1. Select. Find a recent news article (published within past three months) that relates to a topic covered in Chapters 4-7 or 15. Examples: international trade policy changes, unemployment rate changes, inflation, GDP. Use only credible news sources such as BNN, CBC, National Post, Globe and Mail or magazines such as The Economist or Maclean’s. Do not use blogs.
2. Save a copy. Make sure you include a copy of the article in an appendix at the end of your assignment (in case the link gets broken). Also include a link to the article.
3. Summarize the article. Write a short bullet-point summary explaining the key points or arguments of the article. Explain only the main points of the article and make sure they flow together to summarize the article.
4. Identify the macroeconomics concepts. List the macroeconomics concept(s) that the article addresses and that you will be analyzing in detail.
5. Analyze the article. Make the connection between the article and the course theory. Use your textbook to support your explanation of:
what is happening in the situation described in the article,
why this situation is taking place, and
what you think will happen next.
Use the Economics in the News features in your textbook as models. Write and/or illustrate with appropriate graphs and economic analysis the key points in the article. Explanations must be typed, graphs can be drawn using a software or hand drawn and inserted as images.
6. Describe the impact. Explain how the information in the article and your analysis of the situation is important and relevant to Canadian businesses (i.e. why should anyone care about the information in this article?). You may create a fictitious scenario to illustrate how a business could be affected.
7. Explain your choice of article. Describe why you chose this article. What interested you about the topic?
8. Compile your report. Organize your ideas using headings and subheadings so it is easy to read.
9. Attach & reference. Include a full copy of the article that you are analysing as an appendix. If you read other news articles to help you understand the issue make sure to list them in the reference section using proper APA citation format. It is assumed that you are using your textbook for each assignment.
Factors impacting Canada's economy
The article reveals some salient facts regarding the following aspects:
- fiscal deficit that Canada have confronted with by this year amounting $ 13.5 billion
- Incident similar to this is going to impact the economic condition of the country significantly (Binette & Tchebotarev, 2019)
- From a macroeconomic perspective, the article reflects the fact that $ 1 billion sales and income tax earning is able to reduce the fiscal deficit to $ 13.5 billion
- In this process it have invigorated various economic challenges in terms of rise in debt burden (Edwards, 2018)
- Efficient fiscal management is essential to help the economic scenario to cope up with the prevailing situation
Every economy runs on the basis of the national income that it earns and reinvest within the country for its inclusive growth and ensuring the take off stage of development. In the case of Canada, the national income of the economy depends upon the sum of consumption, investment, government spending as well as the difference between the exports and the imports. The macroeconomic balance is kept when there is the possibility of the fact that the fiscal deficit can be compensated by the public financing and there is rise in the gross domestic product (Binette & Tchebotarev, 2019). Thus the parametric factor that is responsible for impacting in the economy are:
- Deficit financing and the balance of it with public expenditure
- Public financing will increase infrastructural development, creating hospitals, educational hubs and many more.
- Rise in the per capita income will take place followed by generating employment
- Monitoring the inflation rate so that it do not get very high
- Inflation rate will automatically get balanced if employment rises as both of unemployment and inflation are inversely proportional
The analysis of the article is segment in three segments in order to provide a better understanding regarding the discussion under consideration which can be represented as follows:
The article reflects the fact that the generation of higher revenue earnings is the evidence that incorporates the fact that the plan is working as the government anticipated. The financial report of the third quarter of 2018-19 revealed the fact that the accountable deficit amount in his fiscal year is lower by $ 2.5 billion as compared to previous year performance. However, projection incorporates that the country may face a rise in the fiscal deficit at the end of the year by $ 12.3 billion as it is in an endeavor to compete with the global economic headwinds.
The situation is taking place due to the reason that the crippling debt payments is the latent factor that may instigate in challenges regarding interest burdens of the rising debt as well as the financial risks associated with it. As per the quarterly reports the amount of interest that will be paid for the debt is about $ 12.5 billion (Ontario's deficit $13.5B this fiscal year, economic challenges ahead, minister says | CBC News, 2019).
The situation may give rise to economic instability in near future. Along with that, political challenges comes from the aspect when the opposition questioned about the fact that there is a substantial cut in the facilitation of public programs and services which the government will justify with the fact that it has been confronted with debt burden. Hence, raising the debt payment is a planned strategy taken by the government as per the opposition. The government official on this regard should focus on eliminating the deficits within the mandate of 4 years and thus economic balance will be prevailed based on responsible fiscal management.
Challenges associated with rising debt payments
In order to overcome the challenges that the economy may face due to probabilistically higher risk burden related to the interest payments upon debt, the anticipated measures that will bring the economy under balance by eliminating the fiscal deficit is considered to be controlling the discretionary spending.
