Mrs Edith Jackson is an 82-year-old lady who was recently admitted to The Golden Days Nursing Home where you work. Edith has Parkinson’s disease and early stage Parkinson’s dementia. She also has low vision and is hard of hearing and wears glasses and hearing aids in both ears. Michael is Edith’s son and her sole support person.
1.Provide an example conversation of what you would say when communicating the incident to the patient and son
2.Identify the key/relevant health professionals/ facility teams you are required to contact in this situation and provide a rationale.
You are working as an Enrolled Nurse in a rehabilitation unit and while on your break you check your social media account and notice that one of your colleagues, who is a friend of yours, has posted some information relating to one of the patients on the unit.
1.What ethical principles and regulatory responsibilities do you need to consider in this situation?
2.Provide a definition for the term ‘advocacy’ and describe how you would advocate for the patient in this situation?
3.You are asked by your supervisor to provide feedback to the colleague who has posted this information on social media. Describe at least four strategies you could use to deliver a constructive outcome when providing this feedback.
4.Provide an example of the feedback you could provide to your colleague, using appropriate language and a respectful manner.
David is a 58-year-old cardiac patient who had been verbally aggressive over the last two days since he has been admitted to the ward. You have been asked by the manager to have a chat with David to see how he is feeling.
1.What are closed ended questions and in what situations would you use closed questions with David?
2.What are open questions and in what situations would you use open questions with David?
3.Discuss the term ‘Active Listening’ and provide at least one (1) example of how this could be used in this situation
4.Identify what constitutes effective communication in nursing?
5.Describe de-escalation and provide an example of a de-escalation strategy
6.Explain the benefits of a debriefing process and explain why it would be useful following this situation.
7.Your supervisor provides you with some feedback on how you handled this situation, identify at least three (3) strategies you could use to effectively receive feedback.
Communication and behaviour support for nurses- practice package was implemented for what reason?
2. During the situation of harm to patient, contacting senior clinicians and management is important to engage in proper discussion process, initiate the open disclosure process and identity the desired course of action needed during such situation. This would help to timely report about events and enter into negotiation with patient and their family members (Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care, 2013)
1. In this situation, I have the responsibility to contact the enrolled nurse and make her aware about obligations in relation to use of social media according to the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia. I will inform her that while using social media, considering all obligations mentions in the National Law, their National Board’s Code of Ethics and professional conduct and the Guidelines for advertising regulated health services are important (Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia, 2014). I will advice her that she has professional obligation to follow the Code of Conduct and maintain privacy and confidentiality of patient information. This will make her aware that posting information related to patient may lead to breach of patient’s privacy and confidentiality.
2. Advocacy can be defined as the process by which people take the responsibility to advocate for heath promotion of patient and take patient centered care approach to meet diverse needs of patient. It can also be defined as an approach to support patients from overcoming major barrier during accessing care.
I would advocate for the client in this situation by taking the responsibility to protect confidentiality of the client by making the enrolled nurse aware about the breach of privacy and confidentiality policy by posting information about patient’s message on the social media. I would also provide all the documents that restricts use of social media for revealing patient’s private detail as per the National law and Code of conduct ((Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia, 2016). Being aware about legal and ethical regulations related to use of social media can help the enrolled nurse to avoid using such post in the future.
3. Four strategies I could use to deliver a constructive outcome, when providing this feedback would be to be very specific, convey my perspective respectfully, avoiding blaming language and use appropriate tone while speaking. I would try to give assertive feedback to the enrolled nurse by avoiding by describing what is wrong in her behaviour without judging it and concretely connect the behaviour to its consequences in professional life. I would also try to be honest while giving suggestions to promote trust among services users.
4. Hi, I was reviewing my social media site and I came across a post about your experience with a patient in practice setting. I understand you just wanted your friends to know about your experience. However, I would like to point out that posting such message can lead to ethical and legal consequences in your professional practice. This is because as per the National law and Australian Midwifery Board of Australia, clinical professionals are prohibited from using patient’s private details on social media (Balzer Riley, 2017). From my perspective, it is better that patient’s name and any clinical detail is not used in social media. I would prefer if you review the documents for social media policy. You can then understand what conduct is acceptable or not while using social media.
