Brief discussion on changes required by the organization Fast Track Courier in relation to their people or employees, processes, technology and the system?
The report consists of the analysis of how the organization has to manage changes. The organizational change management is explained in this report. There is brief discussion on changes required by the organization Fast Track Courier in relation to their people or employees, processes, technology and the system. The report consist the explanation behind the changes made in a organization. Report explains the changes requirement in relation to difference scenarios within the organization. The report below consists of the method used by external consultant for change management in the organization. The importance or why the external consultant or specialist is used by the organization is also explained.
The report is having a brief discussion on organizational change in fast track in relation to their objective and goals. Report explains the change in organization strategic plan which fast track will make according to their policies, practice, goals and objectives. There is an analysis of organization performance with regard to their people, processes, technology and structure. The report consists of the analysis of external trend of organization which effect their objective and working system (Blokdijk, 2008). Report consists of the analysis on the changes required due to performance gaps of employees, business opportunities and different changes due to management decision and threats. The change required by fast track in their policies, practices, plans, working system and structure is discussed here.
Analysis of organisational objectives for identifying the change requirements for Fast Track Couriers
To identify the change required in Fast Track Courier objectives one has to understand and analyse their strategic plan properly (Brown and KaÌ„tz, 2009). Strategic plan of Fast Track consist of:
- Analysis of market share
- Operating expenditure of Fast Track courier
- Analysis of service provided by the organization
- Study of method for increasing profit rate of the organization.
- Analysis of change required in organization policies considering their employees.
Requirements for change
Changes should be done by every organization to improve working structure, market share and etc. Fast Track Courier requires changes in their objective to achieve goals and increase profit share of the organization (Brännmark and Benn, 2012). The changes are required in Fast Track courier to:-
- Increase their market share in comparison to their competitors in market.
- To reduce their operating expenditure to gain more profit.
- Changes are required for improving and increasing the number of services provided by Fast Track Courier (Cameron and Green, 2004).
- For increasing their profit rate organization has to increase the number of service provided by them and the work to increase the number of customers (Degen, n.d.).
- Changes are required for improving the quality of services provided by them so that they can increase their customers.
Explanation of change needed in relation to organization’s strategic plan goal/s
Organization strategic plan of Fast Track Courier are used to explain their strategies, direction, process of decision making and etc (Elias, 2007). Strategic plan of Fast Track Courier is used to explain organizational goals and the process required to achieve that goals. Strategic planning is the process which explains the whole working process of Fast Track Courier. Strategic planning of Fast Track Courier is required to be changed:-
- To increase the profit shares in comparison of previous year.
- For reducing the operating expenditure cost to increase their income.
- To change their working structure this can motivate their employees to work better.
- Fast Track courier should change their objective considering their employees and customers (Floyd, 2002).
- The services provided by the organization should be improved and if required changed to increase their customer number.
- Strategic plans are required to be changed to update the organization in relation to technology.
- Organization should always change their working practice so that the employees are motivated toward the organization and their job.
Current policies, practices and operations deliver against the organisation’s strategic goals
The current strategic goals of Fast Track Courier in relation to their policies and practices are as:
- To increase their market share
- Expand their service facilities as per market change and requirement (Gover and Duxbury, 2012)
- To improve their employee engagement in context to their job.
- To update or improve their supply chain system.
- To upgrade their structure regarding technology and supply chain system.
Organization’s performance with regards to its :-
People in organization mean the employees of the organization. Fast Track Courier should always review that the workforce of their organization are having proper skill, knowledge as per their jobs. Because if the employees are not having knowledge regarding their job or task then both organization and employee as to face problem (Green, 2007). The organizational policies and practices should always be in support of employees so that they are motivated to work. Organization should give proper training regarding the changes made in technology, working system (GruÌˆnig, KuÌˆhn and KuÌˆhn, 2005). If suppose Fast Track Courier are changing their supply chain system or upgrading it in technology then the employees working on supply chain system should be trained properly so that they are comfortable with new technology (Jarrahi and Sawyer, 2014). Fast track Courier should always keep a track on the contribution of their employees in success.
