Outcomes of Leadership
The MLQ also measures three Outcomes of Leadership. It measures your perception of the behaviors you inspire
in your followers, including:
? Extra Effort
? Individual, Unit, and Organizational Effectiveness
? Satisfaction with the Leadership
This MLQ Report provides feedback for how you perceive your leadership styles. Feedback is first profiled against researched benchmarks of the optimal frequency for each style. Comparisons are then provided with universal norms. Be wary when comparing yourself to others - your comparison group may not be optimal in terms of the best frequency of behaviors for effective leadership in your work context.
The MLQ measures the frequency of nine styles of leadership behavior and outcomes. Eight of the styles measure behaviors which can be practiced. The ninth style, Builds Trust (IIA), measures your perception of how your followers think of you (e.g. that you instill pride in others for being associated with them). Each style is measured by four questions in the MLQ. Each question corresponds to an individual leadership behavior within that style. A list of your ten highest and lowest frequency leadership behaviors is provided in Section 6 to help you assess both your perceived strengths and perceived weaknesses.
Draft of Personal Leadership Portrait
Your final assignment will bring together all aspects of leadership and communication that you have examined and discussed in the course. In this assignment, you will be able to analyze your own leadership qualities to create a portrait of the effective public service leader you aspire to be. Please note that this assignment is part of an iterative writing process where you will be required to complete and submit a draft to both SafeAssign and your instructor for feedback. You will submit your final Personal Leadership Portrait in Unit 9, allowing you ample time to revise and edit, as needed. You will need to complete a minimum of 70 percent of the requirements for this assignment.
Since this assignment requires you to develop a self-portrait, you may write this paper in first-person voice. Note: It is very important for your academic development that you recognize that writing in the first person is not usually acceptable in academic papers. However, given the nature of this assignment, it has been deemed appropriate to make an exception here. Please remember that the third-person voice is the universal norm in academic writing. You should always exercise careful consideration before departing from this norm.
Complete the first Unit 7 discussion, prior to finalizing this assignment, as it will allow you to reflect on what you have learned about yourself over the past several weeks. Refer to the results of the Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire (MLQ) and the communication style self-assessment you completed in Units 1 and 2. Be sure to review and use the Writing Coach and instructor feedback you received on your previous assignments as well:
· Unit 3: Communication and Organizational Effectiveness.
· Unit 5: Communicating and Leading for Change and Innovation.
· Unit 7: Developing Ethical and Authentic Leadership Behavior.
For this assignment:
· Analyze one or more leadership styles and corresponding leadership theories based on the unit readings and your MLQ assessment results that you believe best align with personal leadership effectiveness.
· Analyze one or more communication styles based on the unit readings and the results of your communication style self-assessment that you believe best align with personal communication effectiveness.
· Analyze your leadership strengths and growth opportunities.
· Analyze your communication strengths as well as growth opportunities.
· Based on the personal leadership portrait you have presented in this paper, explain how you will achieve the following outcomes as a leader within your field or area of specialization. In other words, what strategies will you use to ensure you are optimally effective in each of these areas?
o Communication and interpersonal effectiveness.
o Ethical leadership.
o Effective diversity management.
o Effective change management.
The assignment you submit is expected to meet the following requirements:
· Writing coach: You will receive Writing Coach feedback in this assignment. The Writing Coach feedback will be focused on your writing, including organization, logic, flow, grammar, professional language, and appropriate use of APA style, formatting, and citations.
· Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
· APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting standards.
· Number of resources: Use a minimum of five scholarly sources outside of the course text. All literature cited should be current, with publication dates within the past five years.
· Length of paper: 4–6 pages, double spaced.
· Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
· SafeAssign: A draft of this assignment must be submitted to SafeAssign.
· Due date: Assignment must be submitted to your instructor in the courseroom no later than 11:59 p.m. on Sunday of this week.