Formulating a Question for Your EBP Assignment
Consider issues related to your nursing practice. What stands out to you about your specialty area? What questions or concerns do you think are especially in need of attention? Why? How would you most like to contribute to the knowledge base of your profession?
The EBP Assignment provides a significant opportunity for furthering the nursing profession. Formulating a specific, applicable question is a necessary first step for developing your project. The question defines the focus of the EBP Assignment and guides your selection of research methods and tools. Think about aspects of your specialty area, and begin to formulate a question that relates to your nursing practice.
The primary purpose of this Discussion is to provide a forum in which you and your colleagues can support each other in cultivating a practice-related question.
• Develop your EBP Assignment question using the PICO (Patient group or practice setting, Issue or EBP problem, Comparison (you may not have a comparison group), Outcome) method as described in Chapter 2 of Clinical Research for the Doctor of Nursing Practice (p. 29) and other resources. Depending on your specialty area, you may modify the PICO method as necessary to be appropriate for your target population.
o In some cases, a PICO question may not fit the project. Here are two examples of alternative EBP questions:
In (customize this with your group/population) within an urban/rural X (acute care/ambulatory care/long-term care) agency in X (northern, eastern, Midwestern) United States, how does X protocol adoption (as recommended by X national guideline -give title of specific guideline…or specific policy...or specific standard of care) impact (customize this with the outcomes you want this project to achieve) as measured 1 month post-implementation when compared to the current standard of care (list the current standard-or guideline or protocol).
In (customize this with your group/population) within an urban/rural X (acute care/ambulatory care/long-term care) agency in X (northern, eastern, Midwestern) United States, how does X education module (driven by organization need and supported by evidence) improve knowledge (customize this with the objectives you want the learners to achieve) as measured by a pre and post-test change in knowledge?
o There may be other examples, but your projects should not be designed to generate new knowledge (research) and should not include populations that will likely need IRB approval at your site.
o You do need to identify that there is a gap in practice, so do not choose a project that has already been clearly addressed in the literature (i.e., Does handwashing prevent the spread of infections?)
o Finally, limit the scope of these projects, they need to be completed in one term. Read the assignment criteria carefully.
• Begin to complete the “Literature Review Matrix,” reviewing at least four to six research articles relevant to your specialty area and your EBP Assignment question. Note any areas of difficulty that you encounter, as well as any strategies or insights that might be beneficial to others.
• Reflect on the information presented in the McCurry, Revell, and Roy article listed in the Learning Resources.
• What questions or concerns, if any, do you have about how to develop your project question and/or expand your expertise in your specialty area?
Post a cohesive scholarly response that addresses the following:
• Share your project question, as you have developed it thus far.
• Discuss salient elements that inform your project question: theory, current research, nursing practice, and specialty knowledge.
• Pose any questions or concerns you may have related to developing your project question or literature review. You may also include any other issues related to expanding your expertise within your specialty area.
1. Word Count: 300 – 350 words
2. Please APA formatting and in-text citation needed.
3. Include at least 2 or 3 scholarly sources for your evidence, not public websites and not than 5 years old.