Fast Track courier should always analyze there end to end process whether it is effective in achieving the goals decided at the starting of the work (Langley, 2007). Organization should upgrade their work flow process as per the task to achieve positive result in less expenditure.
Fast Track Courier should always upgrade their system in relation to technology used by them. Organization should try to keep them updated in technology so that they can achieve goals (Oreg, Michel and By, 2013). If Fast Track Courier is working on old technology in comparison of their competitors in market then the result or the outcome achieved can affect their profit (Nilakant and Ramnarayan, 2006). Before updating the technology organization should check the compatibility of the technology with working system of the organization. And organization should also provide proper training to their employees after the implementation of the technology.
The structure of Fast Track Courier should support their decision making process. The structure of the organization helps in deciding the levels of hierarchy (Organisation and management change, 2002). Organization should always have structure as per their job i.e. centralized, decentralized, sales and service and etc. Structure of the organization helps in motivating their employees to work in a team i.e. it helps in promoting team building within the organization.
External trends which may affect the achievement of the organisation’s strategic plan goals
There are two types of trends internal trends and external trends which effect the achievement of the organisation strategic planning and goals (Pelletier et al., 2011). Some of the external trends of the Fast Track Courier which effect their strategic planning and goals are as:
Consumers- The rapidly changing demand of the consumer make difficult for the organization to decide their goals and objective.
Economy of the country- The main factor which affects each and every organization strategic planning and goals is the nation’s economy.
Ethics- Ethics are the set of rules and regulation which every nation have regarding working condition and style of the organization (Poole and Van de Ven, 2004). Every organization has to work as per the ethics mentioned by the nation and employees also have to work as per the ethics of the organization.
Legal- Organization have to work according to the legal procedure (Pugh and Mayle, 2009). The working style and the process have to be decided under the legal condition.
Political- Politics of country affect the organization working condition as well their goal.
Social- Organization should try to work without affecting the surroundings or the society in which they are located.
Technology- Organization has to be updated in technology they are using. Old technology can affect the performance of organization. Organization should upgrade their technology and train their employees.
Suppose the organization Fast Track Courier is using old technology in comparison of their competitors for supply chain system, due to this Fast Track will be lacking behind. Organization always has to be updated regarding the technology used by them (Quttainah and Paczkowski, 2014).
Major operational change requirements
Changes due to performance gaps
Organization operation can be affected by the performance gap of the organization as well as the employees. Performance gap is the difference between current situation and the pretended situation of the work flow (Senior and Fleming, 2006). To analyze the performance gap of the business the performance gap analysis process is done. Operational changes can be made after analyzing the performance gap of the business.
Changes due to business opportunities
Business opportunity helps organization to know the present condition of the market in relation to their job (Special issue of Strategic Organization: "Strategic Responses to Institutional Complexity", 2014). As per the demand or need in the market organization has to change their working or operation process. To achieve the goals organization has to focus on the market changes in relation to their business.
Changes due to threats
There are different internal and external threats which affect the operation of the organization. External threats can be economy, politics, technology and etc and internal threats can be workforce, organizational policies, practices and etc (Toia, 2002).
Changes due to management decisions
Management decisions in the organizations are the decisions taken by the management regarding the working process, style, organizational policies and practices (Zanotti, 2012). Operation process of any organization is affected by policies, practices and working style.
Specialist required for assisting the identified changes
Organization take help of an external consultant for identifying the changes required within the organization. External consultant is used by organization to:-
- To analyze the neutral view of the organization.
- To suggest the best practice for their organization.
- To give training of the knowledge and skill required for new projects or task of the organization.
- To identify the gap between the performance of employees and the business of the organization.
- To suggest the best way to the organization for improving their performance gap.
- To suggest organization best way for achieving their goal with minimum expenditure cost.
Model used for engaging the specialist and reason for using the model
The model used by the organization to engage specialist are as:-
- Purchasing the expertise model – In this method the specialist suggests the expert model or the best method which can be used for making changes in organization.
- Doctor – patient model – Doctor patient model means the problem occurred is patient and the consultant is doctor who will suggest the best way to the organization for removing or overcoming from the problem.
- Process consultation – Process consultation is used to analyse the particular process of the organization and then recommend the best suited way for making changes in that particular process so that organization can achieve their goal or objective without any obligations (Blaber, 2004).
