Save Time & Excel Academics
Share your requirements & connect with top tutor !
Writing a Descriptive Essay: Tips and Topics That Will Work without Fail
Unlike a narrative essay that conveys the meaning through a personal story, the focus of a descriptive essay is to describe a subject or a topic through detailed and sensory observation. In its true essence, descriptive essays are used by the writers to establish a clear and vivid picture of a particular thing such as a place, a person or even an incident. Through an essay with a descriptive approach, a writer can actually manipulate human senses and make the readers experience a particular subject as if they are a part of it.
As an essay writer, your objective is to make the readers feel they have actually met a person, visited a place or experienced a certain incident by going through your essay, even if they haven’t encountered those things for real. If your readers find an emotional connection and a deep appreciation for the significance of the topic, then you can say you have succeeded as a descriptive essay writer. So, how do you do that? Well, drafting a descriptive essay may not be an easy feat to achieve. There are certain steps that you need to comply with if you are willing to create a compelling descriptive essay.
Before we start discussing the various steps of descriptive essay writing, you need to understand one crucial thing. Writing requires hard work. It is not that one fine morning you wake up with an idea and then create a masterpiece with it. Well, yes; things like that have taken place in the history, but that is not the ideal way to approach a descriptive essay. If you are assigned to write a descriptive essay, make sure you are following the following steps.
- The pre-writing phase
Whether you acknowledge it or not, there is a set of crucial factors you need to attend before can start writing the essay. For starters, you need to think of the topic which you are going to describe through your essay. It is perhaps the most important part of the whole process, as the topic often determines the success of the essay. Also, you need to consider the preferences of your readers while choosing a topic. You can’t expect the readers to appreciate the content if your topic does not poke their interests in one way or another.
Well, choosing a topic for your descriptive essay can be a hectic task to perform. So you need to think and brainstorm ideas. That may take some considerable amount of time, but that works. There are some suggestions for the descriptive essay topic which we are going to discuss later on the blog. Once you are done picking an essay topic, you can start working on the details of the topic. As you may realize, your essay needs to describe every minute detail about the topic so that the reader does not have any problem imagining the scenario as the essay progresses. Do your research to gather all the necessary details on the particular topic, and then plan your essay around those specific details.
- The drafting part
Whether you are writing a descriptive essay or you are working on a narrative essay, you need to create an initial draft of your intended content, before you can start writing the final document. As you may realize, you aim is to provide the readers with a rich experience on the selected topic. So you need to make sure that everything is at the right place in the essay. Also, it is your job to ensure there’s no room left for further enhancement in the essay.
While drafting the essay, you need to describe the things rather than just stating a mere fact. Instead of stating what has happened, take the readers on a trip to that event by using descriptive and figurative language. The readers should have a clear image of the person, the place or the event in their mind just by reading your description. You need to explain how the songs sound, how the sky looks like during sunset, how a drink tastes and other observation that can only be felt. As you may have noticed, descriptive essays don’t state facts and examples. They create a mental image for the reader by touching the certain human emotions with words.
- Making the necessary enhancements
When you are done creating the first draft, you need to conduct several revisions where you should review, modify and reassemble the content to ensure it has taken the best shape it could probably take. However, you need to consider certain factors while revising your descriptive essay. Firstly, you need to evaluate whether or not the narrative is unfolding the essay in a way that the readers can appreciate. You need to check if the paragraphs are causing confusion instead of describing the topic well to the readers.
Secondly, ensure the choice of words and the figurative language used in the essay are involving the five senses and conveying certain emotion and meaning to the readers. Also, it is necessary to check whether the readers are provided with enough details to create a mental image of the subject. And finally, you need to make sure that the description has established a connection with its meaning you wanted to convey. Remember, the essay is for the readers. So from the beginning of the essay till the conclusion, you need to keep the reader in mind.
- Your first day at a hill station
- A memorable incident from your childhood
- Your passion
- An encounter with a beggar
- The person you admire
- The world from a 1 BHK flat
- The most inspiration figure in your life
- How did you meet your best friend?
- Most happening event in your school life
- You current academic goal
- The teacher who brought out your true potential
- Your first day in college
- The most beautiful face you have seen
- The perfect vacation
- A book that has influenced you the most
- The funniest thing that has happened to you
- A day with a stranger
- The brightest mind you have encountered
- The hardest time of your life
- The day before your exam
- How a book has made you look at the world with a different perspective
- A life-changing event
- The family reunion
- Meeting with an old friend
- Your deepest desire
- The room you want to live in
- The person you have fancied
- The house you grew up in
- The preparation for a presentation
- Your dream job
- The fascinating thing you have seen
- The charm of wildlife
- The dress you wish to wear on your wedding day
- What goes on your mind when you miss a deadline
- An animal that you fear the most
- The graduation day
- The last day of school
- Best friend: The brother you never had
- What is the most daring thing you have done?
- How do you feel about your college?
- Your biggest achievement
- Your dream car
- A trip to abroad
- Experience of your first flight
- Watching the sunset on a beach
- Experiencing the snow for the first time
- Video game that you are obsessed with
- How would you have wanted a particular movie to end?
- The ideal job for you
- How is life in the countryside?
- How you want your classmates to treat each other?
- What if life was a movie?
