Mission and Vision Review
This assessment is designed to assess skills and knowledge required to establish the strategic direction of the organisation, sustain competitive advantage and enhance competitiveness.
This assessment is to be completed using the “MacVille’s Import/Export Business Centre” case study. It is included in the “Additional Information” section.
You have been the General Manager of MacVille’s successful import/export business centre in Sydney for the past two years. You have been asked by the Board to assist in the development and implementation of a strategic plan by initially conducting a review of the vision, mission and values of the organization
Please refer to the MacVille’s import /export business centre case study in the ‘Additional Information’ section at the end of this assignment. This includes the organisation’s plans including mission statement, vision and values, current strategic and operational planning documents and other information that will be useful during the planning process
- Review the MacVille’s vision and values from the case study information and write a summary of the following in not less than 250 words for MacVille’s import/export business centre’s:
o vision and mission
o Current practices of the organisation and, in particular, whether they support the mission objectives of the organisation or point to potentially new objectives for the organisation.
- Deliver a presentation with the summary points to your key stakeholder/strategic planning consultant (your assessor). Check if the stakeholder/consultant agrees with your findings. You are required to prepare summary notes to include recommendations made by the stakeholder/strategic planning consultant.
- After the presentation, you are required to draft an email to be sent to other stakeholder within the organisation, using the following headings:
- Existing vision and mission
From the case study information provided, describe the existing mission and vision statements, describe the current organisational understanding and enactment of the mission and vision statements.
- Current approaches
From the case study information and summary notes from your presentation with the key stakeholder
- Revised vision and mission
Develop revised vision and mission that reflect current organisational requirements
- Organisational values
Use the case study information, current approaches and reflecting on revised vision and mission statements from above, describe the organisational values required to support the revised vision and mission statements
Ensure the email is entitled ‘Mission/Vision review’
You will use these documents for reference and use in below tasks.
Using the information gathered from Task 1 and the case study provided (refer to Environmental Analysis section) on MacVille’s import /export business you are now required to complete analysis of the organisational environment to develop an understanding of potential competitors and allies and the associated risks and benefits.
- Complete PEST analysis (including a review of legislation impacting on MacVille)
- Complete SWOT analysis (including an evaluation of value–chain)
You are required to review competitors /allies of MacVille’s import/export business as described in the case study and:
- Summarise the strengths and weaknesses of each of the competitors/allies
- Develop a summary sheet statement for each potential ally for a co-operative venture that describe how they align with MacVille’s vision, mission, attributes and values, as identified on the tender document.
You are now required to meet with your supervisor (your assessor) to discuss and confirm the analyses you have completed from Task 2 and 3 above. Take notes and make any changes as suggested before submitting the final versions.
This part requires you to develop and document the strategic plan for MacVille’s import /export business taking into account the previous plan, your consultation and research.
You will use the information gathered from Part 1 to complete this
You must access the case study information (refer to Strategic Plan section) provided at the end of this project instructions for MacVille’s import/export business centre
- Develop a draft strategic plan to
Formulate strategic objectives for MacVille’s import /export business (based on Board minutes)
For each objective, develop and describe strategies that could be used to meet the objectives in the future.
For the Strategies described :
o Develop a prioritised list of strategies
o Describe a timeframe for each to be completed
o Assign responsibilities to team members for each strategy o Assign measurable performance indicators to each strategy
- Discuss the draft strategic plan with the CEO of MacVille’s import /export business (your assessor) and ask for comment/feedback, support and endorsement.
- After receiving the endorsement, develop briefing materials (in dot point) for all responsible parties, outlining the requirements of their roles in achieving the relevant strategy.
- Develop a cover statement / letter to be sent out with the strategic plan that includes:
o A brief overview of key objectives
o A description of research and process used to develop the plan
This part requires you to review the implementation of the strategic plan and develop a report to evaluating the implementation.
You must use the information gathered from Part 1 and 2 to complete this task and the case study information (refer to Reviewing Implementation section) provided at the end of this project.
