The purpose of this project is to demonstrate your understanding of the following course concepts:
- How to work with type.
- How to work with grading tools.
- How to work with the pen tool.
- How to work with layers and layer masks.
You were hired to design the cover of an art book. You are going to select a photo of your choice, and you are going to turn it into a painting. You can check the Read & Watch content for Weeks 5 and 6 to get information about how to do that. You can also search the Web, where you will be able to find many examples on how you can transform a photo into a painting. The image at the right shows a very simple example of the exercise. Its purpose is to give you an idea of what I am looking for. Please do not duplicate this design. Use your creativity to come up with a unique design.
Please complete the following tasks:
- Select a photo(s) and turn it into a painting.
- Use at least two of these tools in your design: grading, pen, layer masks, or filters.
- Add appropriate text (come up with an original book cover title).
- Create layers for different elements in the design. The layers should be kept in the PSD file. You cannot merge the layers before submitting them.
NOTE 1: In order to prevent the issue with limited file submission size of LEO, you can upload the files to google drive, one drive, or Dropbox and share the folder for the project with me, and submit the link as a part of your submission.
Width: 5 inches
Height: 7 inches
Resolution: 300 Pixels/Inch
Page Orientation: Portrait (Tall)
Color Mode: CMYK
Please submit the following to your Assignments Folder:
- The original image file(s).
- The completed Photoshop (.PSD) file.
- A JPEG (.JPG) version of the completed project.
- Include all of the fonts used.
- Submit a Project Reflection (see details below):
Answer the following questions when you submit your assignments files.
- What is your book about and how does the colors, fonts used, and overall design reflect the subject matter and theme of your book?
- Where did you find your image(s) (include URL if image was downloaded from the Internet)?
- What modifications did you make to the image(s) (describe what you did to complete the assignment)?
- What software applications did you use to complete your project?
- What fonts did you use to complete your project?
- What issues or challenges did you face completing this project?
Please submit your Project Reflection as a Microsoft Word document or just copy and paste your answers in your Assignments Folder's text box when you submit your assignment along with the rest of the required project files.
If completing this assignment was not much of a challenge for you, consider completing the Advanced Challenge below:
Place your book cover into a realistic photograph using perspective or skew to create a realistic scene (a suggestion would be a library, book store, or a book signing).