Notably, discretionary spending relates to the aspect of government expenditure that are being done upon the transportation sector, education and hospitality sector, infrastructural development, foreign aid as well as national defense, etc. The government have incorporated the fact that it is not possible to restrict the daily needs of the country people as this will create riots and unnecessary instability within the economy. However, after the citizens pays their personal necessities like rent, cost of consumption, mortgages, utilities and taxes what remains is the unnecessary expenditures or luxury expenses as well as frivolous purchases like daily cost of coffee, travelling cost, etc. (Lerner & Stern, 2019). which the government focused on reducing. This will bring the debt burden down and keep the balance between the revenue generation and the debt pressure.
The article incorporate the importance of financial stability and economic balance as well as maintenance of a significant budget. The budgetary resolutions includes deficit projections, spending the government funds in the entitlement programs, tax policies while not spending in the activities that raises unnecessary expenses without fulfilling the common needs of the citizens of the country.
The projected change is being reflected in the aforementioned picture that may bring the debts down if the spending is done upon the necessities of the citizens and the frivolous spending are being reduced (Sims, 2016). The rapid growth in the entitlement spending which is known as the mandatory spending is important as the trend will move towards balancing the economy and boosting it towards a state of financial stability and economic development brining qualitative changes in the economy and not only quantitative changes like growth.
Based on the analysis it is been seen that there is importance of incorporating effective measures in the economy that will mitigate the risks associated with the debts as well as the interest burden associated with the debts. It is important on this regard to ensure spending in the mandatory expenditure only but not on the frivolous purchases. It will render a substantial impact on the economic outcomes of the country and stabilize its temporary locations and uncertainties within the economy as a whole. The macro economic factors like inflation, unemployment will reduce as well as economic stability will sustain in the long run. After the country becomes stable it will be possible for the country in increase spending in the luxury goods as well as attack foreign investment but before the financial stability of the country this step high risk to bring economic disturbance.
Binette, A., & Tchebotarev, D. (2019). Canada’s Monetary Policy Report: If Text Could Speak, What Would It Say? (No. 2019-5). Bank of Canada. https://www.bankofcanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/san2019-5.pdf
Edwards, C. (2018). Government Spending and the Deficit Must Be Decreased. The Federal Budget and Government Spending, 53. https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=69VoDwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PA53&dq=discretionary+spending+of+Canada&ots=WC5l9tYhPT&sig=E4liKDAs5sj5tNHgjl-thNfGzI4
Lerner, J., & Stern, S. (Eds.). (2019). Innovation Policy and the Economy, 2018 (Vol. 19). University of Chicago Press. https://books.google.co.in/books?hl=en&lr=&id=AdN5DwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PT11&dq=Canadian+Economy+Policy&ots=wIrL-Twk6B&sig=5liBoveUZgdEZjHA8hDUse_lrgQ
Ontario's deficit $13.5B this fiscal year, economic challenges ahead, minister says | CBC News. (2019). Retrieved from https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-finance-minister-vic-fedeli-provincial-government-deficit-1.5017415
Sims, C. A. (2016, August). Fiscal policy, monetary policy and central bank independence. In Kansas Citi Fed Jackson Hole Conference.
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing stye below:
My Assignment Help. (2020). Maintaining Financial Stability And Economic Balance In Canada's Economy Is Crucial For Sustained Growth. #essay. Retrieved from https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/mgmt-2401-macroeconomics-international-trade-policy-changes.
"Maintaining Financial Stability And Economic Balance In Canada's Economy Is Crucial For Sustained Growth. #essay." My Assignment Help, 2020, https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/mgmt-2401-macroeconomics-international-trade-policy-changes.
My Assignment Help (2020) Maintaining Financial Stability And Economic Balance In Canada's Economy Is Crucial For Sustained Growth. #essay [Online]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/mgmt-2401-macroeconomics-international-trade-policy-changes
[Accessed 01 March 2024].
My Assignment Help. 'Maintaining Financial Stability And Economic Balance In Canada's Economy Is Crucial For Sustained Growth. #essay' (My Assignment Help, 2020) <https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/mgmt-2401-macroeconomics-international-trade-policy-changes> accessed 01 March 2024.
My Assignment Help. Maintaining Financial Stability And Economic Balance In Canada's Economy Is Crucial For Sustained Growth. #essay [Internet]. My Assignment Help. 2020 [cited 01 March 2024]. Available from: https://myassignmenthelp.com/free-samples/mgmt-2401-macroeconomics-international-trade-policy-changes.