For the case study information (refer to Reviewing Implementation section), develop a progress report with information provided under the following headings:
- KPI progress:Review and describe the progress of the strategic plan , according to the identified performance indicators
- Milestone progress :Evaluate the achievement of identified objectives against the timeline milestones for strategic plan
- Overall progress :Evaluate and describe the overall effectiveness and progress of the strategic plan
- Improvements:Make necessary refinements to ensure achievement of plan and describe methods for improving strategic planning processes.
Mission and vision
MacVille is a successful import/export business organization located in Sydney. The organization was a new one and had a history of only two years. The mission of the company was to establish itself as a multinational brand in the upcoming five years. The company is also committed to provide reliability and sustainability to the clients. The vision of the company is to cultivate leadership among the employees along with maintaining high commitment and diligent working. The vision of MacVille is to establish them as a leader in the import and export business. They are dedicated in providing the best quality products to the world and satisfy the customers all over. The vision of MacVille also includes attracting more customers and retaining the previous loyal customers.
Current practices of the organization
The current practices in MacVille are aligned towards the fulfilment of the mission and vision. However, few areas need enhancement such that the mission could be achieved faster and with better efficiency. The current practices of the company do not pave way for adequate innovation. Thus, this current practice has to be enhanced such that the company is able to take up innovation challenges and bring in innovation in the espresso coffee machines they sell all around the world. Moreover, the current practices of MacVille do not have anything innovative to give to the world. However, various modifications in the current practices such as the diligent working of the employees, motivation and dedication has to be incorporated such that they are able to take up the innovation challenges, that is essential for becoming an national brand.
This mail is to inform you regarding the existing mission and vision of the company, along with revised mission and vision, such that we all can work towards achievement of the mission. The organizational values that you need to consider to achieve the mission and vision are also briefed in this message.
The existing mission of the company is to satisfy the customers and attract more customers towards the business of MacVille.
The existing vision of MacVille is to establish itself as a national brand in the upcoming five years.
In order to ensure that the company is established as a national brand in the upcoming years, the mission and vision are revised.
The revised mission of MacVille is to strive towards excellence along with gaining the expertise of taking up innovation challenges
The revised vision of MacVille is to reach a leadership position in the import/export business of expresso coffee machines.
However, while the revised mission and vision are followed, it is essential that the organizational values are abided by. The trusts of the customers are to be retained along with the maintenance of quality. Moreover, the business ethics has to be maintained as well. As stakeholders it is your duty to abide by the organizational values, along with the fulfilment of the mission and vision of the organization.
Thanks and Regards
- PEST Analysis
The political scenario of country and the world has a strong impact on the business of MacVille. If the political stability is not achieved, then the import and export business is affected. Moreover, the political instability might also result in many countries banning the products of MacVille, thus decreasing the business to a significant amount. Moreover, if the legislations of the country impose a ban on the import and export of goods, then the business of MacVille will be hampered.
The economic stability is an essential condition that paves the way for better business enhancement for MacVille. In political unrest such as recession or inflation, the people around the world might not buy the expresseo coffee machines, thus having a negative impact on the business.
The social condition paves the way for enhancement of the business of MacVille. The changes in the lifestyle and food habits of the people all around the world would increase The number of coffee machines being bought by the people.
With the advancements in the technology, it is essential that MacVille takes up innovation challenges restoring to the advancements in the technology. Thus, the company might bring in innovation in the expresso coffee machine, one of its kind, such that the innovation could enhance the business of the company.
- SWOT Analysis
· One of its kind
· Quality assurance
· Timely delivery
· After sales services
· Efficient services
· Lack of national presence
· Lack of effective innovation challenges taken up by the MacVille
· Lack of expertise among the employees
· National expansion
· Changes in lifestyle of the people
· Expansion in the countries where coffee machines are not so popular
· Collaboration and partnership with the coffee bean manufacturers
· Rise of competitors
· Increase in the use of packaged coffee
· Decrease in the users of coffee machines due to the complexity of use
· The move to the new market in Sydney, was a potential threat since there were a lot of coffee machine sellers in that area
· Major competitor global corporation Nufix Inc, who were shifting from the instant coffee makers, to coffee machine seller
- Strengths and weaknesses of the competitors
An in-depth analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the competitors highlights the fact that the competitors are quite strong and they pose a potential threat to the business of MacVille. One of the greatest strengths of the competitors in the new market of Sydney was the huge number of coffee machine sellers who were already present in the market. Thus, the penetration of the MacVille was a difficult task. Another major strength of the competitor global corporation Nufix Inc, is that it has been shifting the business from instant coffee selling to coffee machine manufacturing. These strengths of the competitors are a major threat to the business of MacVille. However, the weaknesses of the competitors could be used as strength for MacVille. The major weaknesses of the competitors include the lack of collaboration and partnership with the coffee bean manufacturers. This could be used as a major opportunity for MacVille, to collaborate with the coffee bean manufacturers. For MacVille, to is essential to analyse and highlight the strengths and weaknesses of the competitors, such that MacVille, to gain competitive advantages, could use those.
