikesville has 100,000 residents. There have been 223 cases of influenza reported since 2015 with 75 cases reported in 2017. Somerville has a population of 70,000. They have reported 150 cases of influenza since 2015 with 35 of these cases reported in 2017. Which community had a greater incidence rate of influenza in 2017?
Unable to determine with the above data
The rates are the same for both communities
14. Which of the following is an example of a population-based health care service?
Assuring that a newly diagnosed 40-year-old hypertensive man takes his medication
Finding home care for a 70-year-old client recuperating from a hip replacement
Conducting a mass infant seat safety check at a community clinic
Contacting a local hospice to admit a terminally ill 60-year-old female
15. The community health nurse noted that 15 people became very ill while eating at the school banquet for the basketball team. To calculate the rate of illness, what other fact does the nurse need?
How many athletes were honored for being on the team?
How many parents and family members attended the banquet?
How many people ate at the banquet?
Who prepared and served the food at the banquet