In this section you will need to demonstrate that you can:
1. Identify and prepare assessment tools and processes according to organisation policy and procedures.
2. Gather existing information about the person.
3. Seek additional information from specialists and other sources as required to determine the range of issues that may be affecting the person.
4. Organise practical aspects of assessment in consultation with the person being assessed.
5. Provide information about the assessment process to the person and obtain consent.
The Importance of Assessing Mena's Mental Health and Trauma
You are preparing to assess Mena, in order to decide on what treatment and services will be most useful for her. (When answering the following questions, you will need to bear in mind the role that your organisation’s policies and procedures will play in assessing clients.)
- Identify which type of assessment you think will be most helpful for Mena, and explain the benefits of using this method.
An assessment in the psychosocial and mental health domain needs to be carried out in which Mena’s history of mental health, behavioural and emotional developments, social competence and identity developments need to be assessed. To be precise, mental health assessment and trauma assessment need to carried out. A psychiatrist will need to make a mental health plan where Mena’s requirement for medication or psychological support will be chalked out. A psychologist trained to assess trauma will help Mena in understanding and managing her responses to the traumatic event by developing effective coping techniques and strategies.
- Briefly outline which assessment tools and processes you will need to prepare prior to assessing her.
The assessment tools and processes required to prepare prior to assessment would include Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE), Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS), DMI-10 Self-Report Questionnaire, Edinburgh Depression Scale, Indigenous risk impact screen (IRIS), Mental Health Transcultural Assessment Checklist .
- Mena’s issues are complex and interrelated. Summarisein dot points the existing information that you have regarding Mena’s case, and explain what you believe her main issues and needs might be.
The existing information that is available regarding Mena’s case are-
- She is 32 years old, is married and has a four-year-old daughter Ahlia.
- She is from Egypt.
- She has lived in Australia for the past five years after getting married.
- She cannot speak English well.
- She suffers from trauma because of her husband’s accident 6 months ago which has rendered him unlikely to regain his capacities.
- She has been taking anti depressants.
- She has been unable to take care of Ahlia or follow up with her routine.
- There are signs that she has physically abused Ahlia.
Her main issues are that she has been suffering from trauma, depression and has been unable to cope with her daughter’s mental condition..
- Who might you speak to in order to obtain more information regarding the potential issues that may be affecting Mena?
First, it is essential to ask Mena for a self-report as that information would be compared to the ones from other sources, This would give a fuller picture about her situation and will be helpful for us to check the reliability. Information from other sources like Mena’s previous case notes, Health and specialist reports, her neighbors and family will give us a valuable insight to Mena’s present mental condition. Observation is also an effective way to pickup essential information from Mena’s appearance, speech, relatibility to others, ways of completing tasks and many more.
- You are conducting your initial assessment of Mena. Compose a dialogue between you and Mena in which you explain the assessment process to her and obtain her consent, as well as organise and establish the practical aspects of the assessment that is about to occur.
(Note: a translator would likely be present in this situation. Assume that the dialogue between you and Mena is being translated, and write your response in English.)
Hello Mena, How are you?
How have you been doing today?
Are you comfortable?
I am going to conduct certain assessments on you so that I can get a clearer view of the issues that you have been having. The assessment results will help us understand the intensity of how you have been feeling. You have the right to have a copy of all the assessments you take.
Tools and Processes Required Prior to Assessment
I will need you to fill up a consent form stating that you are willing to take the assessments.
There will be a translator available in case you need any help. You can also bring in someone you are comfortable with, if you want, during the time of your assessment.
Please let me know in case of any discomfort or if you have any questions at any point.
- List and describe three strengths-based tools or services that you might incorporate into this assessment, or consider when referring Mena to other services.
The strengths based tools that can be incorporated in th assessment include-
- Strengths Finder 2.0 by Gallup- This tool helps individuals finf theor intrinsic strengths and proved ideas about how to incorporate them
- VIA survey by VIA Institute of character – This is a personality test that focuses on the strengths of an individual and helps them find their core capacities.
- Strengths profile ex-R2- This strengths based tool measures about 60 key strengths of an individual across three dimensions of performance, usage and energy of those strengths.
- Outline the roles and responsibilities of each of the following in Mena’s assessment:
- The community worker-
A community worker will need to provide Mena with all the results of assessments that she took. He/she should be able to help Mena in having an insight into her issues, give her various ideas and information, suggest her services and ways so that she can move forward, but most importantly must be able to help the client in identifying and prioritizing her own needs and requirements.
Mena will have to cooperate while being assessed, try to have an insight about her situation and be willing to listen to the therapist about making the necessary changes in her life. She needs to understand the outcomes of the assessments and the steps that are required to be taken further.
- Mena’s family-
Mena’s family needs to be supportive during the period of her assessment and be considerate about her situation. They need to understand the results of her assessment too and help her understand the steps that are required to be taken further.
- Mena’s GP-
Mena’s GP needs to provide all the previous health history reports and give an elaborate information about her past behaviors. The GP and her therapist need to collaborate in order to make a proper mental health plan for Mena.
- Ahlia’s therapist and any other health practitioners-
Ahlia’s therapist needs to provide all the health histories of Ahlia and past relationship reports between Ahlia and her mother. He/she also needs to help chalk out a schedule for Ahlia so that Mena’s family can get a vivid idea of how to deal with Ahlia’s autism and how to give her proper training.
- List at least three indications that Mena’s situation is or has become urgent.
- Depressive state and intake of anti-depressant pills without any consultation with the therapist.
- Signs of physically abusing her daughter.