- Cooperative venture
Alliance with the coffee bean manufacturers
This is an essential and effective alliance since the coffee bean manufactures could promote the use of MacVille coffee machines, such that the buyers of the coffee beans could also but the expresso coffee machines from MacVille. This is an effective joint venture since the endorsement from the major players of the markets of Sydney will increase the sale of the coffee machines. Thus, with this joint venture, the business of MacVille will increase resulting in the achievement of the mission and vision of MacVille.
Alliance with the major players of the Sydney market
Since MacVille has been venturing into the Sydney market, where there are also major players, hence the joint venture with these leaders of coffee machine manufactures will be effective for the business of MacVille. Since these companies have already established themselves, hence a joint venture with the major players will be beneficial for MacVille.
Joint venture with companies, providing technical assistance to the coffee machine manufacturers
Moreover, technical assistance is essential for the innovation and hence a joint venture and collaboration with the companies providing technical assistance will be a major step towards innovation.
- Strategic plan
The strategic plan for MacVille includes the formulation of the strategic objectives for enhancement of the business of MacVille.
The strategic objectives include the following:
- To sell the MacVille expresso coffee machines and provide effective after sale services
- To increase the margin of profits by 5% in the upcoming five years
- To establish the brand image and enhance the brand value of MacVille
- To reduce the consumption of energy as well as engage into effective waste managment
- Joint venture and partnership with the various companies such as the major players in the markets of Sydney
- Partnership with the coffee bean manufacturers such that the business of MacVille could be enhanced
- Alliance with the companies providing technical support to the coffee machine manufacturing machines
In order to ensure that the joint venture and partnership with the major players of the markets of Sydney, it is essential that a common goal and work culture between the two companies are established. Moreover, the employees have to develop the expertise such that they are able to work successfully with the company in partnership. The partnership with the coffee bean manufacturers is also a strategic objective and it is essential that both the companies develop a common platform of work. The coffee beans that are manufactured has to be compatible with the coffee machine itself.
The prioritised list of strategies along with the time frame for the completion of each are as follows:
- Joint venture with the major players of Sydney- The estimated time for fulfilment of this is 2 months. The team that is assigned this duty is the top level managers of MacVille who are able to negotiate and understand the importance of the alliance. With the successful achievement of this strategy, the sales of MacVille will be witnessed to rise in a remarkable manner.
- After the strategic objectives are set successfully, the CEO of MacVille is consulted. The CEO highlights the changes that are required in the objectives and the changes are made accordingly.
- According to the CEO, the major objective that needs to be taken up is the preparation of the employees such that the they are able to work according to the goals and objectives set for them. Moreover, the objectives and the basic organizational values of both the organization has to be synchronous, in order to avoid major organizational conflicts. Moreover, according to the opinion of the CEO, it is essential that penetration-pricing strategy be used in order to venture into the new markets in Sydney.
- The key objectives include:
- Strategic alliance
- Quality enhancement
- Development of key leadership to direct the employees towards the achievement of the goals
- Development of common organizational goals and objectives
- KPI progress
The first objective is to sell the MacVille espresso coffee machines along with servicing the coffee machines, in whichever state they are in, for the upcoming five years. The first strategy is to sign, action and then establish the strategic alliances with the company named Java estate. The KPI progress includes the installation of 200 machines installed per annum. However, the actual progress is lesser than the KPI plans. The actual KPI highlighted that only 180 machines have been installed. Thus, the KPI progress is not as expected. The second strategy is the establishment of the MacVille Melbourne warehouse. MacVille was to open a store in Melbourne, two years after it has opened the store in Sydney. However, in reality the Melbourne warehouse is not opened yet. The next strategy is to set up agents who will maintain the contacts that have been made. The KPI plan was to outsource the contracts of maintenance for various regions of Australia. However, the KPI progress is not effective. No service contracts for the Northern territories were developed.
