1. Using Summary of the Major Laws of the Department of Labor, located at http://www.dol.gov/opa/aboutdol/lawsprog.htm, choose two employment laws, and examine the impact of each law on human resources management (HRM). Support your response with specific examples of each selected law's impact on HRM.
2. Illustrate one specific example of any statute (e.g., Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, American with Disabilities Act [ADA], the Family Medical Leave Act [FMLA], or other statutes) that prohibits an organization from exercising its employment-at-will rights. Specify the rights that an employee could most successfully exercise against an organization for violating the selected statute.
3. Contrast the primary differences between independent contractors, temporary employees and volunteers. Then, examine two way in which each role differs from that of an employee. Justify your response.
4. From the e-Activity (http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types.), select two employment discrimination laws, and then provide two disparate treatment case using the same discrimination law. Review only the facts of the case, the legal issues relating to the disparate treatment, and the court's decision. Next, outline the steps the employer could have taken initially to prevent the discrimination in question. Justify your response.
5. Choose two of the following employment tests: drug tests, medical examinations, polygraphs or honesty tests, and scored test of ability. Next, analyze the manner in which the testing itself could be considered illegal when an organization does not properly use it during the employment hiring process. Justify your response.
6. Give your opinion of the purpose of the Bona Fide Occupational Qualification (BFOQ), as discussed within the text. Then, suggest two occupations where the discriminatory requirement is legal. Justify your response.
7. Review the background of affirmative action. Then, argue whether or not the intended fairness afforded by affirmative action is relevant to the 21st century, considering that organizations are typically trending toward promoting a diverse workforce. Justify your response.
8. Select two of the following types of harassment: same-sex harassment, cyber harassment, or hostile virtual environment. Investigate the significant ways in which the selected type of harassment could alter work conditions in any organization. Then, formulate a plan to minimize the selected type of harassment in the organization.
9. Using one case where an organization unfairly executed its reasonable accommodation policy, summarize the outcome of the selected case. Then, outline a corrective action plan geared toward mitigating the unfair reasonable accommodation practices within the organization in question.
10. Determine two work-life challenges that either military personnel (e.g., Reserve and National Guard, etc.), individuals with accents or English fluency concerns, or gays / lesbians may face within any organization. Examine at least two employment laws that protect your selected group. Next, outline a plan that could assist an organization in protecting the selected group from discrimination