The 60-strong adjusting workforce is distributed across the country, with only a small team in the Victoria St office. They are a very mobile workforce, most of them don’t have a desk or an office, instead working from cars and home offices. The adjusting workforce also an issue identified by the consultant. Contemporary insurance practice was to have a very small team of adjusters who handled long-term cases, and contract independent adjusters for everything else. In contrast, JI’s adjusting workforce did nearly all adjusting activities. There were two reasons where external adjusters are used;
1) Were in outlying areas and in west Malaysia, where it was unfeasible for JI staff to travel for hours to investigate a single case, and
2) Where serious fraud was suspected or highly technical specialist investigations were needed.
Your task is to form a plan for achieving the Board’s strategy of splitting the company in two, preparing one half for sale, and the other half to start focussing on their new business niche. This assignment is formed so you can complete one part of it each week immediately following class, and we strongly recommend this.
As a minimum, your report must cover the following items. These are covered in the order they appear in the session guide.
Please note, these topics are a minimum, and not an exhaustive list. You need to use your best judgement to form a remuneration plan that meets the need of the changing organisation:
Points to be covered as a minimum in each section.
1 Introduction to unit. Human resources strategy and organisational strategy.
- Alignment of HRM activities and strategy with corporate strategy.
2 HRM’s role in change management – principles and models.
- Using HRM activities and structures to prompt, actualise, and re-freeze change.
- Minimising staff loss at times of change.
3 Principles and practice of HRM Ethics, Corporate Social Responsibility, Occupational Health and Safety.
- Applying the principles of CSR, OHS, and HR ethics to the change project.
4 Organisation and job design for high performance and staff engagement.
- Using the period of change to reorganise and redesign jobs for satisfaction, performance, and commitment. At least one redesigned job role to be explained.
5 Advanced staff selection and/or staff promotion.
- Selection processes for moving internal staff around the redesigned organisation, while observing the practices of CSR and Ethics
6 Human resources development.
- Using HRD activities to prepare staff for effective performance in the changed environment.
7 Workforce planning – upsizing, downsizing, reallocation.
- Show a method for choosing which positions are redundant, how to offer Voluntary Redundancies, how to reallocate.
8 Strategic remuneration models and costing.
- Argue a case for position-based remuneration or skills based remuneration, or a combination of both. Use an example position to demonstrate your model.
9 Strategic rewards and incentives.
- Choose one position and design an incentive scheme.
10 Industrial relations strategies and practices.
- Argue a case for either staying with, or disengaging from the TAFEP and the NWC.
11 HR evaluation
- Create an HRM evaluation plan, and advise how data will be collected and used.