- Your favorite comic book character
- What do you do for fun?
- Activities you find relaxing
- What will you do if you find out you are the last person on earth?
- A natural disaster you have experience
- Your first encounter with a celebrity
- How would you feel if you meet your favorite movie star
- The day your favorite team won the final
- Watching a rainbow
- The best time of the year
- Why your town is the best place to live?
- Your first day at work
- The biggest challenge you have faced in your life
- Getting lost in a strange neighborhood
- Your fortress of solitude
- What makes your angry?
- Where do you want to see yourself in the next five years?
- A place that your want to visit again and again
- Which food makes your mouth water?
- Your biggest fear
- The most insane thing you have done
- How does it feel to score for your team?
- Your first dance lesson
- How would it be to live in a different country?
- The person you can trust blindly
- A person who has disappointed you
- How does it feel to gift a person something they love?
- What was the best thing you did for your parents?
- What is the biggest surprise you have ever received?
- The best way to spend a day off
- The toughest homework you have received till date
- Playing a crucial character in a play
- The weirdest dream you had
- How did you feel when you meet a new person?
- The scariest person you have met
- If you could travel back in time, what would you change?
- Things that get your adrenaline rush
- How did you learn riding a bike?
- Spending a day on the ocean
- Taking part in a humanitarian activity
- The most memorable thing your pet did for you
- A person who has changed your life for better
- Most peaceful place you have visited
- Building a bonfire for the first time
- What would you do if you were omnipotent for one day?
- Your favorite holiday destination
- What would you do if you acquire a superpower one day?
- Going on a jungle safari
- Where would you like to work?
- Your prom partner
- Life at an urban village
- The kindest person you know
- Your friend’s birthday party
- Moving to a different city
- A paranormal activity you have encountered
- What would you wear to your brother’s wedding?
- An ideal vacation according to you
- Life inside a beehive
- The most dangerous place on earth
- The best meal you had till date
- Visiting a construction site
- Travelling on a city bus
- Buying something with your pocket money for the first time
- Waiting in a long queue on a hot summer day
- How do you want your future life partner to be?
- The company you want to join after your graduation
- What was your grandpa like when he was of your age?
- Rafting on a river for the first time
- The best party you have been to
- A movie that made you question your existence
- What inspires you to do what you do?
- Something that you regret doing
- Walking through a ghost town
- How has life changed since childhood?
- Looking at the world from a pet’s point of view
- A person with a heart of gold
- Life of an aquatic creature
- What if you were trapped in an elevator?
- A rollercoaster ride
- How would you like to presume the afterlife?
- Your favorite building in the city
- Receiving the highest number for your essay
- Something you have done to impress a girl
- A day filled with adventures
- Your first performance in front of a live audience
- What makes your sorrows go away?
- Your parents’ reaction when you received poor marks in your exam
- Your dream gadget
- What would you do if you win a billion dollar lottery?
- First day at the gym
- An incident that made you believe in miracles
- Your first romantic date
- Receiving an award from a person you admire
- A long drive
- Preparing for the Halloween costume party
- A painting that your admire
- Walking on the road on a rainy evening
- First driving lesson
- Your first friend from abroad
- Visiting a movie theatre for the first time
- Things you cannot live without
- Visiting a cemetery for the first time
- The most embarrassing moment in your life
- Things that you are addicted to
- Your first road trip
- The first pet you ever had
- Attending a rock concert
- Your first kiss
So, there you go. You can take inspiration from these aforementioned topics and work on your original idea for a descriptive essay or you can simply build your content around one of these topics that you like. Remember, the topic does play a crucial role in grabbing the attention of the reader, but it is the content that makes the reader stick to the essay till the end. So, start practicing and develop your skills because there is no alternative to hard work.
The Essay Topics Help
Specialist Essay services to help you achieve A+ Grade!
Writer of The Month
Last essay passed with distinctionHire Me Now
Use Our Free Essay Typer Tool to Get Essay on Any Topics
Make your essay error-free.
Get your article published in an internationally renowned journal.
Looking for a professional essay writer who can help with your descriptive essay? You have come to the right place!
MyAssignmenthelp.com, the leading academic assistance provider on the internet, is home to more than 4000 expert essay helpers who are amazing at the job of essay paper writing. You can not only get the regular essay writing help, but they also provide valuable editing support as most of them are accomplished essay editors and proofreaders as well. Having several years of experience in the professional field works in favor of our essay paper writers, and for this reason, they are quite comfortable at working on any given essay writing topic, irrespective of how difficult it is.
Here, you can find several custom essay writing services that are particularly designed to meet the specific requirements students usually have. Our custom writers focus on every individual need of your including drafting, editing, proofreading, citing and formatting, at your request. Being skilled essay editors and proofreaders, they are quite proficient at providing valuable essay help on any aspect of the paper. In fact, we have some of the fastest essay typers in our team which allow us to deliver every requested order on time. Besides, we offer cheap essay help services which are quite affordable for every student (irrespective of their financial background).
At MyAssignmenthelp.com, you can also enjoy free offers and discounts regularly. You can also access free samples of various descriptive essays as you register with our site. Our 24x7 online support system allows you to stay in touch with us round-the-clock. So what are you waiting for? Place your order today and receive a remarkable descriptive essay from our PhD qualified expert writers.