1. Close ended questions are those that are developed in such a way to get a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ option. Close ended questions limits options but provides the ability to get necessary information without wasting enough time issue (Gault, 2017). Hence, it can be used during emergency situations with David.
Two examples of closed question are as follows:
Have you taken any medications to control your anger or aggressive behaviour?
Have you ever taken psychological treatment in the past?
2. Open-ended questions are those are developed in a way to get long answers from the responder. This types of questions gives people the liberty to provide answers in their own way either using too little or too much information. This type of question will be useful in case of Davis when the purpose is to extract any detailed information about his health issue (Gault, 2017).
Two examples of such type of questions include:
While communicating with Mr. David, active listening can be achieved by following the SOLER acronym. This involved sitting in a comfortable distance away from the person (S), having an open and relaxed posture (O), leaning slightly forwards (L), making eye contact (E) and maintaining relaxed posture (R) (Gault, 2017).
4. The following are the elements that are needed for effective communication in nursing:
For example, De-escalation is the first line of treatment for responding to violence and aggressive behaviour of patient in health care setting (Hallett & Dickens, 2017). Nurses in clinical setting have used the approach of building rapport and engaging in emphatetic communication with patient using non-confrontational language. Honesty and confidence is also an effective de-escalation skill (The Nurse Path, 2016).
6. Debriefing is an important part of interprofessional team communication during any incident and it involves sharing thoughts and feelings about the problem at hand, reflection on the situation and problem solving strategies used to control the situation. During incidence of adverse events in clinical setting, debriefing plays a role in sharing all knowledge related events that took place during the incident and the challenges faced and interventions implemented during the shift
Debriefing will be important after Mr. David’s display of verbal and physical aggressiveness as this would help to be aware about the things that happened after David became aggressive
7. The three strategies that I can use to effectively receive feedback from the supervisor are as follows:
Clarifying feedback: To make sure that I understand the feedback, I will actively ask question from my supervisor and respectfully ask to repeat the feedback if I have not understood (Balzer Riley, 2017).
2. The four domains that has been identified within the standards for the communication and behaviour support for nurse-practice package includes the following:
4. Two organization procedures surrounding electronic health records for health care personnel include:
5. While utilising information technology to access data, the following three tips will be useful for nurse to ensure that the web page accessed is reliable:
6. Nuring clinical practice, participating in group meetings and discussion is important. Some of the procedures that the nurse need to be aware about includes the following:
7. The three objectives of forming small groups are as follows
9. To ensure that the meetings are of value, the nurse can focus on the following 5 things while conducting the meeting:
10. The following communication techniques to effectively understanding feedback in relation to performance improvement conversations:
11. The three step communication technique of ‘commend, recommend and commend’ is important while providing balanced feedback. The first step ‘commend’ starts with the approach to praise the person regarding the good things or achievement that the person has received so far. After this, the person can be recommended to further improve his skills by using communication techniques like ‘one way you could improve the communication skills are. The final step is to again commend the client by praising the person for receiving the feedback in a positive manner
12. While giving or receiving feedback, use of appropriate language and respectful manner is important to avoid conflict during the process. There are two strategies that reflect use of appropriate language and respectful manner during the feedback:
Another strategy is to provide balanced feedback by never giving personal comments and starting with commending the client first. Word of encouragement can have positive impact on client and by using the commend, recommend and comment technique, the person can be motivated to change his or her behaviour based on feedback.
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
My Assignment Help. (2020). Apply Communication Skills In Nursing Practice 3. Retrieved from https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/hltenn002-apply-communication-skills-in-nursing-practice-3.
"Apply Communication Skills In Nursing Practice 3." My Assignment Help, 2020, https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/hltenn002-apply-communication-skills-in-nursing-practice-3.
