Discuss about the Hospitality Management for Orientation Procedure.
Orientation is the procedure by which an employee is introduced to their new jobs as well as the work environment. Orientation helps the new employees to get adapted to their new company as well as to their colleagues. The orientation process mainly explains the rules related to the work to the new employees. An orientation provides benefits to the employers as well as the employees. The orientation conducted by a company helps to build a solid relationship between the company and the employees (Denhardt et al., 2013).
The process by which I was oriented in my new organization that is Empire tavern included the covering of the basics. I was introduced to the fundamentals of the company and I was acknowledged about the new rules and regulations of the company. The human resource department mainly conducted this process where I was clearly explained about the basic information of the company. The human resource department provided an overview regarding the safety as well as the accident avoidance issues. They also gave a brief about the salary structure and the incentives as well as the other benefits (Melton & Hartline, 2013).
The HR department also discussed about the policies related to dress code. During the orientation procedure, all my documents were verified that included the voter id proof as well my academic qualification proof. I completed the necessary paper work that was provided by the organization. During the orientation procedure, we were all demonstrated the task that we require to perform. After the completion of the orientation process, the operation was taken into consideration so as so check whether the process taught in the orientation can be checked (Bailo et al., 2015)
At the end of the first week I found the found the orientation procedure beneficial as I gained a lot of information about my company. With the help of the orientation procedure I was acknowledged about the policies and the procedure of the company. At the end of the first week I had a clear and transparent understanding of the core business of the company. I am also aware about the safety requirements as well as the policies, which are required to perform the job securely. I am also recognizable with the policies of the company that includes the holidays, absenteeism as well as the time of the vacation. With the help of the orientation, I also had a clear idea about the wage structure and the process of incentives that I will be able to earn if I can perform well. It became easier for me at the end of the first week to identify the location where the equipments are kept which I require during my work (Gong et al., 2013).
The three situations, which provided me with a learning experience, are as follows:
1. Quiz – Though Empire Tavern is well known for its Tuesday quiz, there can be some problem from the side of a customer participating in the quiz. In a quiz competition generally there are two parties who take part. However, many situations take place in which any of the either thinks that the other party is getting the benefit in the form of easier questions. In that case it might lead to a conflict between the two groups as one of the groups might feel cheated.
As a part of the organization, it is my duty to make the group understand that the questions are of the same standard for both the parties. However, the group, which has the full knowledge about the questions, will be able to answer. With this situation I will be able to handle situation in which I have to please both the groups without upsetting any one. I will look into the fact that the quiz is conducted in such a manner that both the groups are able to enjoy. The Empire Tavern is reputed entertainment revenue and being a part of the organization, it is my duty to maintain the reputation of my organization.
2. Live Music – Empire Tavern is known for entertaining the customers with the live music, however there are situations where an individual might not like the music that is being played. So in that case the customers might get disappointed and might think of going to some other place. Music is something that can make anyone happy, however, in this case if the situation takes a different turn it is my duty to handle it (Wrigley & Emmerson, 2013).
Being an employee of the organization, it is my duty to make the customers understand that the music they are looking for is not available as the singer who is singing the song prefers only light music. However, their favorite music will be played after the singer has completed singing the song. With the help of this situation I will be able to learn how to handle the customers who are not happy with the service (Chen, 2014).
3. Customer Service – The customers are the most important part of a restaurant as they are the one who helps an organization to grow. In the case of the customer service, the first impression is the last impression. A poor customer service might ruin the reputation of the business. It also happened with me when the customer did not like the food that was served (Gilmour et al., 2013).
As a result, the customer became irate and I had to handle the situation so that we can please our customer. Sometimes it does happen that the customers are at fault because many a times they order for a food without having any knowledge about the type of food they have ordered. However, it is most of the time the misunderstanding that leads to such hassle. Customers should only be handled carefully without any problem so that the organization can prosper. As we know the more customers we will get the more will be the profit of the organization.
While working in the organization, I did experience many new opportunities and I also learned new knowledge. The work experience helped me to differentiate myself, which is very essential in a workplace. While working in the organization, I became more aware about my self-reliance skills that are I can now aware about my strengths as well as weaknesses. I am able to increase my industry skills as well as the knowledge that is in turn helping me to develop more as an employee. The marketable knowledge, which I developed, included leadership, teamwork, customer awareness as well as problem solving skill. Even though we were given training on the way we need to execute our work (Appelbaum, 2013).
In today’s world, the knowledge and the information are as important to the business as that of the raw materials. While working I gained knowledge about the stuffs I did not know. I learned how to produce rugby protective and why it is so important for the players. I have always learned that a learning worker is valuable to an organization as the person can easily adapt himself to the changing working environment. I also gained information about the different types of process that are used while making the cuisine. Before joining the organization, I did not have much knowledge about the types of cuisine.