The reason behind using these different models by organization for engaging their specialist are as:-
- To identify the expert method used for improving the performance of the employees.
- To analyze the reason of performance gap of the organization and suggest the best way for improving it.
- To make employees train regarding the new technology or the changes made in working process.
- To ensure that the technology, working process used by the organization are up to date and perfect as per the job.
- To suggest a better plan or way for achieving organizational goal and objective with a minimum expenditure cost.
- To identify the threats or the barriers in achieving the goals and suggest organization a best suited way.
- For suggesting a proper activity process plan which will help organization in achieving their goals.
By the above discussion in report the conclusion which can be stated is the changes required by the Fast Track Courier has to be made by taking into consideration the people, policies, practice and etc of the organization. The organization with the help of external consultant identify the reason behind the changes required and consultant has to suggest the best way for making changes in the organization with the minimum expenditure cost. The report is used to analyze the organization performance in relation to their people or employees, process for working, technology used by the organization and the system of their work. The report consists of the brief discussion on the external trends which affects the organizational objective and goals. The external trends can also affect the performance of the organization and their workforce.
Blaber, P. (2004). Change management. Carlisle Barracks, PA: U.S. Army War College.
Blokdijk, G. (2008). Change management 100 success secrets. [Brisbane, Australia: Emereo].
Brännmark, M. and Benn, S. (2012). A Proposed Model for Evaluating the Sustainability of Continuous Change Programmes. Journal of Change Management, 12(2), pp.231-245.
Brown, T. and KaÌ„tz, B. (2009). Change by design. New York: Harper Business.
Cameron, E. and Green, M. (2004). Making sense of change management. London: Kogan Page.
Degen, N. (n.d.). The market.
Elias, S. (2007). Employee Commitment in Times of Change: Assessing the Importance of Attitudes Toward Organizational Change. Journal of Management, 35(1), pp.37-55.
Floyd, P. (2002). Organizational change. Oxford [England]: Capstone Pub.
Gover, L. and Duxbury, L. (2012). Organizational Faultlines: Social Identity Dynamics and Organizational Change. Journal of Change Management, 12(1), pp.53-75.
Green, M. (2007). Change management masterclass. London: Kogan Page.
GruÌˆnig, R., KuÌˆhn, R. and KuÌˆhn, R. (2005). Process-based strategic planning. Berlin: Springer.
Jarrahi, M. and Sawyer, S. (2014). Theorizing on the take-up of social technologies, organizational policies and norms, and consultants' knowledge-sharing practices. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 66(1), pp.162-179.
Langley, A. (2007). Process thinking in strategic organization. Strategic Organization, 5(3), pp.271-282.
Nilakant, V. and Ramnarayan, S. (2006). Change management. New Delhi: Response Books.
Oreg, S., Michel, A. and By, R. (2013). The psychology of organizational change. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Organisation and management change. (2002). OECD Journal on Development, 3(3), pp.69-80.
Pelletier, J., Vaudreuil, F., Morel, S. and Lapointe, P. (2011). Different perspectives on work changes. [QueÌbec, QueÌ.]: UniversiteÌ Laval, FaculteÌ des Sciences sociales, DeÌpartement des relations industrielles.
Poole, M. and Van de Ven, A. (2004). Handbook of organizational change and innovation. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
Pugh, D. and Mayle, D. (2009). Change management. Los Angeles: SAGE.
Quttainah, M. and Paczkowski, W. (2014). Linking Business Owners’ Choice of Organizational form to Appraisers’ Determination of Value: An Agency Theory Perspective. JMPP, 2(4).
Senior, B. and Fleming, J. (2006). Organizational change. Harlow, England: Prentice Hall/Financial Times.
Special issue of Strategic Organization: "Strategic Responses to Institutional Complexity". (2014). Strategic Organization, 12(3), pp.216-219.
Toia, J. (2002). Strategic plan identifies priorities. Australian Veterinary Journal, 80(7), pp.386-386.
Zanotti, F. (2012). Designing a strategic plan through an emerging knowledge generation process. The Learning Organization, 19(4), pp.311-323.