The ICN Code of Ethics
This report focuses on the ethical codes of conduct which nurses has to adhere while conducting their professional practice. This profession of nursing deals in health care sector that focuses on the care and well-being of individuals, families and communities so that they can maintain a happy and healthy lifestyle. Moreover, report also highlights certain humanistic goals which nurses have to take care while performing their jobs. It also discusses the role of International Council of Nurses (ICN) which provides guideline for actions performed while conducting their practice. It also explains the case study of Theo who is the depressing patient and need immediate treatment. Hence, all the professional practices, standards and codes are discussed here.
International council of nurses firstly adopted this international code of ethics in 1953. It consists of four elements that frameworks the standards of ethical conduct. It has helped me develop my professional identity and enhance my performance. It is a guide which provides direction to each and every action performed, based on ethical and social values. For instance, these ethical practices are used to frame strategies to deal with moral distress due to any circumstance. Additionally, it prepares entire staff to deal global issues relating to health disparities with a wider vision of common good. (Batten, Lon?arski & Szilagyi, 2018)
It allows me take personal responsibility of the ones who require nursing care. Along with this, we as nurses promotes an environment which respects the culture, beliefs and values of an individual, family and their community. As a nurse, I share the message of initiating and supporting action that meet the health and social need of the public. As per this, I also ensure that individual and family of patient receive accurate, sufficient and timely information about medication and treatment which enables them to make their choices. I also learnt to maintain high degree of confidentiality and environmental safety at the workplace. Accepting these conducts helped me understand the professional values such as respect, justice, equality, responsibility, caring, compassion, empathy, trustworthiness and integrity (Dobrowolska and et.al., 2007). It helps me respect the dignity and universal rights of all which includes patients and their caretakers.
As per this code of conduct, this profession allows me to take personal responsibility and accountability for professional practice. As per this, I maintain competence by engaging in professional development courses and continuous learning on consistent basis. Along with this, I also ensure that advanced technology is used with utmost safety.
As per this, I fulfil role in determining and implementing standards of nursing practice, research and education. Here, I actively participate in expanding research based professional knowledge which further helps in evidence-based practice. Beside this, I consistently engage in creation and application of research findings which will improve the outcome for individuals and their families.
Here, as per the code of conduct I learn to maintain friendly and healthy relations with co-workers while conducting professional practice. Along with this, I develop deeper understanding of the roles and responsibilities of self and other workers as well.
Values and Responsibilities
This code serves me as a guide about what actions and decisions to perform. It acts as a non-negotiable standard which all the health care professionals have to adhere at any cost. Moreover, it is like a reminder to conduct every action with the motive of serving the society. As well as, it helps me understand various provisions with regards to my practice. (Daly, 2005)
- It helps to conduct my practice with utmost compassion and gratitude towards patients.
- It helps me understand the rights and safety concerns of patients.
- It helps me accept responsibility towards patient and become answerable for the actions taken. Moreover, my responsibility includes delegating tasks to the right personnel.
- It helped me improve the work environment by showcasing professionalism inside and outside the workplace.
- It helped me engage in healthcare policies and keep supporting next generation department to build professionalism.(Nixon, 2013)
These codes of conduct are professional directions which nurses, midwives and nursing associates have to uphold in order to get themselves registered. Well, coming to ethical values, it clearly defines what kind of actions, intentions and motives are valued in the organizational setting. These are the moral or ethical principles that govern how one should behave. (Numminen and et.al., 2011) Moreover, these ethical directions are required in health care systems because it helps workers recognize dilemmas and make good judgements and decisions based on the values. These are guidelines which I comply to conduct my nursing practice with integrity and honesty.
- I make consistent efforts to prevent patients from diseases and alleviate their pain and suffering and it is the main motive behind conducting this practice.
- I offer them care without discriminating them on the base of caste, creed, religion, age, gender or any other factor with the objective of eliminating injustice and inequality.
- I take responsibility of the actions and judgements taken by me while doing my practice. These actions are carried out when it is agreed by patients or their family members in a way which meets the professional and legal requirements.(Yakov, Shilo & Shor, 2010).
- Besides this, I inform patients and their care takers of what all treatment is required which enables them to make informed choices about each and everything.
- We nursing department are the heart of the communication process. As we are the in charge of most of the communication incur between patients and healthcare team. This includes informing patients and caretakers about health condition, treatment and medication procedures to be performed.(Kangasniemi, Viitalähde & Porkka, 2010).