The second objective was to increase the margin of profit y 5%, in the upcoming 5 years. In order to fulfil this objective, the strategy of investing in bulk buying was devised. The KPI plan was to purchase 100% by the container loader. However, in reality, the KPI was achieved way ahead before time. Hence, the KPI progress of this strategy was a steady one. The next strategy to achieve the second objective is the operation of the various departments in optimum productivity as well as capacity. The KPI plan was to maintain a wages to turnover ratio of 1.25%. However, in reality, some of the states were not performing well enough.
The third objective is to establish the brand recognition in the key markets in which the company operates. The objective is to ensure that 50% of the target market recognises the brand successfully. In order to ensure that this objective is fulfilled, social and network marketing has to be done. The KPI plan was to ensure 10,000 clicks on the website per day. However, the KPI achieved was 12,000 clicks per day. Thus, the KPI progress was commendable and a grand success.
- Milestone progress: The mile stone progress of the first strategy of the first objective is low since the first milestones of installing the essential number of coffee machines are not fulfilled. The milestone progress is not good enough, since the Melbourne has not been opened yet. The milestone that have been set is not met, since there is no progress in the contracts and its maintenance. The milestone progress was a steady one, since the target had been achieved before the stipulated time. The milestone progress was achieved exceeding the target that had been set. The mile stone was set for achieving 10,000 clicks per day. However, 12,000 clicks per day were achieved. Thus, the milestone progress was exceeding the target that was set. Another strategy is to collaborate with the Java Estate in co-branding cups as well as the cafe banners. The KPI plan was to ensure that 100% of the cafe will use the machines of MacVille. However, a survey revealed that only 50% of the cafes used the MacVille coffee machines. Thus, the KPI progress was not achieved.
- Overall progress: The overall progress could be termed as a good one, since the basic initiatives have been taken successfully. The overall progress of the second strategy of establishing the Melbourne store has no progress since the store has not been established yet. The overall progress of the contract maintenance is also not satisfactory, since the outsourcing of the contracts have not been taken place. The overall progress of the strategy of investing in bulk amount was impressive and commendable. The overall progress of the maintenance of the wages to turnover ratio was not maintained effectively. The overall progress of the 10,000 clicks per day on the website was performing well as the website achieved 12,000 clicks per day. The overall progress is not sufficient since only 50% of the cafes have been using the coffee machines of MacVille.
- Improvements: The necessary improvements include installation of more coffee machines, which will fulfil the organizational goals.The improvements that are essential include the immediate opening of the Melbourne stores. The maintenance of the contracts and its outsourcing needs to be done with urgency such that the contracts could be maintained easily. the improvement of the states that have been underperforming have to be improved. Once the target clicks have been achieved, the target is raised to achieve a higher level of brand recognition. Thus, the adequate improvement is desirable.
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
My Assignment Help. (2021). Establishing Strategic Direction Of MacVille's Import/Export Essay.. Retrieved from https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/bsbmgt616-develop-and-implement-strategic-plans/macville-business.html.
"Establishing Strategic Direction Of MacVille's Import/Export Essay.." My Assignment Help, 2021, https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/bsbmgt616-develop-and-implement-strategic-plans/macville-business.html.
My Assignment Help (2021) Establishing Strategic Direction Of MacVille's Import/Export Essay. [Online]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/bsbmgt616-develop-and-implement-strategic-plans/macville-business.html
[Accessed 22 February 2024].
My Assignment Help. 'Establishing Strategic Direction Of MacVille's Import/Export Essay.' (My Assignment Help, 2021) <https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/bsbmgt616-develop-and-implement-strategic-plans/macville-business.html> accessed 22 February 2024.
My Assignment Help. Establishing Strategic Direction Of MacVille's Import/Export Essay. [Internet]. My Assignment Help. 2021 [cited 22 February 2024]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/bsbmgt616-develop-and-implement-strategic-plans/macville-business.html.