1. This End-of-Course Assessment paper comprises NINE (9) pages (including the cover page).
2. You are to include the following particulars in your submission: Course Code, Title of the ECA, PI No., Your Name, and Submission Date.
3. Late submission will be subjected to the marks deduction scheme. Please refer to the Student Handbook for details.
What Must Be Submitted
You are required to submit the following THREE (3) items for marking and grading:
• A Report (you should submit this item first as it carries the highest weightage).
• A Video Presentation:
Conducts Hands-on workshop on how to record ECA video presentation for SBIZ students every semester. Students will receive an invite to the workshop via Student Portal, Canvas as well as email, a month before the ECA cut-off date.
The ECA video recording and submission guides are also available as an external links/downloads in the invite.
• The set of PowerPoint slides, converted to PDF, upon which the video presentation is based. Please verify your submissions after you have submitted the above Three (3) items.
• The Three on the submission deadline.
• You are allowed multiple submissions till the cut-off date for each of the THREE (3) items.
• Late submission of any of the THREE (3) items will be subjected to mark-deduction scheme by the University. Please refer to Section 5.2 Para 2.4 of the Student Handbook.
How the (3) Items Should Be Submitted
• The Report: submit online to Canvas via TurnItIn (for plagiarism detection)
• The Video: submit online to Canvas (refer to workshop invite for the user guide)
• The Presentation Summary:
Submit online to Canvas via TurnItIn (PPT must be converted to PDF and submission is in PDF only)
The PPT must contain at least 20 words
Refer to workshop invite for the user guide
• Avoid using a public WiFi connection for submitting large video files. If you are using public wireless (WiFi) connection (e.g. SG Wireless at public areas), you might encounter a break in the connection when sending large files.
Additional guidelines on file formatting are given as follows:
• Please ensure that your Microsoft Word document is generated by Microsoft Word 2007 or higher.
• The report must be saved in .docx format.
• Showing your PowerPoint projection in the background is NOT required.
• Time Duration: a minimum of 3 minutes and a maximum of 6 minutes
There are two methods for ECA video assignment submission; either Record Media or Upload Media.
For Record Media
Video can be recorded via Canvas through desktop/laptop with builtin webcam and microphone or through Canvas mobile app.
For Upload Media
Video can be recorded using other recording devices and uploaded as
a media file. Do ensure that your video file conforms to these requirements:
a) File Format: .mp4
b) File Size: No more than 500MB
Note: You will receive an invite to the ECA Hands-On workshop via
Student Portal, Canvas as well as email, a month before the ECA cutoff date. The invite will allow you to register for the workshop as well as download a copy of the user guide.
3. Presentation Summary
• Your PowerPoint presentation must contain at least 20 words.
• Please ensure that your PowerPoint presentation is converted to PDF format before you submit.
• The maximum number of slides is fifteen (15).
• Please do NOT download and use PowerPoint slide design templates from the Internet.
Please be Aware of the Following
Submission in hardcopy or any other means not given in the above guidelines will not be accepted. You do not need to submit any other forms or cover sheets (e.g. form ET3) with your ECA.
You are reminded that electronic transmission is not immediate. The network traffic may be particularly heavy on the date of submission deadline and connections to the system cannot be guaranteed. Hence, you are advised to submit your work early. Canvas will allow you to submit your work late but your work will be subjected to the mark-deduction scheme. You should therefore not jeopardise your course result by submitting your ECA at the last minute.
Plagiarism and Collusion
Plagiarism and collusion are forms of cheating and are not acceptable in any form in a student’s work, including this ECA. Plagiarism and collusion are taking work done by others or work done together with others respectively and passing it off as your own. You can avoid plagiarism by giving appropriate references when you use other people’s ideas, words or pictures (including diagrams). Refer to the APA Manual if you need reminding about quoting and referencing. You can avoid collusion by ensuring that your submission is based on your own individual effort. The electronic submission of your ECA will be screened by plagiarism detection software. For more information about plagiarism and collusion, you should refer to the Student Handbook (Section 22.214.171.124). You are reminded that SUSS takes a tough stance against plagiarism or collusion. Serious cases will normally result in the student being referred to Student
Disciplinary Group. For other cases, significant mark penalties or expulsion from the course will be imposed.
(i) You are a gold trader looking for arbitrage opportunities. The spot price of gold is currently $1,800 per ounce. The futures contract price for delivery in 6 months is $1,850. Storage cost is fixed at $10 per ounce for 6 months.
Appraise and value (compute) the borrowing cost above which arbitraging the two prices is not profitable.
(ii) If you were to formulate a strategy to hedge the gold inventory, would you agree with the jeweller who made the following remark?
“I’ve hedged my inventory of gold with gold futures contracts, so my inventory is perfectly hedged against changes in gold prices.”
Assess the risks and returns of green bonds. How are green bonds different from regular bonds? Discuss the attractiveness of green bonds for investors.
Sections A (Total 25 marks)
Based on Question 2, prepare a video recording of the presentation of at least 3 minutes but not exceeding 6 minutes. In this presentation, imagine you are a private wealth manager who is presenting to a client on a new investment vehicle, namely green bonds. In particular, you will articulate what green bonds are, why and how they are different from conventional bonds, their risks and returns, and finally, why they would be a suitable addition to the client’s portfolio. There are two methods for ECA video assignment submission; either Record Media or Upload Media. For Upload Media, please note that your file size should be no more than 500MB and the format is in .mp4.
Sections B (Total 10 marks)
Prepare a set of PowerPoint presentation upon which the video presentation is based. Please note that the PowerPoint must be converted to PDF before submission to Canvas.