- There are certain standards of practice which includes assessment, diagnosis, outcomes, identification, planning, implementation and evaluation. So, all these processes are followed in order to reach conclusion.
- As a member of nursing staff, I have ample knowledge of the field which enables me to use my expertise with intelligence. I align my knowledge and understanding of the subject with the needs of individual and serve them with utmost care and compassion.
- My friends and I work in a cooperative manner in order to make sure patient treatment is of high standard and has the best possible outcome.
So, these standards of ICN are used as a guide to carry out professional practice.
As per this case study, Theo is suffering from depression and tried to attempt suicide twice. Depression is a common disorder that affects many people almost every day. It has no age group defined, and can be in anyone irrespective of gender. Every time he felt like someone is sitting on his chest and was constantly suffering due to this. In this scenario, as per the code of conduct studied earlier, I will make constant efforts to lift up his spirits by talking to him and knowing what all his interest are, this is the first step I will take to handle the case. So, this sympathetic nature makes the patient feel good that someone is understanding their feelings rather than judging them. I will try to gain his trust upon the depression treatment and how effective it has been for patients. Besides this, I will let him know about the success rate of treatments to boost up his confidence level. It is very common for us to deal with the depressed clients on almost daily basis. (Torrens University Australia, 2022). As per my professional practice, I will design nursing care plan for him. These plans help determining a degree of impairment required by assessing the client’s coping capabilities and diagnosing their current situation to give them the required treatment. Moreover, I will encourage him to take part in outdoor activities to combat depression even after they are not feeling to do it. So, helping him engage in entertaining activities will help him to fight this chronic illness.
With respect to above report, it is concluded that professional practice is done while adhering to ethical rules and regulations. In this ICN code of ethics are discussed which helps in performing actions professionally and ethically. It assists in taking standard action while conducting practice, education, research or management. Along with this how chronic ailment of the patients can be treated ethically are all clearly specified.
Dobrowolska, B., Wro?ska, I., Fidecki, W., & Wysoki?ski, M. (2007). Moral obligations of nurses based on the ICN, UK, Irish and Polish codes of ethics for nurses. Nursing Ethics, 14(2), 171-180., doi: 10.1177/0969733007073697
Numminen, O., Leino-Kilpi, H., van der Arend, A., & Katajisto, J. (2011). Comparison of nurse educators’ and nursing students’ descriptions of teaching codes of ethics. Nursing Ethics, 18(5), 710-724., doi: 10.1177/0969733011408054
Nixon, V. (2013). Professional practice in paramedic, emergency and urgent care., unique identifier: 846944832
Batten, J. A., Lon?arski, I., & Szilagyi, P. G. (2018). When kamay met hill: Organisational ethics in practice. Journal of business ethics, 147(4), 779-792., https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-017-3435-4
Kangasniemi, M., Viitalähde, K., & Porkka, S. (2010). A theoretical examination of the rights of nurses. Nursing ethics, 17(5), 628-635., doi: 10.1177/0969733010373432
Yakov, G., Shilo, Y., & Shor, T. (2010). Nurses’ perceptions of ethical issues related to patients’ rights law. Nursing ethics, 17(4), 501-510., doi: 10.1177/0969733010368199
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
My Assignment Help. (2022). Ethical Codes Of Conduct For Nurses: Professional Practice And Humanistic Goals. Retrieved from https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/ban101-becoming-a-nurse/the-icn-code-of-ethics-for-nurses-file-A1DA175.html.
"Ethical Codes Of Conduct For Nurses: Professional Practice And Humanistic Goals." My Assignment Help, 2022, https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/ban101-becoming-a-nurse/the-icn-code-of-ethics-for-nurses-file-A1DA175.html.
My Assignment Help (2022) Ethical Codes Of Conduct For Nurses: Professional Practice And Humanistic Goals [Online]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/ban101-becoming-a-nurse/the-icn-code-of-ethics-for-nurses-file-A1DA175.html
[Accessed 02 March 2024].
My Assignment Help. 'Ethical Codes Of Conduct For Nurses: Professional Practice And Humanistic Goals' (My Assignment Help, 2022) <https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/ban101-becoming-a-nurse/the-icn-code-of-ethics-for-nurses-file-A1DA175.html> accessed 02 March 2024.
My Assignment Help. Ethical Codes Of Conduct For Nurses: Professional Practice And Humanistic Goals [Internet]. My Assignment Help. 2022 [cited 02 March 2024]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/ban101-becoming-a-nurse/the-icn-code-of-ethics-for-nurses-file-A1DA175.html.