- Inability to cope with a traumatic incident and failing to deal with Ahlia’s situation or go through with her training sessions.
- Based on the information you have about Mena, what services do you believe she may be eligible for? Research and describe three to five services or networks (internal and/or external) that might be appropriate for Mena.
Few services that might be eligible for Mena that she could benefit for includes-
Cognitive Behavior therapy- either from a psychotherapist or online. CBT therapy helps individual cope with anxiety, depression and trauma.
Headspace- this is a government-funded organization which gives out information about how to deal with trauma and depression.
Black dog institute- they help increase awareness about mental health issues and the communities boost individuals up by motivating them to look forward to life.
- For each of the services described above, give an example of information you might supply Mena in order to assist her decision-making process.
Existing Information About Mena's Case
In case of CBT, I would tell her stories about my other clients who have benefitted from the therapy and how it has helped them in the long term. For headspace, I would show her the application available on Google play and give her an idea about how calming the effect of mindfulness programs can be. I would give explain to her, how the black dog institute helps people cope with depression and anxiety.
- Outline your legal and ethical responsibilities relating to the assessment, referral and reporting process for Mena, in the following areas:
- Privacy, confidentiality and disclosure-
There a number of National Privacy Policies that I have to maintain.
- There are certain rules foe what kind of personal data can be collect from the client as well as from the third parties and the what are the things that we need to let the clients know.
- There are rules about disclosure of the person’s private information.
- The information of the clients needs to be up- to- date.
- The information are to be kept secure an private.
- The individuals have the right to access their information at any point.
- The personal information are usually kept anonymous.
- Higher standards need to used for handling sensitive information.
- Duty of care-
Duty of care is my legal responsibility to make sure and that others are not being harmed, this means that I need to exercise my duty to a standard, which can reasonably be expected from someone in my position with the training and knowledge that I have in my role.
- Informed Consent –
This is a “statement for collection of personal information” provided to the client explaining about the information that is about to be collected, the reasons why the information is being collected and the certain individuals (individuals associated with providing support) who will have access to those information. The document will be provided to the client in plain English, community languages, large prints and simple languages. Interpreter according to the client’s preferred language would be provided. The client will have to sign the declaration suggesting their consent.
- In a case as complex as Mena’s, explain why it will be important for you to be aware of and work within the limits of your role, and seek assistance from others as necessary.
According to my Duty of Care, it is essential that I make sure to not harm anybody in the process of assessing and helping Mena out. I need to be aware of the work and be in my limits of knowledge because; assessments outside my expertise would give some wrong outcomes. It is essential to collaborate with other specialists who are experienced and adept at the task that is out of my hands. Also some assessments have the qualifications mentioned in the guidelines and it would be illegal to perform them without the required qualifications. Mena is at a very complicated place in her life and a proper help must be provided to her so that she she can cope with the situation and live a healthy life.
- Outline at least three risks that might be associated with Mena’s case and the delivery of services to her.
- Risk to self – this may include self-harm or suicide which might cause her to being hospitalized,
- Risk to her daughter- there are evidences of physical abuse reported by Ahlia’s therapist. There might occur a risk of the same taking place again.
- Risks of Trauma.
Ans: Also known as coexisting conditions, coexisting needs are someone is affected by one or more diseases simultaneously. Related terms like dual diagnosis or co-occurring disorder also mean the same. However, coexisting conditions affect everyone differently.
The coexisting needs of a patient are solely based on the type of disease or condition they are suffering from. Therefore, medical executives need to have knowledge; otherwise, they will not be able to serve the individuals effectively.
Ans: The practice of assessment cannot be thought of in isolation. Every element of higher education impacts assessment and is influenced by it.
Assessment is influenced by the students, the teachers, the organisation, and even the discipline in terms of how it is created, presented, accepted, and viewed.
Ans: Domain-based assessment will help the supervisors know about the issues individuals face. People with different issues and medical conditions get help from several community services.
People with domain knowledge tend to have different skills and qualities than the rest of the team. A cardiac surgeon, for instance, has specialised surgical and cardiac knowledge more than a general practitioner.
Ans: A student's academic talents, fluency, and skills in a particular subject are measured using assessment tools. They can also track progress toward academic mastery in a certain subject area.
In the context of community services, it can be said that these assessment tools are used to measure how seriously the disease is affecting the patient. Based on this, the medical or community service executives will suggest remedies accordingly.
Ans: A few examples are listed below :
- Alcohol and drug use
- Brain injury
- Gambling addiction
- Physical conditions
- Autism disorder
Mental health conditions affect individuals differently. It also applies to people with different coexisting conditions.
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
My Assignment Help. (2020). Assessing Mena Mental Health And Trauma: Assessment Tools And Processes.. Retrieved from https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/chcccs004-assess-co-existing-needs.
"Assessing Mena Mental Health And Trauma: Assessment Tools And Processes.." My Assignment Help, 2020, https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/chcccs004-assess-co-existing-needs.
My Assignment Help (2020) Assessing Mena Mental Health And Trauma: Assessment Tools And Processes. [Online]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/chcccs004-assess-co-existing-needs
[Accessed 24 February 2024].
My Assignment Help. 'Assessing Mena Mental Health And Trauma: Assessment Tools And Processes.' (My Assignment Help, 2020) <https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/chcccs004-assess-co-existing-needs> accessed 24 February 2024.
My Assignment Help. Assessing Mena Mental Health And Trauma: Assessment Tools And Processes. [Internet]. My Assignment Help. 2020 [cited 24 February 2024]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/chcccs004-assess-co-existing-needs.