The world of business is also continuously changing, as there are many innovative technologies that are coming into force. Since I am a new worker it was very challenging for me and the factors that contributes to the culture of the workplace includes a broad range of written as well as unwritten codes. The organization in which I am working has a lot of written terms as well as conditions that are related to taking breaks and also the starting and the ending time of the job. In the beginning I really faced problem as I was not able to finish the food within the specified time period (Rademakers, 2012).
The experience, which I came across in the new organization, is as follows:
1. Dress Code – Though in the beginning of the orientation, it was clearly told that we need to follow a formal dress code that is the restaurant dress code, I did make the mistake of wearing a casual jeans on Wednesday because of which I had to undergo some punishments. The experience was not good and it was totally my fault that I forgot about the dress code (Mowday et al., 2013).
2. Colleagues – The organization in which I was working had the system of providing a buddy to the new comers. As a result, I always felt comfortable as my buddy used to accompany me to lunch and he always used to provide me with support whenever I needed. As a result, whenever I found it difficult to understand any job process my buddy always helped me. Therefore, I gained a deeper knowledge about the work structure and the new culture of the company was easily engrossed by me. I was totally involved in the new organization by my colleagues who were already working there for a long time (Burke, 2013).
My colleagues helped me to deal with the customers and also to answer their queries regarding the food items. They also helped me to prepare food trays for the customers who are new. The colleague helps by working as a team and as a result they help me to improve the flow of the work as well as the customer service.
3. Latest Technology – The latest technology, which I experienced in Empire Tavern was that the customers were able to order the food online with the help of their IPad even if they are waiting for their flight. The mode of payment has also changed due to the innovation of new technology. The latest technology has enhanced my experience as it has led to the productivity of the worker. The technology that is customer focused has a positive impact on the productivity of the employees. The latest technology is known to create dismissal as well as happiness among the customers who visits the place. I have to take the care of the organization so as to look forward to the welfare of my organization. It has also been taught in the orientation that we have to responsible towards the well being of the company that I need to maintain (Choudhary, 2013).
Appelbaum, E. (2013). The impact of new forms of work organization on workers. Work and Employment in the High Performance Workplace, 120.
Bailo, M., Baena, S., Marín, J. J., Arredondo, J. M., Auría, J. M., Sánchez, B., ... & Falcón, L. (2015). Procedure for the systematic orientation of digitised cranial models. Design and validation. Forensic science international, 257, 516-e1.
Burke, W. W. (2013). Organization change: Theory and practice. Sage Publications.
Chen, M. (2014, January). The effect of training on employee retention. InInternational Conference on Global Economy, Commerce and Service Science, Amsterdam, Atlantis Press.
Choudhary, R. (2013). Latest technology: an engine to create a high performing organization (A case of hospitality industry). EXCEL International Journal of Multidisciplinary Management Studies, 3(10), 201-208.
Denhardt, R. B., Denhardt, J. V., & Blanc, T. A. (2013). Public administration: An action orientation. Cengage Learning.
Gilmour, P., Borg, G., Duffy, P. A., Johnston, N. D., Limbek, B. E., & Shaw, M. R. (2013). Customer service: differentiating by market segment.International Journal of Physical Distribution & Materials Management.
Gong, Y., Zhou, J., & Chang, S. (2013). Core knowledge employee creativity and firm performance: The moderating role of riskiness orientation, firm size, and realized absorptive capacity. Personnel Psychology, 66(2), 443-482.
Melton, H. L., & Hartline, M. D. (2013). Employee collaboration, learning orientation, and new service development performance. Journal of Service Research, 16(1), 67-81.
Mowday, R. T., Porter, L. W., & Steers, R. M. (2013). Employee—organization linkages: The psychology of commitment, absenteeism, and turnover. Academic press.
Rademakers, T. (2012). Activiti in Action: Executable business processes in BPMN 2.0. Manning Publications Co..
Wrigley, W. J., & Emmerson, S. B. (2013). The experience of the flow state in live music performance. Psychology of Music, 41(3), 292-305.
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
My Assignment Help. (2017). Hospitality Management - Orientation Procedure. Retrieved from https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/hospitality-management-orientation-procedure.
"Hospitality Management - Orientation Procedure." My Assignment Help, 2017, https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/hospitality-management-orientation-procedure.
My Assignment Help (2017) Hospitality Management - Orientation Procedure [Online]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/hospitality-management-orientation-procedure
[Accessed 08 December 2023].
My Assignment Help. 'Hospitality Management - Orientation Procedure' (My Assignment Help, 2017) <https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/hospitality-management-orientation-procedure> accessed 08 December 2023.
My Assignment Help. Hospitality Management - Orientation Procedure [Internet]. My Assignment Help. 2017 [cited 08 December 2023]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/hospitality-management-orientation-procedure.