The evaluation will centre on the suitability of Charts, Tables and/or Graphs used to represent, or visualise, data. The source document for these Charts, Tables and/or Graphs will be a published report from a Government or significant Organisation of your choice.
There are many suitable reports that you can use for your evaluation and you might be comfortable selecting a document that is aligned with your current field of study. For instance, if you were a Business student then you might like to choose a listed (public) company’s Annual Investor Presentation such as the example shown under “Supporting Materials”. These types of reports can be sourced from a public company’s website (usually under Investor Centre) or the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX). Other suitable sources could be international organisations (e.g. World Health Organisation (WHO)), government departments or enterprises (e.g. Education Departments, water authorities, etc.).
When selecting a report to evaluate, ensure that the document is publically available and has a wide selection of Charts, Tables and Graphs.In this assignment, you will undertake two distinct tasks divided as Part A and Part B.
First, you will develop a list of generic evaluation criteria that critique valid practices when developing, or constructing, Charts, Tables and Graphs (i.e. visualisations), i.e. Part A.
Second, you will use the criteria you have just developed to evaluate the suitability of the Charts, Tables and Graphs (i.e. visualisations) utilised in a publically available report of your choice (subject to the conditions listed later in this document) i.e. Part B.
This section of the study has covered a brief analysis of the various criteria of the graphical representation of information used by Westpac.
- 360 Degrees Representation of information: The important benefit in terms of representation of data with the pie chart has been considered with information segregation into multiple classes.
- Values in terms of Percentage: This may often classify information with percentage value and applying the specific weighting to the information.
- Information classification into multiple classes: The use of pie chart and stacked bar graph has been conducive in representation of the information into multiple classes.
- Currency variations: The different changes pertaining to currency variations is often represented in form of vertical bar graph and stacked bar graph.
- Variables changing in terms of percentage: This particular usage of the information is particularly evident in case of stacked bar graph and vertical bar graph.
- Variations in the values adding up to a final value:This form of the representation of the information is evident in case of vertical graph.
- Depiction of the information range in currency: The inference of such an information can be evident in form of vertical bar graph with histogram.
- Effective variables used: The representation of information in this form of criteria can be identified with operating expenses, Net Income Interest and credit expenses.
- Trends mentioned in point: The representation of this form of information is evident with vertical bar graph integration of data.
- Formalization of trends overtime: The depiction of the various types of financial trend of information can be evident with the use of a histogram.
- Range of variables used: This system is particularly evident in form of using vertical bar graph and stacked bar graph.
- Use of shades in the graphical interpretation of the data: The identification of the information is often inferred with representing the data in percentage form for each group and plotting the same as per different color for better visual appearance.
- Alteration of multiple data sets into a single stacked information: The inference of information into a stacked bar graph is considered to useful in terms of quantities applied to the individual groups.
- 14. Combination of data set: This particular trend has been depicted to be useful in terms of the usage of line graphs.
- Changes in the data: Used inrepresentation of the data based on multiple fluctuations.
- Encoding Procedure: Used in short and long figures for simplicity. The plotting of such an information is seen with individual percentage applied to the total value in a group.
- Data Integration: Useful in financial representation. The important benefit of representation of such an information is also seen with representing market performance ratios.
- Data Customization:Evident when used in legends. The X-axis will consist of number of years and Y-axis will represent the currency presented with data customization.
- Geometrics: Beneficial in 360-degree segregation. The use of X-axis has been particularly useful in presentation of information as per yearly trend along with the use of geometrics.
- Associations of information- Using information with more number of styles. Moreover, the use of bar graph with the associations of the data can be considered with decreasing the financial data and trend.
The graphical usage of information for Westpac Banking Corporation is mostly evident with the usage of bar graph with trend line, double stacked bar graph and simple bar chart. Some of the other forms of representing information is seen to be evident with the use of line graph.
The matching criteria for this information are evident with 360 Degrees Representation of information, Values in terms of Percentage for Electricity generation exposure. The Representation of Electricity generation exposure is directly seen to be matching with criteria 1 and the same is represented in the doughnut chart. For instance, it needs to be seen that in this case the adherence to the criteria 1for Westpac is seen with using a doughnut chart. The use of percentage of the information has been evident with electricity generation exposure expressed in terms of the total percentage of TCE.
Representation of Electricity generation exposure
Representation of climate change solutions exposure
Presentation of Portfolio physical risk
Representation of Divisional contribution
It can be clearly seen that the composition of the lending percentage of the information is evident in form of using different shades. This is relevant with using shades of red for Australian mortgages and New Zealand lending. Similarly shades of gray has been used for Australian business, and Australian institutional. This is directly matching with criteria 12 which is related to information which is inferred with representing the data in percentage form for each group and plotting the same as per using different overheads with separate shades for better visualization.
Representation of lending composition
Depiction of composition of lending as per total percentage
Representation of Climate Change Solutions Exposure % Of TCE
Commercial property portfolio representation based on region, borrower type and sector
The cumulative value added is seen to be evident in terms of Cash earnings movements ($m) half on half with variables amounting to FY 2018. In a similar way, it needs to be further seen that the X-axis is considered with Change of variables in terms of currency, percentage and values adding up to a final value. For example, there has been a decrease in the cash earnings movement by 10%. This includes $ 4.3 increase in the remedial and funding costs. The expressing of the values as per the currency changes is also evident with the use of. The criteria 6 is seen to be based on Change in the values adding up to a final value. For example, this is evident with 425-263-22-278+76+116 summing up to 3814.
