1. Interview (by telephone in person or by pre-scheduled webex meeting) a master or doctorally prepared informatics nurse specialist. Summarize the interview in a three to four-page report, including:
2. Method of the Interview.
3. Identify the degree of interdisciplinary and interprofessional collaboration the INS has.
4. Identify the INS’ predominant functional areas of practice and how these compare with NI functional areas defined in the American Nurses Association’s 2015 Nursing Informatics: Scope and Standards of Practice (2nd ed.).
5. Compare what you learned in the interview to what you have read.
6. Identify theory(ies) that support(s) the roles that the informatics nurse exhibits. Criteria for Content Introduction presents the topic of the scope and standards of informatics practice inclusive of functional areas, the key sections of the paper, and the interviewee without disclosing either their name or the name of their organization. Key elements of the interview are summarized with an emphasis on describing the NI functional roles in which the interviewee practices, their practice within the scope and standards of nursing informatics practice, and degree to which the interviewee functions as a member of an interdisciplinary/interprofessional team as an MSN level leader and decision-maker. Identifies underlying theory(ies) that support the practice of the interviewee. Uses scholarly, evidence-based resources to support content, opinions, and conclusions.
Analyzes differences and similarities between the information collected from the interview and published descriptions using the student’s own words, Conclusion includes the student’s unique insights about what was learned from writing the assignment.
The purpose of this assignment is for the learner to: Evaluate the extent to which the INS functions as member, leader, and/or decision-maker of an Interdisciplinary and/or interprofessional team; Compare interviewee functional roles against NI functional roles Identified within the current scope and standards of informatics practice statement for the INS; Examine three nursing-informatics (NI) functional roles that the INS demonstrates in clinical practice; Summarize the link between nursing theory and nursing informatics roles; and Summarize insights gained from the interview in relationship to the INS role and practice