My Assignment Help (2020) Apply Communication Skills In Nursing Practice 3 [Online]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/hltenn002-apply-communication-skills-in-nursing-practice-3
[Accessed 31 May 2020].
My Assignment Help. 'Apply Communication Skills In Nursing Practice 3' (My Assignment Help, 2020) <https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/hltenn002-apply-communication-skills-in-nursing-practice-3> accessed 31 May 2020.
My Assignment Help. Apply Communication Skills In Nursing Practice 3 [Internet]. My Assignment Help. 2020 [cited 31 May 2020]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/hltenn002-apply-communication-skills-in-nursing-practice-3.
Citation becomes a hassle, especially when you have more than one sources to refer to for creating your research paper. We provide you information on how to write a lookup paper, supply you with ans ideal research paper outline, excellent research paper topics. We also assist you with writing a research proposal and various research undertaking ideas. We strictly adhere to the instructions and conventions. Owing to our stringent focus on paper quality and deadline, we are one of the best paper writing services in the industry.
Answer: Introduction: The small particles of plastic present in the environment coming from a variety of sources such as clothing, cosmetics and industrial process are known as microplastics. Primary microplastics (direct result of human product and material use) and secondary microplastics (microscopic plastic fragments) persist in high levels in the environment, mainly in marine and aquatic ecosystem. Plastics do not break down for a ...Read More
Answer: Whether it is in the form of a poetry, short story and drama; Literature is a form of entertainment that had been around from ages, entertaining people all round the globe. They are usually written by different poets and authors in order to convey their amazing imaginations, deepest feelings and desires. Each and everyone for sure have been exposed to a literature genre in their life at some or the other point. This paper will elaborate ...Read More
Answer: A Study On The Importance Of Play In The Learning Process Of Children With An Explanation Of Practitioners’ And Parents’ Attitudes Towards Children’S Play. Introduction: In the view point of McClintic and Petty (2015), child’s development can be very effectively be influenced by the teaching as well as the play. Children can in fact gain a higher level of understanding when the parents or the care givers...Read More
Answer: Somali Bantu Association of Maine The program that is to be conducted under the Somali Bantu Association of Maine is a 501©3 non-profit organization aims at reducing the major issue of students dropping out of schools. According to the program, the students will be provided with after school tutoring services three days a week. More than 120 students will be taught by teachers who will be paid as well as by teachers who wi...Read More
Answer: Introduction: The privatisation of the National Health Services (NHS), UK is one of the major topics for the debate among all the residents of the country irrespective of their economic and social status in the society. There are experts who argue in favour of the privatisation while there are also the experts who choose to argue against the same. The NHS an organisation founded in the year 1948 that provides the residents of the countr...Read More
Just share Requriment and get customize Solution.
Our writers make sure that all orders are submitted, prior to the deadline.
Using reliable plagiarism detection software, Turnitin.com.We only provide customized 100 percent original papers.
Feel free to contact our assignment writing services any time via phone, email or live chat.
Our writers can provide you professional writing assistance on any subject at any level.
Our best price guarantee ensures that the features we offer cannot be matched by any of the competitors.
Get all your documents checked for plagiarism or duplicacy with us.
Get different kinds of essays typed in minutes with clicks.
Calculate your semester grades and cumulative GPa with our GPA Calculator.
Balance any chemical equation in minutes just by entering the formula.
Calculate the number of words and number of pages of all your academic documents.
Our Mission Client Satisfaction
I would recommend it to my friends, easy to contact. always on time and offering good prices
The work was phenomenally done, and it was even praised. I highly recommend this site, the service and help, altogether, I would not have passed any classes if it weren\'t for you guys and gals
The assignment was very well written, and the teacher was very pleased and praised the work.
For once, what I asked for was delivered without any hassle and going back and forth. Whichever writer did the assignment, thank you so much for revamping my assignment based on the feedback that was provided.