Depiction of Cash earnings half on half with Bar Graph
Depiction of Cash earnings full year with Bar Graph
Depiction of movement in expenses with Bar Graph
Depiction of net interest margin movement with Bar Graph
Depiction of movement in CET1 capital ratio with Bar Graph
The consideration of the criteria 17 is evaluated to be useful in financial representation. The important benefit of such an information is also seen with representing market performance ratios. This can be clearly depicted in several number of integration points for Westpac Banking Corporation. This is directly represented to be evident as per term deposit, savings and transactions in a stacked bar graph for time period September 17, March 18 and September 18 and relating the same to a doughnut graph to show the percentage of the term deposit, savings and transactions. Some of the other elements of the integration can be discerned with representing the data in terms of percentage. In addition to this, the representation has also followed using of different shades of color.
Representation of Electricity generation exposure
The criteria of alteration of multiple data sets into a single stacked information (criteria 13) can be directly seen with Westpac simultaneously representing the information on CET1 capital in percentage and monetary value. This information relates to Alteration of multiple data sets into a single stacked information. The main form of the implication of information can be seen with integration of data into a stacked bar graph which is considered to useful in terms of quantities applied to the individual groups.
Therefore, the inference of information into a stacked bar graph can be clearly defined in terms of company maintaining the relevant strength in the balance sheet. Moreover, the multiple integration can be discerned with the use of bar graph for percentage depiction of the information and use of line graph for the representation of percentage information.
The use of criteria 14 can be directly inferred with the use of Combination of data set. Moreover, it was also discussed that this particular trend has been depicted to be useful in terms of the usage in case of line graphs. Similarly, Westpac has used this type of information for representing capital in percentage and monetary value. Therefore, such a representation of the information can be directly be seen to be represented in a combined manner. In order represent the information in a better way the company used criteria 14 to show the percentage amount in form of the use of bar graphs and total capital in billion in form of line graph.
The categorization of the information based on criteria 3 is clearly inferred with the use of Information classification into multiple classes. In this case Westpac has used stacked bar graph to represent such an information. The classification of information into multiple classes is evident with breaking down the information such as Funding composition by residual maturity in form of separate categories. The categorization of multiple classes of information is evident with Wholesale Onshore less than 1yr, Wholesale Offshore less than 1yr, Wholesale Onshore more than 1yr, Wholesale offshore more than1yr, securitization, equity and customer deposits. The company has incorporated such a criterion for comparing this information over a timeline of 10 years.
Westpac has used stacked bar graph to present the information on Net stable funding ratio. This is directly relevant to criteria 15 which states the changes in the data based on multiple fluctuations. Interestingly it can be inferred that instead of showing numerical changes relating to this ratio, the company has shown the changes in form of the portion occupied by the stacked bar graph. For instance, in case of available stable funding the capital occupies a smaller share in the stacked bar graph in compared to Retail and SME deposit. Similarly, in case of required stable funding the portion occupied by other loans is higher than liquid assets. 2018)
The company has represented inflation information by using appropriate variables. This is adhering to the criteria 8 which is related to Effective variables used. For instance, the representation of information in this form of criteria in this case can be inferred with the use of Avg RBA core CPI %qtr, (rhs), Headline CPI %yr (lhs) and Avg RBA core CPI %yr (lhs). The company has also integrated several forms of variables into a single dataset. This can be inferred with percentage of the yearly inflation and percentage of inflation in every quarter.
In the figure below, it can be inferred how Westpac has shown positive trends of business conditions over a time period of 12 years. This is adhering to criteria 10 Formalization of trends overtime. This is mainly seen with the depiction of the various types of financial trend of information can be evident with the use of a histogram or a line graph. In the given situation the company has portrayed the information related to trend of Australian business conditions as per Goods related, Business services and Consumer sectors. In addition to this, it has followed the method of 3 month moving avg. deviation from avg. as the main technique for the trend analysis. The trend analysis is also seen to be using the criteria of shades.
Westpac.com.au. (2018) . [online] Available at: https://www.2018annualreport.westpacgroup.com.au/downloads/2018-Sustainability-Performance-Report.pdf [Accessed 5 Dec. 2018].
Westpac.com.au. (2018). [online] Available at: https://www.westpac.com.au/content/dam/public/wbc/documents/pdf/aw/ic/ASX_2018_Full_Year_Profit_Announcement.pdf [Accessed 5 Dec. 2018].
Westpac.com.au. (2018). [online] Available at: https://www.westpac.com.au/content/dam/public/wbc/documents/pdf/aw/ic/1H18_WBC_presentation_and_IDP.pdf [Accessed 5 Dec. 2018].
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
My Assignment Help. (2021). Evaluation Criteria For Charts, Tables, And Graphs In Reports | Analysis Of Westpac Banking Corporation Essay.. Retrieved from https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/co5124-data-analysis-and-decision-modelling/classify-information.html.
"Evaluation Criteria For Charts, Tables, And Graphs In Reports | Analysis Of Westpac Banking Corporation Essay.." My Assignment Help, 2021, https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/co5124-data-analysis-and-decision-modelling/classify-information.html.
My Assignment Help (2021) Evaluation Criteria For Charts, Tables, And Graphs In Reports | Analysis Of Westpac Banking Corporation Essay. [Online]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/co5124-data-analysis-and-decision-modelling/classify-information.html
[Accessed 01 March 2024].
My Assignment Help. 'Evaluation Criteria For Charts, Tables, And Graphs In Reports | Analysis Of Westpac Banking Corporation Essay.' (My Assignment Help, 2021) <https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/co5124-data-analysis-and-decision-modelling/classify-information.html> accessed 01 March 2024.
My Assignment Help. Evaluation Criteria For Charts, Tables, And Graphs In Reports | Analysis Of Westpac Banking Corporation Essay. [Internet]. My Assignment Help. 2021 [cited 01 March 2024]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/co5124-data-analysis-and-decision-modelling/classify-information.html.